News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

When is a car "road worthy" and "dependable"?

Started by chrisntam, December 21, 2014, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Or with our old cars, is there such a thing?  How far do you go to make sure your car is ready for a road trip?  Do you check all the fuel, transmission and brake lines for rubbing/abrasions?  Pull wheels/drums to look at brakes? Check for leaks?  Change all the fluids? including gear oil in the diff?  How do you check the electrical? 

I'm wanting to drive my (new to me) '70 de Ville (with rebuilt engine/trans) on a road trip, but I'm leery.  Would like to have a tow truck follow me, not really, but that's what I think.  Not having any issues, but as we all know, the unknown is lurking around the corner.  A subscription to AAA?   Bring tools and spare parts?

What say you?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

walt chomosh #23510

Very interesting question. I'm in my 14th year driving my 1955CDV,and,had my share of problems pertaining to reliability problems.(gas tank outlet totally plugged resulting in a tow,a Petronix ignition module failure,and a Petronix coil failure(X2))  Once one has a breakdown,it takes many miles to rebuild confidence. (should you have a breakdown,hope that your wife isn't with you!)EVERY mechanical action I take on my car calls for extreme tests before calling her roadworthy again. Should I ever fail to test adequately,generally it results in problems and more work. When I see cars run across the auction stage,I think "I hope he/she has a mechanic with them to get it home".
'Roadworthy" and "dependable" comes from time,miles,careful maintenance,and successful proven road miles.(certain spare parts should also be within close reach)

Jon S

I feel totally confidient to drive my car anywhere as I know its complete history since new. My only concern is other cars/drivers on the road and my fear to park the car unattended. As to road worthiness - none!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

chrisntam

Yeah, overnight in a hotel would be a little unnerving. 

For those who drive theirs to the GN, they settle in hotels for the evening.  Must not be an issue as I don't hear of cars getting stolen.  Or they do and it's not talked about on the forum?

Others, on other forums, have said if you are worried about leaving the car unattended then you don't have it properly insured.  I dunno, cash to replace your car, one that takes years to get in the shape it's in?  I think I'd rather keep the car.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Back when I was in school, I had an old Mercury.  I would drive about 95 miles home every few months.  I took every tool I had, extra water, extra oil and even a CB (It was longer ago than I would like to admit).  The old thing never let me down tho.  Just as a note, It had a 23 gallon tank and I would have to fill up before I went back....... That's fill up with both gas and oil.

Certain things are just out of my control.  I have AAA+ which gives me 100 miles of towing.  That is my limit.  If I can't get it home to fix it, I don't need to be that far away.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

chrisntam

For those who have had their cars restored (ground up; frame off), are your cars dependable?  Or is it always a "work in progress"?   I also assume replacement parts fail on "restored" cars just like the do on other cars.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just a note here folks.  You may notice that many of the cars that are "disabled" along the highways and freeways are new.  Nothing mechanical (or electrical) is free of the possibility of failure.  If the car runs well, doesn't leak (anything) doesn't consume great quantities of oil or coolant, has new hoses and belts then typically it is just as dependable as it was when it was new and "state of the art". Being a Cadillac they were built for the road. Cross country trips were their main suit, and although time ages anything mechanical most failures of parts or systems can be predicted well in advance of catostrophic failure.  An extra fuel pump, alternator (and or generator and regulator) and possibly a set of belts and hoses will in most instances be enough to get you to where you are going and then home.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Glen

The best way to be sure your car is road worthy is to drive it.  Drive it to the grocery store, the park, around the block, anywhere.  The short trips will help find the weak spots.  You will also build confidence in the car. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

Firstly, nobody should be driving an un-roadworthy vehicle.

Secondly, nobody should be driving an un-insured vehicle.

Thirdly, nobody should be driving any sort of distance away from home without Auto Club Roadside Membership.

The first car I took it for a drive and did the usual checks and tests, and the second one, after an initial test drive, knowing everything was alright, the first long trip was amongst all the pre-action of Woodward Drive.   Great to be driving down Woodward, top down, 6 in the car, just cruising.

As for extended trips, I have never had a problem with driving any of my cars anywhere, and even cars that I have just purchased.   

