News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What happened to all the 93-96 Fleetwood Broughams?

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, December 14, 2015, 06:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

How much was a typical Marquis or Roadmaster?   Were there any 'imports' that could possibly be considered at that time?   Mercedes perhaps?   Not that a 'classic' Caddy buyer would be interested but maybe a younger person looking for a classy comfortable sedan?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 15, 2015, 10:30:32 AM
How much was a typical Marquis or Roadmaster?   Were there any 'imports' that could possibly be considered at that time?   Mercedes perhaps?   Not that a 'classic' Caddy buyer would be interested but maybe a younger person looking for a classy comfortable sedan?

I'm not sure what typically equipped versions may have stickered for but in 1995 the entry Roadmaster sedan had a base price of $24,390 and the Limited sedan's base price was $26,590.  The Grand Marquis GS base price was $21,270 and the LS was $22,690.  All of these figures are before destination charges and options.  Many things standard on budget/economy cars today were still optional on even these more upscale Buicks and Mercurys 20 years ago.

I don't think there was any 'import' competition, at least as far as exterior size, to these monsters.  The really big domestic premium or luxury sedans were being bought more by older/aging customers while younger buyers were opting more for the smaller (exterior size anyway) imports.

Of course, these days crossovers and SUVs have become the in thing.  Cadillac's two bestselling models and the only ones seeing up sales this year are the SRX crossover and Escalade SUVs.

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on December 15, 2015, 11:54:32 AM
I don't think there was any 'import' competition, at least as far as exterior size, to these monsters.  The really big domestic premium or luxury sedans were being bought more by older/aging customers while younger buyers were opting more for the smaller (exterior size anyway) imports.

Was the mid 90's when Lexus was kinda a big deal?   Seems like that was the period where that was the car to have for the cool business people.  Something you likely saw a lot of at the country club at the time.   Did those compete price wise with something like an STS?     

Scot Minesinger

My doctor told me he paid 45 k for his 1995 Fleetwood brand new.  I looked on line and could not find the original sticker price for a Fleetwood so went with what my doctor told me.  However I could find new TC pricing and it agreed with yours.  The 1995 RWD Cadillac is so much better of a car than the TC, it seems impossible it was not more money.  I will take your post as fact and admit I was wrong.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 15, 2015, 12:05:47 PM
Was the mid 90's when Lexus was kinda a big deal?   Seems like that was the period where that was the car to have for the cool business people.  Something you likely saw a lot of at the country club at the time.
Absolutely.  Lexus, as well as Infiniti and Acura, were the hip newcomers to the premium/luxury game and were gaining more and more especially younger buyers.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 15, 2015, 12:05:47 PMDid those compete price wise with something like an STS?
Lexus offered four model lines in 1995 with base prices ranging from $31,500 (ES300) to $51,200 (LS400).  Cadillac also offered four model lines that year and those base prices ranged from $34,900 (DeVille) to $45,935 (Seville STS).

As far as exterior sizes, all new Cadillacs in 1995 were still larger than even the largest Lexus which was the LS400.  In more recent years Cadillac has been better aligning its offerings, at least as far as size, against imports.

At one time it was basically Cadillac versus Lincoln, and maybe Imperial, but that has all largely changed to a battle against the imports.  A battle that has forced Cadillac to become more like them in order to try to compete.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 15, 2015, 01:05:23 PM
My doctor told me he paid 45 k for his 1995 Fleetwood brand new.

If he paid full sticker, which is very unlikely, AND you throw in sales tax, state fees, etc. the purchase price could've potentially climbed to $45K.  I suppose there's also the possibility that non-factory aftermarket items were added.  For both the Fleetwood and Town Car, I was strictly speaking factory options and factory sticker prices.

Scot Minesinger

This doctor was a is a real penny pincher, so if anything thought 45k was safe, but guess not.  Those held their value because was offered 32k for mine in 1999.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 15, 2015, 03:13:16 PM
Those held their value because was offered 32k for mine in 1999.

Nice.  They must have been a real Fleetwood enthusiast as I don't think typical book/retail values for those cars were nearly that high back in 1999.

Scot Minesinger

Mine was the perfect black on black and there was a little bump above book value on these 1994-96 Fleetwoods in 1998-99 because people who had always been buying the large RWD Cadillacs did not have a replacement to buy and settled on nice used ones.  I could not afford a car like this until I was 36, and only got the use of one of these large RWD as a late model daily driver.  Still hoping Cadillac will make another large RWD V-8.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 16, 2015, 07:44:18 AM
Still hoping Cadillac will make another large RWD V-8.

Large is relative but I assume you mean something the size of the 1993-96 Fleetwoods and I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon.  There's just no demand.

