News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Looking for Set of 4 used tires-P235 75R15's

Started by Tom Forsberg, August 07, 2011, 08:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Forsberg

Have a 76 Eldorado which will only ever be a local driver...Looking for a used set of whitewall 235 75R15's.  Can be 6-7 years old.  Current tires are cracking between treadlines.
1956 series 62 CoupeDeVille

TJ Hopland

225's fit fine also, may give you some more options.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

EAM 17806

TOM!  I wouldn't put 225s on the 76. This Eldo is a heavy car and needs the 235s. Of course the 225s will fit on the rim but it's not as stong a tire as the 235 and that's why the factory installed the 235s. Be patient, you'll find the right ones with 1.6" white walls that came with the car in 76. I have a 76 and would never entertain the thought of putting 225s on it. Good Luck.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Eric S. Maypother #15104

I don't know if you have a Tire Warehouse near you but I was at my local 1 recently and they had some cheap new tires that size and about 1.5 inch WW for about $60 each, I think they were Kelly's. I don't know about the quality but I think they would be fine for an around town car.

http://www.tirewarehouse.net/

Those particular tires don't show on there website and they don't list prices but you could call a store and see if they have them and how much.

I see people on eBay and craigslist wanting that much for used tires. then your lucky to find a matching set or someone close by. I think even in junk yards you'd have trouble finding that size nowadays unless their truck tires.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Chuck Swanson

I have a set currently on my 69 Limo.  Uniroyal radial whitewall (1.6"???..not sure, but close) Have been driving on them all summer.  Not sure of age as I just got car in April.  Some inner wear on one set (they were on front but I rotated to back).  Plenty of tread, but I do see some minor cracking between some treadlines...defintely not more than 2/32nds....see http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-replacement-guidelines.aspx
...not sure how bad yours are though.  email for detailed pics.  I was thinking of putting bias plys on the limo so it looks more original. 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Joe Gildea #3736

Hi Tom -
I have a New England Region friend (?) that has five (5) Michelins in this size with zero miles (never been mounted).  His e-mail address is  jerrychase5@yahoo.com   His telephone number is [(508) 222-4316].  These are in great shape, with no rot or cracking.
- J. Gildea

Chuck Swanson

Just remebered this post today.  Bought another 66 Convertible recently.  Has a new set of 235 75R15's on it.  4 brand new tires with the blue still on the whitewall, never used.  Was going to put them on my Limo, but thinking of putting correct Bias plys on instead.  Anyone still need?
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Guys, keep in mind that the latest recommendation from both auto makers
and tire producers is that a 6 (six) year life span is recommended for safety
reasons.

I would not have a problem stretching that a few years for a "show car"
that sees minimum mileage -- but for highway driving it's risky.  Heat, due
to running at Interstate speeds, is the biggest cause of failure of tires
past their recommended life span.  This applies even if they look "new"
and have almost original tread.

When in doubt, check the date code on the sidewall.  For info on how
to interpret these codes:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4621263_read-tire-date-codes.html

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Greg Powers

I have to second Mike's warning. Due to recent litigation tire companies have limited their liability by advising that their warranty ends at 6 - 7 years depending on the brand. If you have ever seen a tire come apart you will know why you don't want to run a tire too long. As the tread pulls away from the carcass the tread will often beat the side of the car causing sometimes hundreds of dollars in damage. If it happens to be a front tire it can cause loss of control and possible crash. Import tires such as Hankook and Kumho make nice whitewalls in most all of the Cadillacs sizes (215/70r15, 225/75r15 , 235/75r15, 235/70r15). Unless you plan to make your car a show car, as such a bias tire is correct application in many cases, spend a few dollars and make your car a safe driver at all speeds. - Greg
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Chuck Swanson

Sure on the age.  I have always used the tire rack site for that info myself.....good info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138&

They also have some good pics of example markings in tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&

Going back to my earlier post, to clarify, my new tires on the 66 have a 2011 manufacture date. 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Hankk17

I just got a set of Cooper 235 75R15s from NTB for my '76 SDV I just picked up.  they have a thin whitewall and don't look that bad at all.  $92 per tire as of last week.  definitely recommend doing the new tires vs. the used route.  NTB will give you sidewall and tread protection and lifetime balancing.  definitely the way to go.
Wherever you go... There you are

Cadillac Nut

Chaz,
I might be interested in your 235/75R/15 tires.   How much do you want for them?  E-mail me at gbtrains@wowway.com if they are still available. 

Thank you,
Garrett Baker

Series75

So if I have a low mileage 2006 Deville with the originial tires I should worry about driving at highway speeds?  Maybe too much FUD (Fear Uncertaintiy and doubt) here.   Sugguestion here is invest the time inspecting wear, maintainig correct tire pressure and adjusting for climate changes.  Tom CLC6866