2002 I purchased an '89 Thunderbird V6 from pictures, and when I arrived in USA I changed all the tyres, new Battery, Oil and Filter, and checked the brakes.   It needed a pair of Engine Mounts, but careful driving didn't cause any problem so they stayed in place.   Then proceeded to drive 14,750 Miles around USA and into Canada over just under 4 Months.   Had to call out the AAA in Florida when the engine spilled out all the radiator fluid following a lunchtime stop midway in a 600 mile drive to Millington TN.   Got towed to a place where I couldn't find the leak, filled the radiator with water, and Barrs Leak, and off on the way again. (Cause of leak found in Nevada and the recovery tank had a split in it, and only dropped out the water when it got hot, and then closed up when cold)

2007, purchased the '72 Eldo, off Ebay in New York, and before I collected the car in 2008, on my second trip to USA, a couple of CLC Members kindly transported it and stored the car over the Winter in Detroit and replaced the AC Compressor and fan belts.   After a couple of days of cleaning it out, after I arrived in Detroit, replaced a bald spare tyre, checked the brakes, changed a few lights, and some temporary upholstery rethreading, headed off from Detroit to Cherry Hill, and North East USA and SE Canada for 4,600 Miles over a couple of Months.   Replaced another tyre in Connecticut (Separation of Steel Belts)   This car never let me down, but found a few water leaks around the top of the screen.   (Turned out to be a poorly-sealed windscreen)   The tyres on the car when I purchased it were like new, but after the initial separation, when I got the car home, and a few years later, two more decided to separate their treads. 

Would I do it again?   Yes.   When a car is a bomb, and looks like a bomb, it will probably give strife.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

I like to keep my 1970 Cadillac what I think to be road worthy and never hesitate to drive it anywhere.  However, generally if I can drive to GN in a day (say 12 hours max) I will do it, otherwise no.  The best way to keep the car mechanically good is to drive it as Glen suggested and keep it up as Greg suggested.  Start taking it on trips that are not consequential if the car fails.  Just before GN, I make sure to drive mine on a few 100 mile trips. 

At Boston GN, I replaced the starter just before I left and even brought a spare starter.  The new starter was unreliable and Greg helped me make is so solenoid pulled in 75% of the time instead of 25%, and yeah I grabbed the wrong spare of the shelf.  Replaced it when I got home.  I have driven it 35k miles in 9 years.  Knocking on wood it has never left me stranded or needed a tow.

It seems the wrench turners seem most successful in not breaking down.  The frame off restored by others cars are usually not sorted perfectly.  Many I know who paid big money for a frame off, who is not mechanical suffered a stupid problem later due to failure of the resto shop to drive it 100 miles after to get bugs out.  One of my friends who is a wrench turner paid a hefty price for a restoration and the choke/carb is preventing it from starting and gas tank leaks at fuel line connection-really?!

The more you drive it the more you will enjoy and trust it,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

David Greenburg

A heater core failure does not have to be a show stopped.  When I got my Seville, which I think had done a lost of sitting over the last few years before I got it, on the first shakedown drive, the heater core and the a/c compressor went.  I was able to bypass the heater core, and later, when the compressor went, pry the a/c belt off, and get home (20 miles on the freeway).   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

cadillacmike68

My wife & I want to drive  US 66 eventually. That will be at least a 6,000 mile trip. The car has made one 500 mile trip and several 2-300 mile trips. 

I'm pretty confident in the drivetrain, but there are several items I'd take.
Toolbox and jumper cables
Service Manual set
Box with oil, brake fluid (DOT5), coolant, etc.
Belts, incl AC bypass set
Hoses incl heater hose
Neutral Switch & a small jumper wire
Points & Condenser, Coil, Rotor, Cap
Spark plugs
Water Pump
PS Pump w pulleys
Alternator w regulator
Starter
AC Compressor (maybe - depends on how old the one in the car is)
Climate control parts; controller, Master sw, Power Servo, Transducer, etc
Wire in 2 or 3 colors and sizes
My toolbox has some wire connectors and all the small bulbs

The first 6 or 7 are always in the car. The others would be added for a trip that took more than 1 day to complete.

Things like brake pads, filters, spark plug wires, etc., are not listed because I keep track of service intervals and these should not fail on a trip. No so for belts & hoses. Those can go anytime. Plus they are all readily available anywhere.

I'll drive it anywhere in FL or southern GA.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

wbdeford

I would trust my '58 SDV to go just about anywhere that is paved.  The only reasons I don't take it on long trips are:

1) wet weather--not that it can't handle it, but I want to keep the car dry so its solid body stays that way.  It hasn't faced more than a sprinkle since 2001.
2) bad gas mileage.  My long trips are typically 1000-1300 miles round trip.  Our 35+ mpg honda civic can do it for < half the price.

I took it on 1200+ miles trip in 2001, and the only issue was running out of gas once because I trusted the fuel gauge and its new sending unit too much (empty while it showed about 1/8 of tank--lesson learned).

I have AAA+, so as long as I stay within 100 miles of home, I can get it flat-bedded home for free if I have a problem.

1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Forgot to mention, the other "thing" not to forget is to include the CLC International Membership Directory, no matter where in the World you are driving.

You will always find a helping hand close by.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jaxops

This is a very interesting discussion.  Will's comment about bringing a spare made me think of the 1908 Race when the Thomas Flyer won, and all of the preparations and woes the early racers and driers had back then. 