There is expected to be a car above the CT6 but it won't likely reach the size, at least overall length, of those Fleetwoods.

Scot Minesinger

CT6 or larger is fine, just needs to be a V-8 and RWD.  I was super disappointed to learn that the CT6 was powered by a six cylinder engine, although with a "6" in the name, was not surprised.  My Dodge charger has a V-8, and you can't get one in a large Caddy that costs twice as much - really???!!

TJ Hopland

Is there RWD Cads now?  There were some mid 2000's did those go away?   What is or was the least expensive one?       

Dan LeBlanc

I do like my RWD American V-8's, don't get me wrong.

With modern technology though, you can squeeze out just as much HP and Torque out of a V-6 plant now to feel like a V-8.  I don't really see this as an issue in the CT6 as long as the performance is on par with what one would expect with a V-8.

Heck, you can't even get a V-8 in a Lincoln Navigator anymore.  It's been replaced in the 2015's with the EcoBoost V-6 and repeat Lincoln Navigator buyers seem to be pleased with the EcoBoost performance.

Back in May, I rented a new XTS with the V6 and power seemed just as adequate as it does in my Deville with the Northstar.  Surprisingly though, the XTS with the V-6 and 6 speed automatic as my 04 Deville with the Northstar and 4 speed automatic did.  I thought it would've been better.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

The greater than 4 speed transmissions really change the feel of things.    I think part of that classic v8 feel was how long it took em to 'wind' through the gears.  You really had time to feel it accelerating then dropping rpm when it shifted then winding up again.   In the 3 speed TurboHyrdomatic days you would still be in 2nd gear at 60mph if you really had your foot in it.    Just going to the 5 speeds really changed that and now with the 6-9 speeds you hardly see the RPM move which is got to be why they are able to get by with small displacement engines.   They are able to keep em right in the sweet spot which I think takes away all the fun.

Scot Minesinger

Dan,

Please don't confuse me with facts.  MB, Audi, Jag, BMW and others all offer V-8 RWD large cars and Cadillac should too.

I will strive to only drive RWD V-8 American cars.  We both have driven V-6 and V-8 cars (where V-8 was an option with on paper 5% more hp or so than v-6, STS comes to mind (non-V series)), and the V-8 was clearly better.  I crossed Ford and Lincoln off the list with V-6 only power.  May have to drive a six cylinder at some point, but will fight it for a while longer.  Given that V-8's remain available, fuel is inexpensive, and I have another 30 years left in my life to drive - might make it without ever having to drive anything but a RWD American V-8, buying used towards the end.

If you enter facts and logic into car purchases, everyone should drive a Corolla or minivan.  There is no good reason to buy a Camaro, when a Corolla makes so much more sense.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 16, 2015, 10:19:11 AM
CT6 or larger is fine, just needs to be a V-8 and RWD.  I was super disappointed to learn that the CT6 was powered by a six cylinder engine, although with a "6" in the name, was not surprised.

The demand or expectation of a V8 in a luxury car is not what it used to be thanks to engineering and technology advancements.  However, rumors are that a V8 will be available in the CT6 eventually.

BTW, the "6" in the CT6 model name has nothing to do with the engine.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 16, 2015, 11:17:30 AM
Is there RWD Cads now?

Most current Cadillac models are RWD.  The two exceptions are the SRX (Cadillac's bestseller) and XTS.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 16, 2015, 12:14:43 PM
MB, Audi, Jag, BMW and others all offer V-8 RWD large cars and Cadillac should too.

Although probably not quite as large as you would want, the current Cadillac CTS-V is RWD and V8.

Scot Minesinger

Big Apple Caddy,

The CTS is a great looking car, just not large enough for five adults.  In December taking a 1,000 mile trip with my 3 full grown children and wife in the Crown Vic, and the CTS would be too small.

Understand that the 6 in CT6 was supposed to have nothing to do with the engine, but it is quite a coincidence that of all the infinite quantity the number in name and number of cylinders are the same.  The fact the SRX is best seller for Cadillac is just sad.  I rented and SRX and it was nothing special around 2011 or so.

Oh well if this is my worst problem, I 'm very lucky.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 16, 2015, 01:17:13 PM
Understand that the 6 in CT6 was supposed to have nothing to do with the engine, but it is quite a coincidence that of all the infinite quantity the number in name and number of cylinders are the same.

The standard engine in the CT6 is actually a 4 cylinder; the two 6 cylinder engine choices are an upgrade.  Yes, a 4 cylinder but today's 4s can offer more horsepower than 6s or even 8s of the past.  For example, the CT6's 4 cylinder is rated 272 hp while the 5.7 L V8 in the Fleetwood from 20 years ago was rated 260 hp.