News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 1957 Cadillac Horn repair

Started by carguyblack, July 14, 2012, 11:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

I have inquired off this post if anyone has ever had experience in taking apart one of these riveted horns to clean and repair them. I have had some helpful tips on how to avoid breaking into the horn itself and getting it to come back to life. However, mine was beyond that stage and I had no other choice. I now have the horn "functioning" in that it make a severe noise, but not at all horn tone like. It just buzzes very loudly like an impact drill might sound. The adjustment screw makes no difference. I believe I have disturbed the factory position of the contact points mounting bar within the horn chamber but I can't seem to adjust it back to where it belongs. I am just winging it and not having any luck with the horn now having been apart to re-adjust about 15 times. Does anyone know of any specifics as to the setting of any of the internal components? I can't even really figure out the theory of operation on the thing, which is most likely my handicap (among many others!)
Thanks for reading this and for any input,
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

If you've tried all of the usual tricks to get them to work and the adjustment
screw doesn't help, I would forget it.  Taking these apart will probably just
show you that the internal coil is burnt out.  Plus, riveting them back together
will never look right.  They were not meant to be rebuilt.

There are firms that do rebuild these, but it's very expensive.  Try to find
a good used ones that work (it's possible, they're around) and go from
there.

I had to replace all 3 horns on my '55 Eldo.  I took the trumpet apart only
to find all the electrical parts burnt out -- it was toast.

Give Honest John a call, he has a yard full of parts cars and tons of pieces
on the shelf.  These aren't that hard to find.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

carguyblack

The internal coil appears to be strong. Since it was junk anyways, I decided to take it apart as a last resort. It appeared that I was so close to getting it to function that I didn't want to give up on it. However, given your advice I will probably abandon my attempt and leave the workbench in the shame of defeat. By the way, Honest John's is a fabulous place to do business with, from my experience. Thank you for your input!!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE