News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

White wall tire places 2014

Started by zinctwentyone, March 10, 2014, 06:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zinctwentyone

This is my first post here. I am a huge old Cadillac fan, however I currently have a 66 Lincoln Continental coupe I am doing the finishing touches on. My question is that I have been buying tires for a long time for exotic cars but have never purchased white walls. I am shocked to see how much money these companies want for 225 75 15s white walls. Not to mention I am reading the quality lacks as well with some of these brands. I did come across another post from a few years ago and tried some of the links that seemed reasonable, unfortunately those links are broken.

There has got to be some white walls in the $400.00 per set range somewhere? The last thing I want to do is spend 800 to 1000 on tires that are 15"s. Anyone buy tires in the last few months? Even Ebay has these ridiculous Cokers that I hear are bad quality.

austingta

I have Firestone 721 tires on my 66 Cadillac...same size as yours. The whitewalls are not quite as wide as the best looking ones, but they are inexpensive. They drive OK.

zinctwentyone

Those do look good on that cool looking Caddy. With the stance on the Continental I am really hoping to find a wider white wall, sort of like that Diamond back place does but half the price. If not I will have to go with a skinnier wall. Right now the tires are dry rotted and need to be replaced before going driving so since they must be replaced, I figure better to do it right the first time.

austingta

What size whitewall was offered when it was new? There were some very nice one available... I especially like the thin/wider/thin triple stripe.

zinctwentyone

I really do not know the stock specifications. I am going by some of the restores I have seen recently for those that have not changed the rims. The only way to look really cool with the factory hubcaps is a wide white wall in my opinion.

76eldo

Do a google search for " runway enduro "

These are inexpensive whitewalls.

I bought a set a few years ago and had problems with discoloration on the whitewalls, but maybe you will have better luck.

You get what you pay for with tires, so buyer beware with cheaper tires.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

35-709

I'd rather see 235-75R15's on a car that big and heavy and those are available from Cooper (Trendsetters) and Hankook in a white wall.  The Hankooks are the better tire.  White walls are definitely getting harder to find though in some sizes.
My '73 has 235-75R15 W/W Trendsetters but I will go with Hankooks next time around. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

okccadman

I bought my last 2 sets of 235 75 15 Han Kook whitewalls at Discount Tire.  They are right at $100 each plus mounting and balancing.  I have been very happy with them.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

TJ Hopland

Haven't the 721's been discontinued for a while now?

Same with the Runway Enduro?  Those did have a wider than typical white wall.  I got a pair about 4 years ago when bought a 78.  Went back about 3 months later when I had one of the other two fall apart and could not find them from regular tire dealers.

Seems like I read Hankook may still something.

It seems that the bigger names have discontinued white walls so other than the classic tire vendors looking for a store brand seem to be the least expensive option.  Most of them still offer a white wall in a 75 series tire.  You usually have to go to a more rural dealer to find them.  Its been a year since I got any so who knows maybe they also quit.   Most of them are made by one of the offshoots of the big names like Kelly, Cooper, those sorts of names.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

The Firestone 721's with the 1.6 whitewall have been discontinued for many years.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

zinctwentyone

Quote from: okccadman on March 10, 2014, 10:37:11 PM
I bought my last 2 sets of 235 75 15 Han Kook whitewalls at Discount Tire.  They are right at $100 each plus mounting and balancing.  I have been very happy with them.

Awesome. How wide is the white portion on those? I believe I have Hankooks on my newer Town car and they are great with no road noise at all. 235's would be a tad taller right?

zinctwentyone

Quote from: 76eldo on March 10, 2014, 09:35:04 PM
Do a google search for " runway enduro "

These are inexpensive whitewalls.

I bought a set a few years ago and had problems with discoloration on the whitewalls, but maybe you will have better luck.

You get what you pay for with tires, so buyer beware with cheaper tires.

Brian

Alright, I will check it out. Thanks. Amazing collection by the way. Classic cars are a new thing for me as I watch America and American cars disintegrate, I figure I can capture some of the greatest country in the world that we were and pass it down. I used to be a huge Porsche enthusiast, everything from 928's up to the dreaded 996. It was 1999 that German cars got cheapened and no longer built strong and well. I often wonder how many Hyundai's will be collected.lol

Dan LeBlanc

If I recall correctly the Hankooks on my 63 Impala are a 3/4" white wall.

With Runway, the name says it all.  Run away!  I had a set on my VW GTI that lasted all of 15,000mi.  I brought the car to the dealer because of scalloping and I thought I had an alignment issue (mind you this was in the rear).  As it turns out, there was nothing wrong with the car.  The tread was separating.

There are horror stories out there on the Runways.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

KD

Have you tried Diamondback tires? www.dbacktires.com
KD CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Jeff Moffo

Anyone use the American Classic's 1.6 in?  If so, let us know your thoughts!  I need to replace my current tires with their sliver of a whitewall on my '76 soon and am trying to get as close to the original Uniroyal LR78-15's with the 1.6 in whitewall.
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

smilasm

I am also looking to American Classic whitewall tires,maybe someone can tell more about these tires?
Marius Smilas

1956 Sedan DeVille  http://bit.ly/1hsWhri

zinctwentyone

Quote from: KD on March 11, 2014, 12:29:37 PM
Have you tried Diamondback tires? www.dbacktires.com
KD CLC#26801

I did check them, too much cash for a 15inch in my opinion. Doesn't feel right to drop a thousand dollar bill on such small tires.

zinctwentyone

Quote from: jbmoffo on March 11, 2014, 12:35:15 PM
Anyone use the American Classic's 1.6 in?  If so, let us know your thoughts!  I need to replace my current tires with their sliver of a whitewall on my '76 soon and am trying to get as close to the original Uniroyal LR78-15's with the 1.6 in whitewall.
Jeff
Sounds interesting, 1.6" sounds much better for me as well. How much are those running? and where do find them?

smilasm

Marius Smilas

1956 Sedan DeVille  http://bit.ly/1hsWhri

R Schroeder

Google American Classic tires. They are sold in many different stores.
Not cheap either.

I bought the Hankooks myself. I don't care what size the white wall is on my car. It is a driver ,come summer.
Mine are 225-75R-15's .   80,000 mile tire. I paid  $420.00 for all 4 , mounted and balanced.

Roy