News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Sabre wheels

Started by Leesnap, January 14, 2020, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leesnap

Looking to buy 4 Sabre wheels for my 1956 series 62 coupe. Restored would be preferable please but will consider any other options.
Thanks for looking!
Liam Lydon

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Leesnap

Hey thx I’ll check it out!
Liam Lydon

Lexi

I believe I have a set of four 1956 gold sabres left that I would part with. They are driver quality, though you would have to source a set of center caps and medallion badges for them, (those parts are available as repros).  The '56 sabres are built differently and are stronger than their predecessors. The '56s are also a true tubeless rim. If interested PM me. Clay/Lexi

George D. Mukalian CLC # 10047

What size are the wheels?
Can you send pictures?

Thanks,

George
George D. Mukalian
CLC #10047

Lexi

Hello George. The 1956 Gold Sabres are a 15" x 6" rim. They comfortably accept tire size 8.20 x 15, though others use 235/75 or 225/75 sized tires. Bolt pattern of the rim is said to be 5 x 127mm (5 x 5) with a 108mm bore (4.25 in). Not sure what type of car you are considering putting them on, but if these specs work for you, let me know and I will dig them out of storage and take some photographs for you. Clay/Lexi

Leesnap

Hi Lexi
Id be interested in them as well, I may need to Rechrome a good set to get what I’m looking for.  I’m more interested in those years as well bc from what I understand they weren’t split rim design??

Thx
Liam
Liam Lydon

Lexi

Yes, the '56 sabres are not the split rim design, (that was '55). I stand to be corrected, but originally owners were encouraged to fit an inner tube in the '55 rims, (possibly because of how they were made in 2 pieces and all the extra rivets as points of potential leaks). If they were tubeless just like the '56s hopefully someone will chime in and update us, as I may be mistaken about that. '55s were available only in chrome, and like later sabres the chrome rims often seem to be the ones susceptible to pitting. All gold '56s I have seen have resisted corrosion where the gold finish was intact, though they have a tendency to lose some of their luster, (perhaps climate or sunning?). Generally they seem to age better, at least that has been my experience. Will dig them out and take some pics. Will try to do in the next couple of weeks. Clay/Lexi

Leesnap

Liam Lydon

Chuck Swanson

I have a nice chrome set, driver quality, no road rash on the edges.  I see you are in MA.  Daughter goes to school in Worcester, so can possible deliver in March to Worcester.  Also have center caps, new or driver quality.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hello Lexi:

Yes, you are correct.  The design of the 1955 Saber wheel
due to the rivets did not hold air pressure with regular use. 
Most owners (including on my car) used tubes.  The 1956
design was better in that regard.

However, the gold anodized finish on the '56 wheels was
problematic as they tended to lose their luster and
Cadillac received numerous complaints.  For that reason,
they were a one year only option.  The chrome plated
finish holds up quite well, being a true plating vs.
anodizing.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

Mike that is good to know. Thank you. I thought that was the case, so, the 'clad' 1956 Sabres could be the first true tubeless aluminum rims? The gold finish did lose their luster, which was noted in the April 1956 Serviceman issue in a brief report titled Discolored Gold Wheels Still Being Reported. It was noted that improper cleaning caused "damage" to the rims, i.e.: fading, (similar caution extended to gold grilles). I have often wondered if anyone now knows what actual color the 1956 gold sabres were when new? Did they also fade a bit over time even if cleaned properly? I still think that climate and/or sunning impacted color as color fade that is consistent with that noted on gold Sabres is also observed on gold grilles, (a body part that I suspect was not cleaned as regularly as rims). Original gold grilles are often faded looking as well. At least these anodized parts don't seem to pit, that has been my experience.

Also of interest is that on the same page there is an article on sealing wheel leaks on '55 & '56 Cadillacs where it was reported that some early 1956 Sabre wheels were of the split rim design. I have owned about 25 1956 gold Sabres and I have never seen a split rim gold Sabre. I imagine that early '56 Sabres were probably left over '55 chrome Sabres. I believe their outer rim appearance is the same, so they would work.

Still have to dig out my remaining gold Sabres and when done will update. Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Finally got the 4 gold sabres out of storage, so I will shoot some images and post them, probably in the parts for sale section, (to keep the Forum Administrators happy). Clay/Lexi

Lexi

Will post the Sabres today under Parts for Sale section. Clay/Lexi