News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

64 Cadillac waterpump

Started by Brian Daum, January 21, 2009, 01:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

For whatever reason and I haven't been able to figure it out exactly, when you use air pressure in the cylinder, and this happened to me 3 times, you loose prime in the oil system and the engine will start with 0 oil. after happening 3 times If for any reason I would  use air pressure to hold the engine I would be sure and prime the oil pump before starting the engine.
A screwdriver works to hold the engine, but until you use the proper (Kentmore) tool to remove the damper, you don't know what an easy job it really is.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Brian Daum

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on February 22, 2009, 10:21:08 AM
For whatever reason and I haven't been able to figure it out exactly, when you use air pressure in the cylinder, and this happened to me 3 times, you loose prime in the oil system and the engine will start with 0 oil. after happening 3 times If for any reason I would  use air pressure to hold the engine I would be sure and prime the oil pump before starting the engine.
A screwdriver works to hold the engine, but until you use the proper (Kentmore) tool to remove the damper, you don't know what an easy job it really is.
Greg

Hi Greg,

Right now I`m trying to get the damper back on again. I checked on the Kentmore tool, but they were just too costly.

I`ll probably wind up holding the flywheel with a screwdriver.
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1998 Cadillac DeVille d`Elegance

Glen

If you have a compression tester check the hose. 

Many of the compression testers have a coupling in the hose that fits a standard compressor hose fitting. 

You can see one here:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2004274/c-10112/Nty-1/p-2004274/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10112/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=compression+tester&reviewflag=1#review

(You have to scroll up to see the picture)

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

1964deville

Hi Brian, looks like you're nearing the end. Sounds good! As for holding the crankshaft, I would also remove the starter and use something to jam it.

Yesterday I got the timing chain cover off. Ofcourse, now I'm still stuck with two broken bolts (if you look at the attachment, it's the two 'B' bolts on the right side). They're now both broken...(I'm not sure how to say this) even/flat with the engine block. So nothing is coming out. I have to drill these out (they're only in there for as long as a centimeter or something). Then I want to create new thread exactly the same size as the original bolts (I have to check my manual for the exact figures).

This weekend I'm going to clean everything and try to find the right tools for creating the new thread.

Something about the timing chain...can you guys tell something about the amount of play that it must/ can have? Mine has some play and I'm not sure if I have to replace the timing gear chain and sprockets. Thanks a lot.

Best regards, Luc

Luc Reintjes
The Netherlands
1964 Six Window Sedan Deville
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/3204734316_2df2ba30a8_b.jpg

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Luc,
I don't envy you about the broken bolts, but many of us have gone through the same thing.  Just be careful and chances are with judicious use of a drill and an extractor, you can remove the broken bolts.
Regarding the other issue, as long as you have the timing cover off, it would be foolish not to replace the timing set and the oil pump gears.
If you had adequate oil pressure at idle before, chances are good the oil pump cavity of the cover is okay.  Check for any scoring of the pump cavity walls  and be sure to pack the pump with Vaseline to help prime the oil system.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Brian Daum

Hi Luc,

I agree with Greg that you should change the timing set and gear, although I didn`t. My car has 33k and everything looked like new.

One new tip: Wait with putting on the oil filter bracket/oil filter assy until after you have mounted the upper waterpump cross over.

1964deville

Thanks a lot guys....I will order a new timing set. I always had good oil pressure in any circumstances.

Thanks for the other tips too!

Luc
Luc Reintjes
The Netherlands

1964deville

Hi folks,

Last week I decided to make an appointment with a nearby shop to get her fixed. Following your advice, the timing set must be replaced and I think if I look at this project (including proper installation of the timing set, front cover, balancer, waterpump etc.) I think I'm better off letting someone else do this (instead of me probably doing it twice).

Anyway, won't be long till she's ready to make some miles.

Brian, how are you and your car doing?

Luc
Luc Reintjes
The Netherlands

Brian Daum

Quote from: 1964deville on March 16, 2009, 04:39:29 AM
Hi folks,

Last week I decided to make an appointment with a nearby shop to get her fixed. Following your advice, the timing set must be replaced and I think if I look at this project (including proper installation of the timing set, front cover, balancer, waterpump etc.) I think I'm better off letting someone else do this (instead of me probably doing it twice).

