News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

The bracket itself wasn't "cleaned". I bead blasted it then electroplated the part with Zinc, then dipped in Yellow dichromate.

The light assembly was soaked in Rust rescue rust dissolver.
It cleaned up surface grime and internal rust that was a problem. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

I had the need to spin my car on the rotisserie to take some photos.  This car has been on the rotisserie since I sandblasted it in 2015.  I have literally spun it completely around hundreds of times. 

Acorns and mouse nest materials fell out commonly in the past. But I have been blowing out every cavity for so long I thought it was all gone.  As I rotated today a small steam of sandblasting sand came out. Very odd. That hasn't happened in a long time.  Then another acorn fell out. I guess something else broke loose.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

I know the feeling.

It is the job that keeps on giving and giving when you thought it was all gone.

I sandblasted one of my cars, with the Blaster being 120 miles away.   The Shell was vacuumed out, then put on a trailer for the tow home.   Half way home, I rolled the car off the trailer and put it back on, the other way around, and continued on the trip.   Boy, sand particles were constantly flying out as we went, and upon arriving home, there was still stuff in the nooks and crannies.   This body shell had been primed as well, inside out, and yet, sand still got trapped.

Another car, we had Caustic Soda Blasted, and 10 years later, the owner is still finding remains in odd places.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

I needed to take a break from plating hardware.  It is very slow and tedious.   

I decided to work on the heater box.   

Quick question. The bolts have a thin stamped T head. I think I will just need to buy some threaded rod and weld in my own thin T heads. 

But before I do that does anyone know if these parts are available to buy? 

Clewisiii

Well I could not press them out. So I drilled them out.   I will need to make some very flat spotwelds

Clewisiii

Blasting, painting, and plating each piece.

Tomorrow I will weld new studs onto the case outer.

Clewisiii

Why didn't I start cleaning parts with acid years ago. Makes sandblasting after much easier.

Clewisiii

I welded in new studs, and sandblasted everything. Working through a paint coat now.   Originally they didn't paint the inside. Which is odd since it is a high moisture area. 

I have cleaned and painted all the hose clamps. 

There are a few plastic pieces I need to work through.  And I will need to buy new vacuum pots for the AC.  I didn't buy them at $70. Now they are $110 each.

Clewisiii

I kept the access panel seperate so that I can match up to the original paint. 

From the color charts I have it is closest to SEM blue mist vinyl paint.  But it is a little to dark.

Clewisiii

Cleaning up my heater cable and it broke.  Dang.  A replacement shouldn't be hard to make.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Clewisiii on March 05, 2022, 02:58:03 PM
I welded in new studs, and sandblasted everything. Working through a paint coat now.   Originally they didn't paint the inside. Which is odd since it is a high moisture area
One would be surprised what the factories didn't paint when building cars.   These cars weren't designed to last forever.

These days with the immersion painting methods including E Coating, as in electronic painting, the paint gets everywhere.

I am recovering the seats in my '72 Eldorado Convertible, and none of the steel components that couldn't be seen, unless the seats were removed, were protected with any sort of paint or rust proofing.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

My in cab airbox has been cleaned up.  I left the access panel alone in case I decided to match the original color and recoat. 

I will have the heater core recored locally.  The temp valve will be sent out.

I ordered all the gaskets.  I need to order new duct hose.  I need to replace one cable. My IP controls I did a few weeks ago. 

Next is the underhood parts.  The underhood box metal parts are riveted. I don't know if I am going to try to take apart and re-rivet. Or try to sandblast on the plastic.  I don't really like that option.

I have not disassembled the AC yet.

Clewisiii

So my current zinc anode are toast.  I use two one on each side to get even plating. But each piece cost $20 from Caswell. They are very thin plate.  I have bought 5 of those so far

I do not know how much more plating I have left. But for $50 I ordered a 6x12 inch 1/2 inch thick zinc bar for my next round. Should last me until I scrap all this. I might not play anything else for a few weeks until that shows up.

Clewisiii

I received a shipping notification from SMS.  I am waiting on 6 yards of trunk fabric from April 2020, and 5 yards of vinyl from an order in Nov 2020.

I don't know if it is one or both orders.  But I will be happy to get that material order behind me.  I decided i will not use the leather i ordered from SMS. The quality was terrible but it was not worth the fight to get then to take this back.  I will have a hide custom dyed by someone else.

dogbergs

Carl (and all you others out there)

This thread is like the mother of all restoration threads?
I mean, more thorough and explanning wouldn't be possible, it's like the master shop manual for 61 Cad.

Love it!

Slava Ukraini!

Johan Lundgren / Sweden
-51 Cadillac serie 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara 2dHt, 1 driving and 1 for spares.
-70 Volvo 121 (Now sold after 21 years)
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-43 Royal Enfield WDCO
-33 Ford Pick up, project

Clewisiii

My 6 yard fabric trunk liner order has arrived. In April it would have been 2 years since I ordered it.

I will happily complain about the time but I will also happily say it is a perfect match to my original spare tire cover.

I am still waiting on five yards of vinyl. That will be a 2 year wait come November

Clewisiii

My new Zinc bar for my electroplating showed up today.  About a week early. Here it is side by side with the Zinc plate I was buying for $20 each

This should last years.

Clewisiii

I was so happy, I thought that the last of my order from SMS was arriving today and I would be done with them.  The invoice on the shipper said 5 yards but it only measured 10 ft.  So now I must work out with them that my order was short shipped that they marked as complete.  I hope they accept that it is short.

Clewisiii

The funny thing is when I ordered it in November 2020 they told be they would have to remake it.  After a year and a half I get this partial roll of NOS. I just talked to her and she said they found this partial roll and if I wanted the other 1.5 yards I would have to wait for them to make more.  My thoughts were what have I been waiting on this last year and a half.   So they are giving me a refund.

Clewisiii

No that I have extra material I am back to doing some sewing tests.  This is my second sun visor test.  Still not good enough so I will need to try again.