News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

As for the generator bracket, doesn't that bolt on the rear simply go through the bottom mounting hole on the generator case?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

Quote from: StevenTuck on June 20, 2023, 06:54:52 AMYour welcome.

I ended up using one screw on the back side of the body mount end. It was sticking out a bit when the door is closed. Also the door side tends to bunch up because the door hole is smaller than the conduit. I placed the bunched side on the back at the door. I guess you could cut out a section and let it overlap but I was a bit leery of doing that. My thoughts are that cut a section would cause the conduit to split all the way over time. I also thought about using the original conduit bracket. It too was smaller than the opening thus causing the same bunching. I am just happy to get something that works at all.

I still don't understand why Steele Rubber hasn't reproduced one for sale. They would make money with all the Cadillacs sold between the two years. I spoke to someone at Steele and he indicated that it was complex   to produce a reproduction.

I worked in automotive plastics and went to one of my prototype molding suppliers. To have an aluminum tool cut would have been $5000 at that time. Then the effort of modeling the boot in CAD. Then the machine time and material to run them off. Looking at $10000 investment for me to do it myself. I would need to sell a hundred to break even.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

I dropped the bins of hardware off at the platers. Only $200.  Should have them back in a week.  Then discover how many important small bits were lost in the tanks.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Clewisiii on June 20, 2023, 10:55:53 AMI dropped the bins of hardware off at the platers. Only $200.  Should have them back in a week.  Then discover how many important small bits were lost in the tanks.

LOL Think positive Carl !   Maybe a long lost Cadillac hood ornament hiding in those tanks will be in your batch.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Clewisiii

I think I have cleaned this jar now 4 times.  Could still use another pass.

I had one bracket painted black and one yellow chromate.  I decided to plate both back to yellow chromate. I can always paint one later if I decide to.  This jar was hard to fight back out of that bracket.

IMG_20230620_155248743.jpg

Clewisiii

Today will be another coat of paint on the engine and trans.  The engine is currently Bill Hirsch, the trans is Eastwood Cadillac Blue. 

Honestly I like the finish of the Eastwood much better.  But the bill Hirsch is a better color.

In the future the valve covers will need to be replaced or some serious body work. They were very pitted.  I was going to try to spend a lot of time on my parts car valve covers but the flange is bent and warped.  So those are a no go.

IMG_20230621_070846450.jpgIMG_20230621_070901434.jpgIMG_20230621_070919806.jpg   

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sorry to be what might seem to be a downer, but it like you will have your work cut out in trying to cover up all that rustification/corrosion on the Rocker Cover.   

The trouble you might encounter is with the heat of the engine creating problems with the filler required to fill the depressions.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 21, 2023, 07:23:06 AMSorry to be what might seem to be a downer, but it like you will have your work cut out in trying to cover up all that rustification/corrosion on the Rocker Cover.   

The trouble you might encounter is with the heat of the engine creating problems with the filler required to fill the depressions.

I will sand away half. And fill the rest with high heat lab metal.

Clewisiii

Bill Hirsch is slow drying. Says so right on the label when warning about reducers. Last time took over a day to dry. Especially on bolt heads. 

Which is really annoying since they decided to paint the power steering pump pulley blue. That does not directly attach to the engine. I am going to have to wait a day to flip this over and paint the other side.

But I started early and it will be 87 today. So I hope it helps to "bake" in the paint.

IMG_20230621_092429432.jpgIMG_20230621_091943247.jpgIMG_20230621_091934941.jpg   

Clewisiii

Finally, the whole reason I built this contraption is going to pay off.

I need to stop by harbor freight to see if they have a lifting plate or balancer bar.

IMG_20230621_123006877.jpgIMG_20230621_123015430.jpgIMG_20230621_123024128.jpg   

Lexi

Looking forward to seeing the finsihed results. Clay/Lexi

Clewisiii

When I first pulled apart the motor everyone warned me not to lose this part. That it often goes to the machine shop and gets lost in cleaning tanks. 

Well after years of floating around in my garage labeled simply as "You Know What This Is" it will be reinstalled this weekend. 

Can anyone actually confirm the function.  Does it just act as a spacer or like a thrust bearing?

Why didn't the just not machine the crank as deep to eliminate the need.  IMG_20230621_145400226.jpg

Clewisiii

Quick note. Soon I am going to ask for info on the complete stack up of gaskets and materials for the carb. I know about a year ago there was an article in the Quick Starter. But I think that was mostly about the Carter and not the Rochester.

Thanks in advance.

Clewisiii

9 years ago I bought these spark plugs the day before I actually picked up my car. When I naively Thought I could break it free and tune it up to run.  In that time they have only been used for dust plugs. I need a new set now. IMG_20230621_165202797.jpg

Cadillac Jack 82

I love Bill Hirsch paint....its always spot on.  Nothing upsets me more than seeing a beautiful Cadillac with the wrong color engine paint. 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Carl,

What is wrong with simply cleaning off the paint from the plugs.   Simple to do with a wire wheel.

Plus, before using your nice new electric hoist, check to see just how slow, or fast, the weight is raised or lowered when you press the correct button.   If it is fast, then you will have to be careful when lowering the engine into its position, as it will be difficult to move it slowly to where it has to go, and clear stuff.

If it is fast, you can slow it down by using a couple of extra pullies in the cable to really slow it down.   Turning it into a three or four pulley system will make using it a dream.

This is one reason why I like using either a chain haul, or my mechanical jack with my own crane, as those Hydraulic lifts can get too jerky when critically lowering.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Thanks Bruce. It is slow. I already have it double pulled.

Clewisiii

What is it Wednesday

Going through boxes and bags finding all the little pieces I need to build up the engine. Came across this bag. This stuff has been in there maybe 7 years. 

Top of gas tank pad to body
A Arm ground strap
Wiper motor broken ground strap
E Brake cable to trailing arm clamp

IMG_20230621_213458925.jpg

Clewisiii

I just wanted to see what it looked like with the manifolds on.

It is true two bolts are shorter then the rest. By about 1/2 an inch.  I will work on that. 

IMG_20230621_221742702.jpgIMG_20230621_221749260.jpgIMG_20230621_221757047.jpgIMG_20230621_221813153.jpg   

Clewisiii

In making a rod to prime the oil with a drill, do I remove the existing rod and go right down to the oil pump itself.  If I remember right that is just a slotted rod. Where the top of the existing rod to distributor is round with a flat spot on one side.