Anyway, won't be long till she's ready to make some miles.

Brian, how are you and your car doing?

Luc

Hey Luc,

Are you giving up on us now?  :)  You can`t go wrong changing the timing gear, that is an easy job. Well, I shouldn`t be so sure what I do is correct either, we`ll know once it`s together.

I`ve been away on vacation to NYC for a week, but I`ll start working on it tomorrow. I`ll keep you posted.

Sweede64

Hi Brian.
Been reading yout ordeal regarding the bolt, lots of work for a tiny thing like that.
I sugest that you get the tool for installing the harmonicbalancer, otherwise you my end up ripping the threads out from the crank!
The tool concist of a hardend bolt with a fitting for a wrench an a nut pressing on the balancer and a big, thick washer in betweene, if you check at www.hansenracing.se they have the tool you need and ship to Norway.
It costs 765 sek plus PP, think it 600 nok, article nr. MOR61744

good luck
Thomas K
Thomas Karlström

Brian Daum

Hei Thomas,

Jeez, probably just what I`m looking for, I just sent an email to Hansen Racing.

Are you 100% sure that will work on a 64 429?

Tusen takk!

Sweede64

Brian.

The tool has four different studs, check this link http://www.dougherbert.com/harmonicbalancerinstallationtool-p-14216.html?cPath=78_381 i think you have 5/8 unf?

Hope my hint was helpful.
Thomas.
Thomas Karlström

bill henry

Quote from: Sweede64 on March 19, 2009, 04:34:31 PM
Brian.

The tool has four different studs, check this link http://www.dougherbert.com/harmonicbalancerinstallationtool-p-14216.html?cPath=78_381 i think you have 5/8 unf?

Hope my hint was helpful.
Thomas.
i believe its 9/16 unf
Bill Henry

Brian Daum

I can confim that it is 9/16 UNF.

And it doesn`t look like that one is included in the kit that Thomas suggests.

Yesterday, while trying to take off the starter, of course the front starter bracket to oil pan bolt broke off....GRRRR.
Not that it matters much, there is enough bolts holding the starter. I just hope I don`t get an oil pan leak now.

I have taken off hundreds of starters before, but this one is giving me a hard time....what else is new...

Brian Daum

Forget about removing the starter, forget about fancy tools..

There is one easy way of holding the engine while tightening the 9/16 balancer bolt:

Today I used a oil filter removal tool with the leather strap, held the balancer with one hand and tightened the bolt with the other.

Why didn`t I think of this before. Worked perfect.  Took me 5 minutes to get the balancer in place.

Getting pretty close to start up now, keep fingers crossed for no leaks.

1964deville

Sounds good  Brian :) My timing set is on its way from the US to Europe as we speak.

A clever way to hold the crankshaft, you gotta be pretty strong to hold it I guess.

Anyway, hope it'll be free of leaks. Good luck.

Luc
Luc Reintjes
The Netherlands

Sweede64

Congrats, Brian, to bad the tool didn't work but you solved it anyway ;)
Broke a bolt to my exhaust manifold today :'(, same shit different location. Now the head is off so it wont be to hard to fix.
Going somewhere in Sweden this summer?
Thomas Karlström

Brian Daum

MISSION COMPLETED.

Got the car together today, fired it up, it ran like a champ with only a slight fuel and water leak, nothing major.

Thanks to all for all support and help!

Hi Sweede64: Hope to make it to Power Meet or Rattvik one time, not this year, but maybe next.

1964deville

Congrats Brian! Nice Work  8)

Now have fun, you've earned it...

@Sweede64: We'll be driving to Vasteras this year, all the way from Holland  ;D I'm not driving the Caddy, we're taking my brother's '71 Chrysler Three hundred. The plan is to first visit an American car junkyard, somewhere in the south of Sweden. Then drive on to the western parc 'High Chaparral'. Wednesday we will arive at the scene in Vasteras.

Luc
Luc Reintjes
The Netherlands

1964deville

Well, to keep you updated on the project.....Last Saturday I could finally deliver the car to the shop. After six long weeks the timing chain and sprockets arrived in The Netherlands. Now it's fingers crossed that everything works out fine and I can drive it after months....

I'll let you guys know.

BR, Luc
Luc Reintjes
The Netherlands