News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Kahn

Quote from: cadimec on January 08, 2013, 03:02:02 PM
Forgot my monker:

Tim Stephens

Monker?

My car had no trunk key, still doesn't but I took out the barrel and I'm finally getting it made. I put a battery in her and pushed that button in the glove box having no idea what it did and the trunk popped open, wow!
Every time a new person sees the trunk in operation they are amazed that such a thing existed in 1961.

cadimec

Sorry - that should have read "moniker" = Australian vernacular for "signature".   Yes - Cadillac had the remote release/power pull-down in 1956 (standard on Eldorados).  Required the ignition "ON" from 1977 onwards.   Fog lights were also standard on Eldorados - including the 1961 model.  I was looking at your turn/park lamps, and noticed also a ring behind the headlight knob.  On Cadillacs with fog lights these years, that ring had 2 positions - rotating left or right.  With the headlight knob at the 1st stop (parking lights position), turning the ring left lit the park lamps, right lit the fog lamps (or the other way around).  If the car doesn't have an integral fog light switch in the headlight switch, this ring is just an ornament, and doesn't rotate to give the 2 detent positions.   Since you have 2 lamps per side in these custom-made lamps, I was wondering if one pair might be for fog light operation?  Wiring colours for front fog lights were purple, turn signals light and dark blue, and park lamps white.  My guess is that if one pair (inboard or outboard) has purple wires and the one next to it has a blue wire, then the idea was one pair are fog lamps.  (I would presume all 4 have the white wire for the 5w parking filaments in the globes).  Just a curious detail...

Tim Stephens
1963 Buick Riviera
1974 Fleetwood Talisman
1974 Coupe deVille
1974 Eldorado Coupé
1976 Seville (RHD)
1979 Seville San Remo Convertible
1990 Superior Crown Sovereign Hearse
1993 Sixty Special

N Kahn

Tim, I'll check that but both lamps come on with the turn signals and they're just regular dual filament 1157s.

Guidematic

I have had very little trouble with the later plastic pull downs. They have worked fine. The sole exception was the one on my '88 Eldorado. It was the switch that was defective, that little thing with the paddle on it. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts and put it back together. It has worked flawlessly since. That was 5 1/2 years ago.

The one on my '70 has worked great since I bought the car in 1993. And I had a '75 CDV where it didn't work when I got the car. I replaced it with one I bought from the wreckers and it worked great, but that one was really noisy compared to the others (the '70 is completely silent) but it did mean business. If anything got caught in there it would crush it.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduler program....

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

N Kahn

I got the grille all finished, I had the vertical pieces waterjetted. It's all straight now, it was a real mess, it looks great now, not perfect though, just like the rest of the car.

Before

Almost flat from being hit.

After

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Incredible work Nadeem. That car is going to shine at Amelia Island.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry

I so appreciate this being shared with us !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Walter Youshock

Simply GORGEOUS!  I wish you'd bring this car to Boston for the Grand National.  It would be the highlight of the show.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

N Kahn

I found this neat model kit on ebay.
Found this rad kit, I've never seen one

Jerry Puma

Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window

veesixteen

Both of these replicas (1961 and 1964) were part of my former collection of "all-Cadillac-LaSalle" replicas,  scale models and toys,  begun in 1964 and sold in 1989. They could be built up as "stock" or "custom" versions, like many 1/25 scale models from Jo-Han, a well-known plastic lit manufacturer  of that period.  The Palmer products were not the best quality plastic kits, nor very true to scale ... but they were still worthy of a spot in any Cadillac toy collection.  BTW. this entry has no real  bearing on the one concerning your rare, custom 1961-62 Cadillac Eldorado.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Barry

Sorry to veer off topic, but here is my 61 Continental kit by the same company!
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

N Kahn

That's a neat model, has the same ridiculous graphics as the Caddy one, thanks Barry.

Here's a video, a jarring one, of the Caddy's first drive in years under its in power, this was a week after Labor Day 2012.
http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v1/y2/r/5l8_EVv_jyW.swf?v=4611197192563&ev=0

R Schroeder

All I got was log in or sign up.........ha

N Kahn

Sorry, I think you have to be on facebook to be able to see it, I'll see if I can put it on youtube.

R Schroeder

Sorry, I could have done that. I didn't see the Facebook image in the corner of the screen.
Roy

N Kahn

got the grille installed, it looks great and it fits great, all straight.

R Schroeder

If you had not used the waterjet for cutting them out, it probably wouldn't have looked so nice. Much straighter.
Quite a car.
Roy

N Kahn

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on January 19, 2013, 07:14:11 PM
If you had not used the waterjet for cutting them out, it probably wouldn't have looked so nice. Much straighter.
Quite a car.
Roy
No doubt, my home made attempt was a failure, the grille could not have been straightened without taking it apart, it was a daunting task, but it got done.
You can really see how damaged it was before in this pic.

R Schroeder

With a car like that, you want to take your time and do it right. It is coming out real nice.
Roy