News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Series 62 4 Door Sedan

Started by OSK, January 29, 2012, 09:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OSK

Here is my Restoration project I found this summer for on a smoking deal I made on trade. I have been collecting information on the car ever since I picked it up to make sure I get every detail on the car correct prior to going forward. The car is in amazing shape as it was stored assembled for about 25 years, then went to another owner that took it all apart and it sat inside for about another 25 or so years. All the steel is really solid on the car, does have some very minor repairs that will need to be done here and there but otherwise there is not much body work to do. The biggest task is all the little pieces being restored to their correct fitment, function and of course color. The odometer reads pretty low mileage and I believe it is the original mileage since the last time tabs were done on the car was 1965!

I have contacted some vintage shops that do apholstery and for some of the finer detail items I'd rather send to an expert, but the majority of the car will be done by me alone. The motor seems to be in really good shape, but I am still going to tear it down and inspect it just the same. Attached are some pics of the car as I found it and some infomation that I have been able to put together since from various sources. I was on some other forum sites but was directed here for such a rare car and in need of specific information pertaining to a car that in reality was only done for 3 years and of those 3 47' was the year that many options changed to add even more luxury to an already superb luxury car.

1947 Cadillac Series 62
Style # 47-6269 (1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan & Coupe w/o Power Windows)
Body # FW 9272 (#9,272)
Trim # 71 (Blue-Grey Dual Cord)
Paint # 2K 2(Antoinette Blue) (K-Under Seat Heater)
Wheel Options (Antoinette Blue or Vin Red)

Additional Options
Hydra-Matic Drive
Radio
Rear compartment radio & antenna (75 only)
Vacuum antenna
Automatic underseat heating system
Ventilating defroster heater
Windshield washer
Special steering wheel
Trim rings
Wheel discs
Outside mirror (Right or left, dealer installed)
Fog lights
Spot light (Right or left, dealer installed)
Backup light
Day-Night rearview mirror
License frames

Options Installed
-HydraMatic Drive
-Radio
-Vacuum Antenna
-Automatic Underseat Heater
-Windshield Washer
-Fog Lights
-Spot Light
-License Frames
-Ventilating Defrost Heater
-Backup Lights
-Trim Rings?
-Wheel Discs?

OSK

Some more pics

gary griffin

Very nice car.  I hope you will keep a running blog going so we can all see your progress. I am in the final 20% of a restroation and have a small caution flag to wave. You mentioned that your engine is low miles but you will dissasemble it and check it out. My engine ran quite well with good compression and I was going to leave it alone but in the process of removing an after market oil cleaner some head bolts were broken. It happens often because the head bolts on the 346 engine protrude into the water jacket and become quite rusted and impossible to remove in one piece. If I were you with a good running and low mileage engine I would seriously consider leaving it alone and only replace exterior components. Now two months later and $???? I am approaching the point where my engine will be rebuilt and ready to reinstall.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

RussK

That will look good when you are finished, I agree with Gary if possible try not to disassemble the motor if you don’t have too.
Mine is a 46 4D like yours, but some where in the past some one installed a 49 OHV motor in it. :'( I rather have the OE flat head. I may or may not convert it back, but only time will tell.
keep us updated on your progress
Russell kidd