News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Sedan Deville 6 Window Door Glass Replacement and Install. Question

Started by BillR. CLC # 29203, March 23, 2018, 03:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillR. CLC # 29203

Good afternoon!!!  Looking for a source for new door glass. 
There are 2 Phillips head screws at the top of each frame. It is as easy as removing the two  set screws and finessing out  the 59 year old glass? Thanks in advance.   Bill Rodwick   
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

35-709

Your local auto glass company can supply you with the glass using your old glass as a pattern, tinted or clear.  A'59 owner familiar with the remove/install procedure will have to tell you how to get the old glass out but I think I can assure you it will be more involved than loosening 2 Phillips head screws at the top of the frame.   :)  Good luck.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

papas52cad

Best bet is go to auto city glass in Minnesota.
Great company, lowest prices...they sell to all the rest!!! Same day shipment, spoke to 2 others like vintage glass in CT, price was $20more and a week delivery!
I just received the front dr glass for my 52 Fleetwood. They had to ship a replacement as 1st one had a scratch. They Serviced with a smile and sent out replacement immediately
Highly recommended!!
Glass is correct pattern, color etc.
Good luck
1952 Fleetwood

BillR. CLC # 29203

Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

59-in-pieces

Bill,
If originality is what you want over and above a simple replacement, remember to have the glass etched with the proper "BUG" to match the year and period of build.
Yes, removing the windows requires removal of the entire frame from the raising/lowering mechanism and motor, then the screws simply allows the "L" shaped parts of the frame to be removed from the bottom part of the frames that attaches to the mechanisms.
You also need the mounting tape for the frame and glass.
Cheaper if you do the removal and take the frame in to be re-glazed.
Not quite on point (convertible window frames), but the photo shows the bottom part of frame and the other part around the glass
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

BillR. CLC # 29203

Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203