News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Freeing up the 331

Started by Dan LeBlanc, July 17, 2015, 04:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

Many of us have experienced the challenge of seized, long out-of-service engines, which brings up an interesting thought... those among us who are boaters will use "fogging oil" as part of the seasonal winterizing lay-up... and some of us pull spark plugs and pour a few ounces of light oil into each cylinder prior to spinning the starter.  If one were to know for certain that a car was going into storage for multiple years with no prospect for any cyclical commissioning, what would make sense to do, knowing that daily cycles of moisture laden air will eventually cause surface rust as is the case with your fine engine. Happy day, James

62 driver

And the crew strikes again!! Hope all went well with the wedding. Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

76eldo

James,

I think the cars sometimes get parked, but not with the intention of long term storage, and 20 years later..... along comes someone that wants to do something with the car.  I can tell you, if the cars are in unheated storage for decades they will seize up due to condensation inside the engine.  I saw this with the one I am working on, but yet, another 60 I bought several years ago sat on blocks for 30 years and started right up.  That one was in an attached residential garage that never went down to freezing temps.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

That's exactly it. At the time the car was decommissioned, it was just an old used car. It was probably occasionally started and moved from time to time until it became a hassle and then eventually forgotten about. Time does strange things to old cars. I'm my case, the car is good where one would expect it to be bad and bad where you would expect it to be good.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

James Landi

I wonder if simply filling the engine with 10 weight oil would not entirely "pickle" it for long term storage... I can't imagine the issues confronted by those with flat heads and in block valve trains.  Perhaps the same approach with gas tanks... pumping light weight oil throughout including the carb.  Amazing story about the '60 in the attached garaged! Happy day,  James

35-709

I have heard of completely filling an engine with 10 weight for long term storage before, seems like an effective, relatively inexpensive way to solve the problem.  As Brian points out though, long term storage sometimes just happens, or the car's owner just doesn't care.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

You can buy "sparkplugs" that are full of that stuff that pulls out moisture ( i cant remember the name,dessicant?) For airplane engines. Just put in tbe plug holes for long ferm storage. Wonder if there is the same thing for car engines.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bobby B

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on September 19, 2015, 09:50:07 PM
You can buy "sparkplugs" that are full of that stuff that pulls out moisture ( i cant remember the name,dessicant?) For airplane engines. Just put in tbe plug holes for long ferm storage. Wonder if there is the same thing for car engines.
Jeff

Jeff,
  Those spark plug capsules have silica gel desiccant in them and they change color when moisture is absorbed. They can be refilled, so you only need to buy them once. I know they make them in 14/18 mm threads. I've used them in British cars….
                                                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

35-709

You can also empty them and put the desiccant on a tray and place them at a low temperature in the oven until they dry out and return to their original color --- at least you can with the aircraft type.

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/dehydrator-engine-desiccant-spark-plug-14mm-thread.html
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2