News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

1960 390 2 x 4 engine for sale

Started by BJM, March 22, 2019, 10:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby B

Then Go for it......
                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

BJM

I would need a car to put it in.  It obviously has aftermarket parts on it but I like the stock valve covers. I always liked the stock valve covers for Cadillac motors. 

coupe33

BJM
Just so you know the intake is rare enough to command $2K. A complete overhaul for parts alone is another 3K been there done that but I preferred the earlier script valve covers. There are no new oil pumps available they are kits and you have to rebuild them. If you like the later valve covers they are easy to find. There are aftermarket covers. They do make new water pumps. I use the original connecting rods as long as they are good. Ten years ago you could still find a running Cad 390 for under a thousand with 70 to 80K miles.
Ed Hawkins

BJM

Ed
Thanks. I figured that aluminum intake had to be valuable. It looks awesome and I am sure this motor produces decent hp.   I like the script valve covers too, I just like that Cadillac embossed their name in the valve covers while other manufacturers did not. 

I also know that just a stock rebuild is $5000 to $10,000, these prices crippling the hobby for average folks.  So you are right, this is likely a bargain more or less. Might be able to get "just the engine" for $3000 or so, as many would want to put a SBC in the host vehicle.

coupe33

BJM
Not sure what someone could get it for. I sold my last 390 block with bare heads and rusty valve covers as just covers for cleanliness for $900. It was all machined and had the connecting rods everything else is available. I sold a 1961 390 for $1200. Stock runner with a rebuilt carb just not doing anymore 390 engines. I am putting a 331 together for my hot rod and Speed Jem's still makes all the adaptors but I am done in the rebuilding for myself. As noted it is cheaper to buy a new Chevy engine than rebuild one of the Cad's 6 in the last ten years.
Ed Hawkins