News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

I am looking for a V16 engine to rebuild. doesn't matter what condition

Started by Dustin Hamilton, December 21, 2009, 11:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin Hamilton

I am looking for a V16 to build.  I would like to have the 452 but I will take what I can get!  I will take an incomplete engine as well.  Any help on finding one of these engines would be greatly appriciated.   Thanks for any help!  My email address is   dhamilton3456@hotmail.com   

dhamilton56

Does anyone know where i could find a V16 engine?  I know that cadillac made them in the 1930's...finding one is proving very difficult.  If anyone has any v16 engine parts, I would be interested in them...maybe I can piece one together over time!

Is there anyone out there that sells parts for these engines?  I would imagine that the cam would need to be custom built, if the original is no good??

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dustin,
There are more 1930 V-16 motors around because they made the most,by FAR, in that year. They are around, but usually stripped of all the "goodies". Read that as valley cover,carbs, manifolds, starter & gen. Those are the hard parts to find. Many people have beat the bushes before you.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

TJ Hopland

There were 2 versions right?  Wasnt one like 45* and the other 160*?   Did they share any parts?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chris Cummings

TJ,

You're right about there having been two different Cadillac V-16 engines.  There was an overhead-valve V-16 produced for the 1930 through 1937 model years with a 45 degree V angle.  For model years 1938 through 1940, there was a side valve (flathead) V-16 with a 135 degree angle.  You can read about both engines and the cars they powered in The (New) Cadillac Database, Yann Saunders's magnificent on-line collection of Cadillac facts and pictures.  The Database is accessible from the CLC home page, and it has an extensive section on the Cadillac V-16.

Hope that helps,

Chris Cummings
CLC #20072

Dustin Hamilton

Thanks for the heads up on all the info!!  There is a water pump and a timing chain on ebay, I have sourced a distrubutor cap and few other small trivial parts for a V16 but THATS IT...   I don't have the first clue where to look for one of these things, if anyone has some advice or contacts please let me know!  The more research I do and the more I think about it....I NEED a vintage V16

MattV16

May I ask what you are looking to spend for a complete drivetrain? Maybe I can help. ;)

Al

What are they worth?  Don't see to many of them for sale.  I know it depends on the condition, so lets say a rebuildable core to a fresh rebuild.  

Jeff Maltby 4194

This rebuilt early V-16 engine recently sold at auction for $10k.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jim Stamper

It is unclear to me what your over all plan is. If you just want to get involved with a many cylindered engine, why not a Lincoln V-12 from the Zephyr/Continental class? There are zillions out there, parts are cheap, and available, and when finished someone will buy it when you are tired of looking at it. Some speed parts are available too.

It would take deep pockets and much patience to piece together  a V-16 unless you can find one made into a saw motor some where. If you doubt this, check Otto's list of suppliers for V-16 parts and price just a few things you might need. If money is no object, buy a car with the V-16 in it already, and have a ball.

Dustin Hamilton

If I was at that auction I probably would have bought that engine!!  Im thinking around $5000 for a rebuildable core?? 

Well, Ive got big plans for this engine...it's not going in a Cadillac.  I am going to build a rod, starting with an early/mid 30's 2 door sedan body.  It's not going to be a "run of the mill" or typical ratrod...it will be along the lines of a ratrod (chopped top, low to the gound, fenderless) but with more class.  I am going to build this car with some early Cadillac enspired details.  The engine has to be something very different, something that will have people saying WOW!  To me, the V16 is the only way to go on this kind of build...I have thought about the V12s out there and even the "W" type engines, but the V16 really fits in better with what I have in mind.  The engine is going to be the biggest expense of the project, other than my time in the fabrication process.

Even though this is going to be a custom rod, I do not want to molest a V16 (If I can get one..).  I want to keep the engine as close to factory as possible. 

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

MattV16

It would be almost impossible to buy even a rebuildable core for only $5000. I would say that almost all V16 drivetrains are known. I hope you do find one. As I said in our email, if you want a V16, I will sell you one, early V16  or late V16, I have them both but it's going to cost ya.  ;)

dhamilton56

Well, I've been getting a few emails from people that have V16 engines.  Some complete and some not.  I am not sure what to buy...I may end up with a 38-40 135 degree flathead.  How common are freeze cracks in the block of these engines?  Where do the cracks usually appear and how much do they effect the strength of the block? 

You guys out there that have rebuilt V16s, where can I find head gaskets?  I am not too worried about the rest of the gaskets, I can make those or have them cut for me. 

MattV16 what will it take to buy that early 16? or the late model? maybe both...a package deal.  Shoot me an email, I would really like to know more about the condition of them and maybe a pic or 2 

If anyone else has a V16 engine or just parts, let me know...

I really apprciate the replys you guys have been giving me, thanks!!!!

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

Thanks Chris Cummings for the pictures in 05.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194