News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Freeing up the 331

Started by Dan LeBlanc, July 17, 2015, 04:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 driver

Dan sounds like your making progress! Keep up the work. Please let it set for a few days more before pushing the luck.
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

SixDucks

Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

Haven't even been near the garage in a week.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Smedly

The suspense is killing me ;D.  I know you cant rush this kind of thing. Good luck
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Dan LeBlanc

Well. I know it's been awhile.

Mike Cascio and Art Archambeault were here last week. In true Cadillac Craftsman firm,  Mike dove in and dropped the oil pan. What we discovered surprised all of us - a clean engine. Minimal sludge in the bottom of the pan.

Art had the idea to put a jack on one of the crank counterweights and apply some slight force and let it sit. Well, as the photo indicates we have some movement. Still stiff of course, but it's movement nonetheless.

I sent a pic to Mike tonight and he confirms that we have had movement (I was trying to stay clean for the wedding and was not underneath).  The counterweight the jack was on was below a main bearing cap and now it is even.

Patience, more soaking, and pressure and I may get lucky.

Dan LeBlanc

Bobby B

Dan,
Looks like it's coming along….Are those upside down machine thread stamped nuts on top of the nuts on the end of the rod bolts?  ??? Been in a lot of engines, never seen that before.
                                                                                                                                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Dan LeBlanc

Good eye Bobby. Yes they are.
Dan LeBlanc

Bobby B

Seen cotter pins used  on some early cars and aircraft engines, but never upside-down stamped nuts. Very Interesting…………
                                                                                                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Dan LeBlanc

I have done two 390's to date and they were not present on the 390.  Interestingly enough, the regular nuts on the cap are the same as the 390, but these stamped nuts are a new one on me also.
Dan LeBlanc

CEC #20099

Dan: Looking at the inside of that engene, I see rust & water damage. Is this a `Flood` car engine ??
I suspect your TIMING CHAIN is heavily rusted & locking up the engine. I would suggest a complete teardown, before any more damage is done.
c chleboun #20099

Jay Friedman

I think c chleboun is on to something which made me to have a second look.  It appears that there is corrosion on the cylinder wall below the piston. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dan LeBlanc

The car was improperly stored for several years (since 1972) indoors.  The rust on the cylinder walls is a very light surface rust, not heavy at all (light as in it would clean off quite easily with something like steel wool if one so dares to put that in an engine).  Looking up at the underside of the cam, all of the lobes appear shiny and bright, as does the timing chain.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

After laying underneath the car tonight for awhile I've relegated myself to the fact that the engine is going to come out.

How difficult will it be to remove the transmission from the engine if it doesn't turn?   I know that with a 390 it's essential to get to all the torus to flywheel nuts.

My shop manual is on order but hasn't arrived yet. ;)
Dan LeBlanc

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Those are called pal nuts or Macnamara nuts. Used as a locking or jamb nut.
Too bad she has to come out. I have been watching this thread and had hoped you wouldn't have to.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

76eldo

Dan,

Take it out as a unit, but remove the bolts on the flywheel you can reach from the bottom.  I am told that you can undo the bell housing bolts and pry them apart enough to get to the top ones.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dan,
I think you're giving up a little too soon.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Dan LeBlanc

As one last resort, I may try the application of a bit of heat while maintaining pressure on the crank.  Now that the pan is dropped, access is easy.  I don't mean burn holes in the pistons kind of heat.  I was really hoping to get it moving under it's own power for now so that I can also assess the condition of the transmission before removal.  The long-term goal is to pull the engine, disassemble, evaluate condition, and determine the correct course of action.

From what I have seen to date internally, I have no reason to discount the car has not turned over in mileage (81436) and was very well maintained.
Dan LeBlanc

76eldo

Dan,

I did all of the same things on my 60 engine and when I finally pulled the heads I was glad it didn't crank.  From sitting for many years and getting condensation inside the engine it looked horrible.

I found another 60 Seville engine and trans and that's going in my car soon.  I'll keep the original engine in cast I ever sell the car, but for now I'll have it up and running with a 28,000 mile engine and trans that I already heard run.

You will probably get away with just taking it apart and installing new rings and bearings which shouldn't be too bad.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Brian has a good point.  To maybe determine cylinder wall condition between head and top of piston, you can use a snake camera and go in spark plug hole.  Probably is best to pull engine as you plan and go the full monte;  re-build and all.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

Thankfully, these engines aren't overly difficult to work on and a ring and bearing job is fairly easy to do.  Good chance to get rid of the rope rear main seal at the same time. 

The nice part is I have access to a shop that does a lot of marine engine work on their own stuff and can get machining done at little to no cost
Dan LeBlanc