News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Mushy Brakes

Started by 60eldo, October 13, 2016, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

Yep.  Gotta be there. 

Thanks for backing me up.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Roger Zimmermann

To be honest, the '57 shop manual does not mention it. The '58 manual does, but you know it's not the same brake system.
The Brougham shop manual ist just saying that the brake system ist mostly similar to the other '57 cars, just how it's installed on the cowl is different.
My car is a Brougham and I did not modify it to add that check valve.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dave Shepherd

Roger you are correct, someone in the past eliminated it on this car, it must have one as mentioned, I will get a modern one and splice it in, thanks for the follow ups by all!

Roger Zimmermann

Glad to be able to help, even if I'm not on the same continent!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

60eldo

Guys the check valve is in the booster check the manuel
Jon. Kluczynski

60eldo

OK,,,the best way to know this is who here has a 1957 cadillac reg carb,,,please let us know if you have a factory check valve inbetween the booster and intake,,,pics would be great
Jon. Kluczynski

Walter Youshock

Here's mine:
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

Quote from: 60eldo on November 03, 2016, 08:21:31 PM
   OK,,,the best way to know this is who here has a 1957 cadillac reg carb,,,please let us know if you have a factory check valve inbetween the booster and intake,,,pics would be great

My 1957 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan did. I have since sold the car. I'll try and find a picture if I can. It had the check valve between the pipe on the intake, and the brake booster. More modern/reliable booster/master combos can be put in the 1957. The only thing is that it will not be original to the engine bay. I converted the brake system on my 57' to a remanufactured master/booster from a 1967 cadillac. (This is the popular unit to convert the 59'/60' with. Which i've also done.) If you are comfortable with fabrication this would be easy for you. I always want to keep my cars original, but at the time, it was actually cheaper to fab up a new unit, then to get the hydrovac unit rebuilt. And I had already dumped $120.00 into the master cylinder, and was not going to keep putting money into a braking system that was "sub average" when new.

-Gavin   
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

60eldo

Got new booster   NNNOOO    FFUU   ing   BRAKES STILL, Pedal goes to the floor >:D
Jon. Kluczynski

57 Eldo Seville

I have the dual quad factory setup and my check valve is in the same place as Walter's.
Dave Morris
CLC#28497
1957 Eldorado Seville
2020 CT5-V

60eldo

Thanks Dave where can I get one. OK now for the real story, new M/C, new booster, new wheel cyls, and hoses,,,,,,,,,,,all bled....I have no brakes, pedal goes to the floor but at one point I had a little padal but as soon as I start car it goes to the floor,,,,am I angry,,,,,you better believe it.
Jon. Kluczynski

57 Eldo Seville

There are several sources of used Cadillac parts on the internet.

But the pedal going to the floor will not be fixed by the check valve.

When I got my Seville, there was pedal but no apparent power assist. I rebuilt the master cylinder, found and repaired all vacuum leaks, and adjusted the brakes per the service manual procedure.  If I remember right adjust the starwheel until the drum is locked and then back off 14 clicks.  And I think that the starwheel rotated in the opposite direction on the rear wheel cylinders than on the front when adjusting.

Now the system works pretty well for a power 4 wheel drum setup on a 5000 pound car.
Dave Morris
CLC#28497
1957 Eldorado Seville
2020 CT5-V

60eldo

I just read another post, and Im wondering. Is that on the bottom of the M/C a grease fitting, I hope it is cause now Im thinking its a bleeder screw in which case I never touched that,,,,Oh   Oh
Jon. Kluczynski

Walter Youshock

That's a grease fitting.

How is the reaction with the emergency brake?  Is the travel excessive?  Will it hold the car when applied?  Does it release?

Seems your problem is more mechanical than hydraulic right now.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

60eldo

Interesting Walter, are you saying that MAYBE my shoes need adjusting, so when Im pressing the brake pedal the shoes are too far back and are not hitting the drum?  Maybe
Jon. Kluczynski

Walter Youshock

No clue but it's the next thing to check.  The manual is very specific on the adjustments so follow it to the letter.  You replaced all the return springs, readjusted the anchor pins, lubricated the shoes and anchor plates, etc.?

Will the pedal ever return to a somewhat normal position after a few hours or even overnight?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

60eldo

Woke up this morning went to car pressed and had a little brake 1 inch above the floor, then I changed my vac hose to a hydralic one seems a bit better, so with engine off I pressed brake down and up and held it down, started car and pedal rose,,,,shouldnt it drop? ::)
Jon. Kluczynski

Michael Brittan CLC #2750

Hi Johnny:
Been following this saga.  Any further developments to report?
Thanks,
Mike
M Brittan

cwbbear

I too am Curious,  it also reminded me I did not post a picture of how mine is set up.  I have never take this out of the car and I have only rebuild the wheel cylinders and replaced shoes so far.  I can lock em up if I jump on it.

so my Vacuum comes from the front of the engine to the bottom of the booster and then the lines as documented in the picture.  If there is a check value there is nothing on my system from the manifold to the booster as it is just rubber hose clamp connected to the two pipe fittings on each end.