News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Re: 1972 Eldorado wiring harness

Started by Stoverlarry, July 11, 2018, 09:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoverlarry

A pic would be really helpful thanks

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Larry,
In one of your pictures I see the remnants of a trailer brakes system with the possibility that there might be several modifications to your wiring system.  That said my suggestion would be to wait for your shop manual and verify wiring and components one item at a time.  The factory connection to the kick down switch is a two wire angle connector, but I do not see one in your pictures.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Stoverlarry

35-709

Here are some pictures of my '73 Coupe deVille engine compartment.  Much of the wiring will be the same as your '72 Eldo, but Greg Surfas' advice is absolutely the way to go.

Pics. #1&2 ---  General overall view of left and right sides

Pic. #3 --- left side showing the anti-dieseling solenoid (the round can with a rubber booty and green wire).  In back of and just behind the anti-dieseling solenoid is the trans. kick-down switch.  You can see how the kick-down switch is mounted to the same bracket as the anti-dieseling sol.  The kick-down switch mount holes are elongated for adjustment.

Pic. #4 --- Another pic. of the same area better showing the electrical connector(s) for the anti-dieseling sol. and the kick-down switch.  12 volts (ignition switched) into the top side the kick-down switch connector (orange wire) and back out of that same side for 12 volts to the anti-dieseling sol (green wire).  Other side of the kick-down connector, 90 degrees away, the single wire (orange) goes down to the transmission.  You can also see the bracket that mounts the anti-dieseling sol. is attached to the same area as the coil mount.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

Pardon me for saying so, I know you didn't do it, but that engine compartment wiring, etc. is an absolute mess!  Looks like someone stripped out some valuable parts and sold them off separately from the car.

A few more general pictures of my engine compartment.  Note in the 3rd pic. the vacuum tubes/lines coming off the back of the carb.  The larger one on the bottom goes to the power brake booster, the smaller one goes down the right side to the vacuum modulator on the right side of the trans on a rear wheel drive car.  Your TH425 trans. should have the same line but I am not sure of its routing in an Eldo.

Edit:  My car is not bone stock in some areas, as others my notice, but it is basically so.

Stoverlarry

Yeah I know it is a complete mess but I plan on getting it right need to get it running again some reason I'm not getting any Spark out of the coil

Stoverlarry

And Cole is brand new I'm getting 12 volts to the double wire hot wire but when I put it on the coil I'm only getting 5 volts which I believe that's right during cranking to get 7 and 1/2 to 8 votes I used the coil wire coming off the coil and one of those spark plug testers for check for spark I don't get anything

35-709

12 volts at the + side of the coil when the starter is cranking the engine to start it --- 7 to 8 volts at the + side of the coil when the engine has started.  Wires to the coil go to the coil's + terminal, wire to the distributor comes from the coil's - (minus) terminal.  With the ignition in the ON (not START) position but the engine not running you should also have 7/8 volts at the + terminal of the coil. 

I know Bruce has said this before but somehow that is not exactly what I am understanding from your post.  What you really need is someone who understands your Cadillac and its wiring to stand there with you and sort things out --- know anyone near you like that?

Larry
What part of the universe are you in?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Stoverlarry

Don't have anyone around here with that kind of knowledge

Stoverlarry

I'm just waiting on my book but I do got to admit it's bugging the hell out of me

TJ Hopland

The 2 pin connector that is bent 90* is the one for the kickdown.   As long as its not shorting to anything it should not be hurting anything not being connected.    I can't tell for sure in an earlier photo but it didn't look like the resistor wire was connected to anything. 

I think was Greg was getting at with the roughly where are you located question was maybe there is a member in your area that could come take a look at it.    This club and forum have members all over the world and many of them work on their own cars.   It would be even better if there is someone with a 72 that could drive it to yours so you had them side by side.     

Back when I first got my car and joined the local club I found out there was a member with an almost identical car a couple miles from my parents house.   I was able to drive over to his garage with my box of random parts that came in the trunk and figure out where everything went and what wasn't even for that car. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Stoverlarry

Westmoreland Tn North of Nashville Tn that whould work out good

Scot Minesinger

Some places sell new wiring harness for under dash, such as USA Parts.  I bought one for my 1970 Cadillac.  Collectors seem to be willing to put that time and money into a 1965-70 DVC, but not an Eldorado so it may not be reproduced.  The body wiring harnesses are not reproduced, unless you go custom made (you have to get them a core) - then say good by to thousands of dollars and weeks of time. 

A really good option is used.  I have bought a used harness for a 1972 Eldorado (engine bay) and a 1970 SDV (body) from Cadillac King in CA, and they were very lean and good quality.

The shop manual is essential, but sometimes even with that it is not very easy to deal with because the wiring diagram is diagrammatic, very small print, and not in color.  The color wiring diagrams offered for sale as reproductions often contain errors.  I would buy a used one if price is OK.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Larry
If all you want is to get it running I might suggest running a jumper from the battery to the coil. Be sure the car is in neutral and then hit the start position of the ignition switch. To shut it off just disconnect the jumper.

Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Stoverlarry

Stoverlarry

This is some of what I'm dealing with that was in the fuse block was in a 25 watt breaker and the fuse that's melted there is a 40 amp not good

The Tassie Devil(le)

Larry,

Boy oh boy.   You have a fair bit of checking to do there.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Larry, I have attached a shot of one (of the many) wiring diagrams that you will find in the 72 Factory service manual.  It is going to be just like how you eat an elephant. One bite at a time.  The drawings show where the individual wires go into each of the bulkhead connectors and where they terminate.  I have found these diagrams 100% accurate. 
For example, I would start at the bulkhead connector on the engine side of the firewall. I would verify the wires (color and guage) are in the correct connection of the connector, and then I would follow them to the device that they are supposed to serve.
As a practical tip, what IO did was to remove the diagrams I needed from the service manual and had enlarged copies of the diagrams made.  I then colored the wires on the copy as indicated so tracing them was easier.  Easier is a relative word.  With what you have shown us so far I would expect that a good 50 to 60 hours will be involved in completion of this task.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Stoverlarry

My buddy has a 68 Cadillac DeVille power windows and convertible top stopped working the same time any suggestions