News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Lead: Damaged 66 Eldorado Convert for sale

Started by GBrown #8092, June 16, 2018, 12:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

As bad as this looks, I think that its very repairable, I think I could almost do it myself, with a bit of help lifting things and a good painter.  I looked at it fairly closely today. The front frame is slightly pushed in. and left lower control arm is bent, I suspect the LF wheel is too.  Core support is fully intact from the radiator left.   Left fender has slipped under the drivers door about 3/8 in. Top looks good, and looks like it has had at least a partial repaint at some point in its life. I can probably answer questions, about condition.

Owner willing to sell it for $4k firm which is what the insurance company offered to sell it to back to him for
He'd like it to go to a good home and  be fixed rather than parted

His wife is telling him he needs to sell it and get something safer and more practical.
Too many cars here to bring it to my house, though its tempting.

(and there is a full front clip available locally)

Car is  currently in Northbrook, IL and needs to be moved  very soon

If anyone is interested
owner is:
Terry Banich
(312) 925-0909

James Landi

What do you think, Glenn--- around 10K  all in? Can't imagine why you could not add this to your fleet, but then again, don't you already have a convert?       Happy day to you Glenn-- James

GBrown #8092

Actually I have two, the '65 and the '85. I have to sell something before I can add anything else. :'(

Except for the paint, I think it could easily be done for that. Paint costs  have become astronomical.

Glenn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I doubt there's a prayer of landing at $10K "all in" (including $4K purchase price) these days.

Cost of materials is nothing, it's the labor. Chances are good it'll need some rack time as well. Parts car will be a big help here.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

tgb1974

This is actually my car. I am heartbroken that it is damaged like this, so I suppose this is my personal plea.

For anyone who is interested, here is some background. I have owned it since 2006 and have maintained it meticulously ever since and have complete service records for it. Unfortunately, about two weeks ago, a driver pulled into oncoming traffic (me) and I could not stop in time. My insurer has declared the car to be a total loss, but actually it is repairable. Glenn, ever the gentleman and scholar, has inspected the car and came up with the report, above. With two young kids and Chicago winters being what they are, it is time for a more modern car.

I could easily just abandon it and let the insurance company auction it off or whatever, but I would much rather see a collector or enthusiast -- a CLC member! -- restore it. I just don't have the heart to let it become a parts car. The interior and all the rest of it are in excellent condition. It has always been a very reliable daily driver. Plus, it is one of the very last Eldorados built in 1966 -- I believe it is #2189 of #2250, built in June 1966. It has Tropic Green Firemist paint (#96) over while leather. Please contact me with any questions. But, as Glenn said, the body shop holding it wants to get it out of there yesterday, so time is of the essence.

Thank you all for considering this.

Terry Banich
Terry Banich
CLC #21409
1966 Eldorado (#2182 of 2250)
1960 Sedan de Ville 4-window (#7044 of 9225) (sold)
1967 Fleetwood Sixty Special (#899 of 3550) (sold)

D.Smith

Sorry for your loss Terry.   I hope you find a good home for it. 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Terry,
How are you going to avoid getting a salvage title?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

V63

Best to assume a salvage title,  certainly a salvage history at the very least.

The interior appears ‘vinyl’ in the images...  Would that be correct?

tgb1974

The interior is white leather. If I’m not mistaken, all Eldorados came standard with leather.
Terry Banich
CLC #21409

V63

Yes, the original interior would have been leather. White perforated leather is not known for its durability. I’m not faulting the value in the project...I just wish I could find more optimism that the interior is the original.

M. Bankes

I'm a little interested, as I have a great parts car, but I too would like to know about the title, and I guess the interior isn't original ???
Thanks
Michael

tgb1974

The interior is original to the car: trim code 452, which is white perforated leather.
Terry Banich
CLC #21409

Barry M Wheeler #2189

In regards to the title...Many states have the procedures to getting a salvage title transferred to a "usable" one posted on line. Go to your nearest and biggest DMV office and ask for the oldest lady there. She will know what you need to know and how to do it. If "anyone" wants an Eldo for a decent price that is going to "keep" the car, I'd think long and hard about this one. Especially if spending the four grand right off is doable plus getting it to you and you have a place to put it. Go over what skills you have, what your mate thinks about it, and maybe we can get this thing back on the road.

Glenn is a great guy to help out in things like this. And he does know where many "bodies" are buried. (I'm great at spending other peoples $$$.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

V63

Quote from: tgb1974 on June 16, 2018, 02:31:59 PM
The interior is original to the car: trim code 452, which is white perforated leather.

OK, thank you for the clarification. Its just hard to tell from images and quality posted

tgb1974

With regard to the vehicle title, in Illinois, the insurance company would not need to notify the state that I retained salvage because it is over nine years old. So you would get an ordinary title.
Terry Banich
CLC #21409

M. Bankes

Hi,
Thank You Terry for confirming the title and interior questions I had. I think I'll give you a call regarding some other questions I have.
Can anyone out there confirm for me that a '66 Sedan de Ville front clip is the same as this Eldo ? There no issue's with the swap ?
Thanks
Michael

G Pennington

The lower side trim is unique to the Eldo.  So you would have to salvage the trim off the damaged fender.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Michael,

All the sheet metal, inner body panels and grille/bumper are the same in '66. The chrome fender spear, lower rocker trim, ELDORADO block letters and hood wreath are unique .

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

BJM

That's absolutely stunning, colors. I don't know, but $4000 seems like a good deal. 

I have a question you can decide not to answer,but - since it was NOT your fault - shouldn't their insurer make you whole?  Repair is possible...   

michaelkay

I have actually been seeing this car for the last couple of weeks as it is at a body shop by my local Starbucks. How many miles did the car have when you acquired it -- and were they actual (documented) miles. Was the car a local IL car. I am curious about the Illinois "M" license plates which are municipal plates.