News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Maharani and "Raindrop" Eldorado for Sale at RM Auction in January

Started by Richard Sills - CLC #936, November 25, 2009, 03:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Two unique Cadillacs, the 1956 Maharani (a Motorama show car sometimes referred to as the "Kitchen Sink Car") and the 1958 Eldorado "Raindrop" car, will be offered for sale at the RM Auction in Phoenix in January 2010.  The RM website has pictures and descriptions of both cars.

Jeffrey Burland

I was wondering about the raindrop car as they'd put it up last month without description. I like the EB wheels and buckets and console. http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AZ10&CarID=r120

Here's the '56
http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AZ10&CarID=r125
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

Otto Skorzeny

How lame.

The Raindrop Car doesn't even function as such. What's the point?

It only works as a regular convertible by flipping the switch which defeats the purpose of calling it the "Raindrop Car" in the first place, doesn't it? Why not just buy regular 58?

That would be like restoring a Ford Retractable and welding the hardtop permanently in place because you couldn't find all the hydraulic parts.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Barry Norman

Would really like to see a video of the top in operation ! Fascinating car !!!!!!!
Barry Norman

Quentin Hall Australia

Otto,
      Why would you say it was lame? . It was a factory prototype, one of four or five I believe. As I am currently restoring two 53 Eldos and seeing the complex parade boot mechanism first hand it is interesting that the later model Eldos had a three piece "afterthought" fibreglass cover.  Personally as a styling feature I love the parade boot. I had a 57 59 Biarritz and they just look so sharp with the parade boot installed. Mind you I rarely used them as I liked the freedom of being able to raise and lower the top at will.
       The 53 Eldo parade boot is all steel but the roof is a chore to raise and lower and even came with a step by step sequence instruction.
       The later (54 thru 60) fibreglass ones were a pain in the butt to store and install and were often discarded. Obviously Cadillac knew this and hence the 58 exercise to streamline the appearance and operation. Thunderbirds and Lincolns had it all over GM in the conv roof technology stakes in my opinion, but were not without their own limitations. See the related link to the prototype 65 Eldo, so it was a continuing "design issue" that Cadillac was trying to address.
          More than likely the "raindrop sensor" was a gimmick to help sell the idea to the public. Harley was a showman afterall. Remember this was 1958.
            I would love to own a raindrop car. Now if only I can find my piggy bank.
             Quentin.

Otto Skorzeny

I guess my point was that the feature that makes the car so unique and for which the car is named, is not even functioning on the vehicle. What's the point of a raindrop car if you have to raise the roof just like any other convertible? It seems to be a lot less unique that way.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Barry Norman

It's not at all like the regular convertible. Power tonneau, power lock to windshield, bucket seats --it has Many special features.
Barry Norman

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on November 28, 2009, 04:47:51 PM
What's the point of a raindrop car if you have to raise the roof just like any other convertible? It seems to be a lot less unique that way.   
You seem to forget that the "Raindrop" feature was put there so that the top could be raised if it started to rain and the owner wasn't near the car.   Like parked out in the open somewhere.

But, would be a pain if there was something in the way, like a tree branch and the top went up, catching itself in a really strong limb as it tried to close itself after the sensor was fooled into believing that bird droppings were rain.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall Australia

G'day Bruce,
                Just as I sometimes cry in exasperation to my kids. . . "there always has to be a poo joke in there somewhere".
               Q

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Richard:

Thanks for sharing this information with us.  Both of these cars are interesting in their own right.  It would be interesting to see how the bidding turns out.  Hopefully someone who attends this auction will give us a report.

Charles D. Barnette

Joe Bortz, the famous car collector of Chicago, has reminded me that at the RM Auctions to be held in Phoenix, Arizona, on January 21 and 22, 2010, two special Cadillacs will be up for sale. Those are the fabulous one of a kind 1956 Cadillac Maharani Motorama Car also known as the "Kitchen Sink Cadillac" and one of five 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Convertibles known as "Raindrop Dream Cars" (because the convertible top was rain-activated to raise the moment a drop of rain was detected by the car's special sensors). I hope they both find good homes. They are both national treasures! Charles-these two cars combined could sell for half a million dollars it is estimated.

Charles D. Barnette

At this same auction these additional non-Cadillac show cars are up for grabs: the 1954 Mercury XM-800, the 1956 Chrysler Plainsman (a station wagon), and the 1995 Lincoln Sentinel (a "styling buck" only with no engine or drivetrain). Charles D. Barnette

Joe Manna

Who owns the 58? I know the 56 is in NY.
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Charles D. Barnette

Joe, I do not know for sure. I have sent an email to Mr. Bortz to see if he owns it or if he knows who does. I will let you know by posting Mr. Bortz's response once received. Charles

Sweede64

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on November 25, 2009, 05:08:05 PM
How lame.

It only works as a regular convertible by flipping the switch which defeats the purpose of calling it the "Raindrop Car" in the first place, doesn't it? Why not just buy regular 58?

That would be like restoring a Ford Retractable and welding the hardtop permanently in place because you couldn't find all the hydraulic parts.

There is no hydraulic parts on a Ford Retractable...... its all mechanic and electric.... and for the cadillac , its a unice car.
Thomas Karlström

Jeffrey Burland

Quote from: Bill Hedge CLC 14424 on November 28, 2009, 09:26:59 PM
Hopefully someone who attends this auction will give us a report.

I maintain the database for Hi-Bid.com and will post the results here after the auction. Jeff

Charles D. Barnette

Before I hear back from Mr. Bortz, I have done some research on my own and determined that the "Raindrop" car being offered has to be the blue one owned or previously owned by Mr. Rick Racibarski of Chicago. The RM Auctions' flier on the auction shows a picture of the car being blue and without the 59 fins like the red 58 car in Florida which is the only other "Raindrop" Cadillac of the 5 known to exist. Charles-perhaps Mr. Bortz can verify.

Jeffrey Burland

Bill Buckingham

Quote from: Charles D. Barnette on December 03, 2009, 05:59:46 PM
Before I hear back from Mr. Bortz, I have done some research on my own and determined that the "Raindrop" car being offered has to be the blue one owned or previously owned by Mr. Rick Racibarski of Chicago. The RM Auctions' flier on the auction shows a picture of the car being blue and without the 59 fins like the red 58 car in Florida which is the only other "Raindrop" Cadillac of the 5 known to exist. Charles-perhaps Mr. Bortz can verify.

That is the car still owned by Rick Raciborski.  I think it has about 9K on the clock.
Bill Buckingham
CLC # 1976
1957 Eldo Brougham
1958 Fleetwood 60S

Bill Buckingham

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on November 25, 2009, 05:08:05 PM
How lame.

Well, where would you get the parts since it was not a production car, unlike the retractable in your example?  I think the story behind them (at least the blue one) was that the car was dismantled and slated to be destroyed like the rest of the Motorama cars.  The "raindrop" components were kept by GM, and that's where the story gets hairy.  The rest was supposed to be destroyed but somehow was saved by the owner prior to the current owner.  He put it back together as far as he could go.  All of the special appearance items are intact (front & rear bucket seats, interior console that runs from front to back, steel convertible top boot that is power operated, IIRC).  It's been a long time since I've heard the story. 
Bill Buckingham
CLC # 1976
1957 Eldo Brougham
1958 Fleetwood 60S