News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Totaled 1940 LaSalle 5227 for sale

Started by z3skybolt, August 14, 2020, 01:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

My LaSalle is totaled,

I hate to see it go to a salvage yard.  Knowing that there are many talented person here who could remake my car into a nice reliable driver....I thought that I'd take a shot at offering it for sale.  I am including a before and and after picture.

What can I say? I could part it out and probably eventually exceed my asking price. But that is a pain both physically and emotionally. I'd rather see a talented individual put it back together and get it on the road again. Honestly if I had the talents I would do so myself. But I am limited to oil changes and tune ups.  A fellow member helped locate a parts car in Conn. that has everything needed to restore, including grille and bumper for $2,000.00.  Bumper and grille solid but must be rechromed.  Hundreds of hours of personal labor and several additional thousand dollars should make a really nice car.

I am located 50 miles from St.Louis.  I am asking $7,500.00. My price is firm.

Bob R.

1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

guyrobert

That is very sad to see let's hope you find the right buyer!
1979 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
1979 Coupe De Ville Phaeton
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson

gkhashem

Such as shame to see such a nice car ruined.

I can understand the feelings after putting so much effort and time into making the car a nice vehicle.

I hope you find someone with the talent to make her like new again.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

chrisntam

Here’s a thought, though not sure what your replacement car will be...

If you plan on getting another ‘40, keep this one until your replacement arrives should the damaged one have better parts than the new one has.

What are your thoughts on it’s replacement?

From another thread, "Prefer a 40 or 39 LaSalle."

Updated....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Wow Bob !!     How did you walk away from this wreck??.....That ain't tin foil that is all bent and twisted....

Glad your OK....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

GBrown #8092

Amen! That looks pretty serious. Glad you're okay.

Glenn

z3skybolt

Quote from: chrisntam on August 15, 2020, 08:29:19 PM
Here’s a thought, though not sure what your replacement car will be...

If you plan on getting another ‘40, keep this one until your replacement arrives should the damaged one have better parts than the new one has.

What are your thoughts on it’s replacement?

From another thread, "Prefer a 40 or 39 LaSalle."

Updated....

Chris,

I am still in the hunt.  Basically restricting myself to a 39 or 40 LaSalle or a 39/ 40/41 Cadillac. Will not consider a convertible. I traveled  1,964 miles last week looking at a 41 Cadillac 6127 and a 40 LaSalle 5019.  Both were nice cars, but not as nice as mine was. The Cadillac was beautiful but had noisy lifters and too much steering slop. The LaSalle was pretty good, the engine was smooth and quiet, started instantly even when hot....priced $14,000.00 less than the 6127..... but had steering issues worse than the Cadillac.  My LaSalle set such a high bar that it is going to be difficult finding something as nice.

I have settled with Hagerty and will spend some time looking for just the right vehicle. 

Bob R.

fishnjim

If you have the parts, take to a body shop, body school/training program/community college, etc*, or some resto place and let them finish, then sell it.   
I think your price is very high for someone to take on a project like this, especially for the average member without the body tools/know how/mechanical skills, as you attest, because there's no way to know the condition in a pre-war until it comes apart.   A lot of the straightening info is not available today so basically has to go down to the frame table.   So a good end result is a crap shoot.   Restored value is not that high and declining.   The unfortunate state of prewars today.   They weren't designed for crash energy absorption.   C'est la "collector car" vie.
Easy for the insurance guy to determine cost to restore exceeds the value of the car and total.   I'd look for different type insurance coverage on the next one.
*- donate and take tax break optional.

z3skybolt

Fishin Jim,

I am very happy with Hagerty.  Paid agreed to value without hesitation, towing fee and property damage.  I understand all that you are saying about repair and eventual value.  I have no problem with keeping it as an insurance policy for the next LaSalle/Cadillac.  Great engine, transmission and drive train. Beautiful interior, much undamaged chrome and body parts.  If I never need anything....little doubt that I could get my "repurchase" price back.

Next collector car will also be with Hagerty and will have an agreed to value well in excess of purchase price, plus salvage insurance.  Didn't know about that before.  I've learned a lot after the fact.

Take care,

Bob R.

J. Skelly

Bob,

It's an unfortunate loss, but in the big scheme of things, at least you weren't seriously hurt or had a passenger in there at the time.  That was a beautiful car.  Hopefully someone accepts the challenge to restore it again.

Would you please elaborate on the salvage insurance?

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

z3skybolt

Jim,

I cannot elaborate on the salvage insurance other than to say that it is available and not very expensive. I learned about it from a CLC member after my accident. My LaSalle was insured with Hagerty and they paid the agreed to value without hesitation, the towing bill and property damage claims. I bought the car back from them for a fair amount.  Cannot say enough good about Hagerty.  When I get my next LaSalle/Cadillac I will purchase the salvage insurance as well.  A call to Hagerty would answer all your questions.

Yes when I look at the impact damage I cannot believe that I escaped with a few bumps, bruises and a bit of whiplash.  All symptoms disappeared within a few days. No seat belts of course!

Best wishes,

bob

Dan LeBlanc

Basically salvage insurance is coverage that if you decide to keep your car in the event of a total loss, the salvage value is not deducted from your payout.  You keep the car and get 100% of the agreed-to value coverage.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Lexi

A CLC buddy has made two claims through Hagerty; one for the theft of his Cadillac and the other for accident damage to his other Caddy. Hagerty was very fair to deal with he said. Paid out quickly and no issues. Another buddy had his Caddy written off in an accident and Hagerty again was fantastic in the handling of his claim. Good luck in your search for a replacement vehicle Bob. Clay/Lexi

dinhnguyen57

How expensive is Salvage Insurance..lets say a $100,000 car?
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

J. Skelly

thanks for the explanation, Dan; I, too, have Hagerty
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Come down to Australia and we have Shannons Insurance, where the Salvage cover is automatically in the Full Coverage policy.

Had my own car (Ute) written off, got full value, plus the wreck, which I have rebuilt.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: dinhnguyen57 on August 25, 2020, 03:56:56 PM
How expensive is Salvage Insurance..lets say a $100,000 car?

The rate here in Canada from Hagerty is 15% of your annual premium.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dexfoster

1947 sedanette
1947 sedan
1946 sedan
1957 coupe deville

dinhnguyen57

1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

schanerauto

hello Bob ,
Kevin from California here with a few questions.
first, sorry for this loss.
i can see the shutters ,but is the radiator damaged ?
front wheel or front suspension damage
my dad got in trouble during wwII when he repaired his commanding officers Lasalle,after he repaired it
he polished it and his commanders wife would not let him drive it to the base anymore
Thanks Kevin Schaner