I had about 4 years of "getting the bugs out" on my '56 after the restoration.  It was probably my fault for having an "Amathan" (Irish for "idiot") put the engine back together.  Problems certainly do seem to crop up.  A lot of them are unreliable "new" parts.  You think that you've fixed something only to have it either wear out prematurely or fail due to poor quality, especially ignition parts these days!

I drove my '56 up to Hershey in 2008 and the car performed wonderfully (about a 6+ hour drive from SE Virginia).  We even drove all around the Gettysburg battlefield in it.  I did end up with a leaking power steering hose (my fault for not replacing the hose when I replaced the pump), but my brother patched it up and we made it home with minimal leaking along the way (and me "sweating bullets" all of the way).  It would take me a few months of regularly driving the car to feel safe and confident enough to drive it around.  I do cringe when I park it and leave it in a parking lot.  It's bad enough with the regular daily driver with the door-bangers and people who can't back up properly....yikes!  I already suffered a few deep scratches just from car shows so I'm careful about where I drive it and park it these days.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Jon S

Perhaps a different perspective beyond "road worthy" and "dependable" would be "Will my car perform as expected should an unforeseen traffic situation occur" like heavy stop and go traffic (overheating), being cut off by another car (good brakes), having to pass or maneuver around a potential problem (acceleration). 

Our classics should perform mechanically like our every day drivers.  Yes, I know drum brakes don't stop as quickly as disks (and I admit I always speed up a little when approaching a green traffic camera patrolled intersection with that in mind).

I think my biggest fear is road construction, the associated gravel and the potential for tire failure.  Tire failure can happen to any car we drive and beyond taking the usual precautions we have to remember this.  A tire blow out at 60 MPH is no fun in a new or classic car!

The only real spare parts I carry is my spare tire and a spare fuel filter.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Scot Minesinger

If I'm going on a long trip like GN, I do not quite go to the extent of Mike, but carry a floor jack, full tool compliment including two-1-1/4" wrenches (needed for fuel filter replacement), and spare alternator, starter, water pump, volt reg, and ignition parts.  Then of course have bailing wire, sand paper, floor jack, fender covers, and something to lay on ground plus work clothes to change into.  No a/c parts because just want to make it home.  This all fits in the trunk with much room top spare for luggage cooler and etc.

If it is a short day trip, then all of above except no large heavy stuff such as starter, water pump, floor jack, jack stand fender cover and material to lay on.

You know how it is if you are prepared, you will not need any of this stuff.  Most of the time I use it on other peoples cars at the GN.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

When I headed out for the 2014 GN, I changed the oil, greased the front end, topped off the fluids, and hit the road with Visa in hand.  I figured since it's 2014, between local parts stores, specialty parts suppliers, and eBay, I could get anything I needed overnighted to me wherever I was to.  We had the trunk so full of luggage, detailing supplies, and lawn chairs, there was only room for a couple spare quarts of oil, a gallon of premixed coolant, transmission fluid, and my lead additive.

YMMV
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 22, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
If I'm going on a long trip like GN, I do not quite go to the extent of Mike, but carry a floor jack, full tool compliment including two-1-1/4" wrenches (needed for fuel filter replacement), and spare alternator, starter, water pump, volt reg, and ignition parts.  Then of course have bailing wire, sand paper, floor jack, fender covers, and something to lay on ground plus work clothes to change into.  No a/c parts because just want to make it home.  This all fits in the trunk with much room top spare for luggage cooler and etc.

If it is a short day trip, then all of above except no large heavy stuff such as starter, water pump, floor jack, jack stand fender cover and material to lay on.

You know how it is if you are prepared, you will not need any of this stuff.  Most of the time I use it on other peoples cars at the GN.

Scot -

If I go on any long trips, I want to follow you!  If I get stuck you have everything I could possibly need plus good technical advice!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

gary griffin

Great subject.  I am planning driving to the Las Vegas G N in 2016. according to Google it is 1100 + miles and about 18 hours so definitely at least a two day trip. I am considering driving my 1942-6719 which is nearing completion of an extensive restoration or my 1957-60 Special which has 80,000 miles.  I have just started driving and touching up the 57 and will be driving the 42 before spring.

Since the G N is in, April Air  Conditioning will not be a factor in my decision.  Both cars will have 5 new tires and the 42 has new everything basically.   I am getting ready to do a complete safety check and replacement on the 57.  I have 15 months to check out both cars and make the decision.  I would prefer to have the 42 there and will be leaning in that direction and hopefully I can have it broken in and develop confidence in it prior to registration deadline.

Luckily both cars have trunks large enough to take a full complement of spares and tools. I even have an amber rotating light on a magnetic base but it is 12 volt so if i bring the 42 it will stay home. Part of my kits are safety vests such as highway workers wear and plenty of fluorescent folding danger signs and flares.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have not been very active yet in the local chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle club  but hopefully by then I will know a few members and possibly form up a small convoy.  Safety in numbers always.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver