News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WTB 1937 Cadillac Front & Rear Bumper Emblems

Started by Dan Sibila, December 08, 2010, 07:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Sibila

Hi everyone,

Looking to obtain front & rear bumper emblems for my 1937 Cadillac 7519.  Any leads are appreciated!

Dan
CLC Member

Classic

The round emblems/medallions are the same as used on the wheel covers, and are available from Hirsch, Cooper's, McVey, etc.  The stamped steel ridged plates that they mount to, which bolt to the bumper, are not readily available as far as I know.  I did hear a few years ago a rumor that someone had cast some out aluminum, but that's all I know.  Perhaps another member will know.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Stinson

I would also like to purchase the two good plates (stamped steel ridged plates) and two good pumper guards. Can't find them, but know about Hirsh having the medalions. Also, need one of the clips welded to the bumper, used to bolt the bumper to the car frame.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Dan Sibila

Gene,

Thanks for the information!

Ty,

Good luck as well!

Dan

Stinson

Hello Dan,
You have a great looking car. Is it original (a survivor)?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

harvey b

Hi Dan,one thing to watch for if you buy the repro medallions,i was told that the mounting pins are not the same as the originals,the placement of them is different,if you mounted them in the plate in the bumper they would be at about 2 o,clock position as opposed to 12 o,clock where they should be?,I have personally not seen the repros up close so i cant verify it.However if you did get some that were like that,they could be used on the hubcaps,would not matter how they point there?,again this is something i have heard about,if buying them at a flea market or some place,make sure you measure them,i once bought a pair that i was sure they were for a 37,turns out they were for a 55,they were to big of a diameter to fit my car,The pic i have attached shows the 55 style,they look very close but are too big. HTH Harvey

Harvey Bowness
Frenchfort PEI
Harvey Bowness

Dan Sibila

Hi Ty,

Thank you for the compliment.  The car exterior and interior is from my understanding original.  The back end needed replaced and was done so with a '38 which was not an exact fit but the prior owner, a machinist by trade, clearly knew what he was doing.  He also rebuilt the engine and added a switchable 6 volt fuel pump near the tank and an AMSOIL oil filter system.  This ca is as smooth and powerful as I could imagine it ever being!  The glass is delaminating pretty good in the back window and there is door sag as well as the wood moulding is loose due to rubber dry rotting etc, etc.  Overall, she is my favorite 20-footer!   Looked at your V-12 engine rebuild and it is amazing.  Keep us updated on the 85 Series!

Hi Harvey,
Thanks for the detail on the medallions.  Very helpful!  If anyone has any schematics on the actual plate holding the medallions I have a long cold winter to work on recreation!  There clearly is some demand for these. 

Regards,
Dan

Stinson

Hello Dan,
Unless someone can lend you a very good example to use, I would be glad to send my two for you to look at regarding a pattern. They are too bad to chrome plate, but could be used as a pattern. I could send photos if you would like to see them first.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

John Tozer #7946

Ty,

I have a pair of bumper/over-riders in very good condition if they will help.

John Tozer

Stinson

Hello John,
I would like to purchase them if you would like to sell them. Or, are you offering them as a pattern? Because this is not my original thread, Dan should have the first opportunity to purchase them. I would buy them.
Many thanks,
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

John Tozer #7946

Ty,

I thought Dan only wanted the centre badges and badge plate (with the corrugated ends). These are the bumper over-riders but I see from the photo that he seems to be missing these too. I have two sets - one obviously from the front of a car that have a single hole (about 3/8") drilled in one side - appears to have been for a light or water bag bar of some sort - the other set are clean.

Let me know,

Regards,

John Tozer

Stinson

Hello John,
Dan and I may both want the same things. I would like to have a very clean set of bumper overides (the single verticle units having one bolt each through the bumper) and I need two of the corrugated plates that the badges attach to. I think Dan intends to make these corrugated plates from a pattern and may purchase the badges from Hersh.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Dan Sibila

Hi John and Ty:  I need the entire plate as I have nothing there.

Sounds like Ty and I are after the same thing.  Obviously prefer purchase over reacreation.  Let's figure this one out.  Will contact you individually via email later tonight.

Thanks!
Dan

P.S.  Attached a close-up to help understand the missing part.

Stinson

Hello Dan,
Merry Christmas, and I hope all is going well. I have not heard from you. Apparently John plans to make these plates to sell, so maybe we are in luck.
Ty
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Phil Taylor

Are we speaking of the center "Cadillac" plate and Bumper Guards?  I may have some guard that arn't in the best shape, but will require some "Digging" if you know what I mean ;-)  As for the Center Plates, only the digging will determin that.....

Phil

John Tozer #7946

Hi Phil,

I have a feeling that centre plate (and mayne even the bumper bar itself) is off a later year model but just in case, what model is your car?

Regards,

John Tozer

Phil Taylor

I wasn't sure if there was a big change betweem 37 v 38  Mine is a 38 6119.

Phil

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Phil, Your bumpers fit 38 cars only. Much different than 37. The plates are called escutcheon plates & fit all 38 & 39 cars. I thought someone reproduced  them.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Phil Taylor

Looked up some pictures of 37's    Big Difference.......   Learn something every day

Phil

Steve Passmore

The reference to someone making these 37 plates in alloy may have been referring to me in my past restoration topic, I was missing a plate and had one cast and chromed , the finished item for logistical reasons is slightly thicker, unnoticeable when on the car.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe