News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

No power?

Started by aod92, March 30, 2013, 11:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aod92

Took my 70 deville for a drive today. The car ran great. got home shut it off and when I went to start it again it wouldn't crank. Thought the battery was dead, but it was fine. I have power all the way to the starter after that nothing. No power in the interior, or anywhere else. What could be the problem? Bad starter?

Glen

Sounds like a fusible link went out.  It looks just like a wire but is really a fuse.  There are three fusible links coming off the starter terminal, two 16 gauge black and one 18 gauge dark green (at least I think it is green, hard to tell from the diagram).  A short ways away from the starter terminal they change to 10 gauge red, 14 gauge yellow and the third wire connects to two wires a 12 gauge orange and a 10 gauge black/red. 

I believe most auto parts stores carry fusible links. 

The big question is why did the link blow? 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

Not sure if 70 had it but a 73 had a connector for those wires and the connector coming apart would be one explanation how they all went at the same time.   All 3 wires go to a single big lug that is on the same stud as the battery lead.  The connector has 5 wires in it.  As mentioned above 3 are link wires and the other two go to the solenoid.   One is the cranking signal from the key other is to the ignition coil for starting bypass power.  One link wire goes to the headlight switch.  One to the half of the fuse box that is always on.  Other goes to the key which then powers the rest of the stuff in the fuse box that comes on with the key.   That harness wraps around the exhaust so its possible that in the process of doing other repair work in that area things did not get put back correctly so the wires could have rubbed or melted into the exhaust.   The connector is right close to the exhaust too.  The fusible link wires are in the starter to plug section.  As mentioned above the raw link wire is available at parts stores.  Its sized by gauge and possibly color.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

aod92

Thanks guys. This helps a lot.

76eldo

I had a problem like that on a 76 Fleetwood and found that the wire on the starter was just loose.  I guess you checked that by now though.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

First clean the battery terminals. I have had a similar problem on my 1968. Check all connections at the end of the battery cables to the starter / frame / other and ensure they are clean and tight. The cable connections can build up an insulating layer of whatever and this cuts off power. Check all your ground straps as well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

aod92

Loose wire on the starter. Everything looked tight, but when I put a socket on it the nut tightened up. Thanks for the help guys.

76eldo

It's nice when its a simple fix with no parts required.

Glad you tracked it down.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)