News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Kahn

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on September 10, 2012, 08:17:27 PM
Great car.

After looking at the body tag, that car started life as a regular production car.  Now that is a early number (554) and I googled when the 1961 Chicago auto show was and it was Feb 18-26, 1961.  So there is a possibility that body was pucked out for a quick modification for that show.  There would be an additional tag added somewhere on the car noting the rework.  That would most likely serve as the assest tag for cost accounting while the car was in use by the corporation.  Most show cars do not to have production labels under the hood and accessories like spare tires and jacks, so those would have been added later if the car was transferred for retail sale.

Some details on the body look cobbled and not a normal planned show car construction.  Others look spot on for a one off show car details.  Mainly the interior items look like the real deal.

The paint tag on the door jam lists Imron as available and Dulux was used.  I was in auto body vocational school in 1979 and as I recall, Imron had just came out, expensive, catalyst paint.  Dulux was the cheapest paint of the four listed.  (at least that is what my 30+ year memory is telling me).  So the car was painted late 70's early 80's.

I wonder if at that time, a donor car was found (554) because the original was shot and the rare, one off parts were transferred over to this car.  Paint code 97 is Aspen Gold Poly so that would have been a good match.  The color chips for that look grayer than the gold shown, but that could be scanning and monitor differences.

All this is speculation on my part, other than the few researched facts.  Good looking car in any regard and should be a blast to wake up and enjoy.

All the best.

David

David, great sleuthing, but the car was shown at the 1962 Chicago Auto Show, not 1961, I perused my book, "The Greatest Auto Show On Earth" again and the displayed car has dual whitewalls and one off hub caps that could be mistaken for wires, I wish I had a scanner to capture this, it is the best picture I've found yet. In 1963 another mildly customized convertible was shown that has genuine wire wheels, possibly Daytons, they sure look like that to me. I dunno what the car really is, but getting to the bottom of it is like a murder mystery, it is the most fun I've had in messing around with old cars in my whole life.

N Kahn

Finally got the pics scanned from the book, The Greatest Auto Show On Earth.

Here you can clearly see the double whitewall tires exactly like the one in the trunk and these are hubcaps for sure, albeit custom ones that would be very difficult to duplicate.

Here's a picture from the 1963 show showing a similarly mildly customized Eldorado with opened up rear wheelwells and real wire wheels, but not your typical Kelsey Hayes, these are much finer looking.

I urge all of you to buy this book, it's terrific.

Davidinhartford

That is the best photo yet.   I don't have any doubt that yours is the auto show car.   Repaint or not.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I'm 99% convinced. I'll bet you're watching your mailbox real closely these days Nadeem!  ;D 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

N Kahn

Quote from: ericdev on September 11, 2012, 02:59:45 PM
I'm 99% convinced. I'll bet you're watching your mailbox real closely these days Nadeem!  ;D

Indeed I am Eric, how long does it take usually?

I'm pretty sure the numbers written on the backside of the trunk cardboards are the SO numbers.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

They're usually pretty quick. Within 2 weeks last time I ordered a report but that was with Allied Vaughan, not GM Historical Services. BTW- I just remembered- you may want to pull the carpet up in the rear, driver's side. There's usually a paper glued on the carpet backing there. I think it's called the broadcast sheet.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

g27g28

I ordered mine from the GM heritage center this year.  She gave me the option to get them email or by regular mail.  I asked for both.  I had the email within a few days and the hardcopies within a week.
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Greg, I have several questions.
#1 Which car did you submit?
#2 Did you give them the VIN?
#3 If you did, did you receive an invoice or a cars-built sheet or neither?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

g27g28

Bob
I received the build sheet for my 1954 Coupe.  I sent the engine serial number which is the title number as well.  It shows what options the car was built with and where it was shipped.  I found it odd that there is no date on it.  It could be that there is one but some areas are washed out and hard to read.
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Guidematic

The wire wheels on that '63 may be Borranni (sic?) wheels. Bill Mitchell seemed to be fond of them and used them on many of his customes.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

David King (kz78hy)

That 1962 photo appears to be missing the rocker molding trim or the angle of the photo is off enough to not show it, but sure looks to be body color.

The body of the car is a 1961 according to your tag, so it would be odd to have that around so long to create a '62 show car.

Interesting for sure, the build sheet will be cool to see what is the deal on the 61-6367 body 554.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Davidinhartford

I don't think its odd.   This is the debut of the 62 models, so they cetainly couldn't use a stock 62 as a styling mule for 63 styling themes.

Remember, these were not concept or show cars.  These were styling excersises to try out new styling cues to see the publics reaction.   So it makes sense to me that they'd display a modified 61 at the 62 debut that features 63 styling ideas.

N Kahn

I got her home earlier today, I and my friend JT got her running in about twenty minutes, he even drove her a little bit, the brakes still have to be fixed, at the least wheel cylinders and the master cylinder need renewing.
There's a 5 digit code on the back of many of the trim pieces, it is 50110.
The lower front bumper is made out of fiberglass and is vacuum plated, it is split in multiple places but will not be difficult to repair.
The outer skin of the hood is fiberglass laminated to a steel inner structure.
The grille has been hit and is flattened in the middle, I plan on taking it out, taking it apart and straightening it, it doesn't appear to be a daunting task.
I found two Jack Nicklaus golf balls as well as a Traverse City Golf and Country Club pencil in the trunk which is hinting to the car once belonging to Walter Hagen, the story I was told.
The car is full of intriguing details that point to it being truly special the further I dig in.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounding more and more like you have a gem here.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

okccadman

Could that be "SO" instead of 50 on the stencils?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

N Kahn

Found it under the spare tire cover SO 50110, I'll put up pics, the car is Special Order 50110.

N Kahn

N Kahn

I put the parade boot on, the car looks spectacular with it .
My son and I washed her, polished all the chrome and generally spiffed her up a bit and took her for a ride around the block. The water pump is leaking so we couldn't go too far. She drives beautifully, smooth as silk, shifts on the spot, the snow tires that are on it feel flat spotted from sitting in the same place for years.

N Kahn

What I thought was the soft cover for the top is actually a bag for the parade boots, it is beautifully made

Here's the spare tire tire cover with the SO number on it, handcrafted by a trim shop employee by the name of Hudson, wherever you are Hudson, please know that 51 years after you made this there are people who still appreciate your craftsmanship.

N Kahn

The hood is made of fiberglass as is the lower front bumper
Here's some detail pics.
The driver's side headlights are pre triangle shape logo T3s

The hood ornament lights up

Back of the bumper, you can see the somewhat crude build indicative of a one off special.

The extruded aluminum pieces along the rockers are far more involved than I first thought, they aren't at all simple in their construction.