News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'56 Eldorado Seville (Maryland) on FB marketplace $8500

Started by RFelts, October 24, 2020, 05:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFelts

It's sad to see one of these in this condition.  Hopefully someone will save it. (not mine)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/841034133390697
Upper Marlboro, MD

'70 DeVille Conv
'88 Brougham

BJM

Why don't people with these cars do conditional $2000 sales?   Why always "max dollar"?   In other words, if you had a younger CLC member offer $2000 but had a nice garage, cash flow, and time - why not sell it to them for $2000 to $3000?  With contractual stipulations that it not be "flipped." 

Lexi

I agree BJM. At the current listed price I suspect it will continue to sit and deteriorate. Way over priced in my opinion. As an alternative, this listing on Hemmings provides far better value for a '56 Seville. Even if you got some major work to do on this other car, you would be in a far better financial situation with this other vehicle. Clay/Lexi

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/cadillac/eldorado/2307345.html

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

holydagmars

Quote from: lexi on October 25, 2020, 05:44:59 PM
I agree BJM. At the current listed price I suspect it will continue to sit and deteriorate. Way over priced in my opinion. As an alternative, this listing on Hemmings provides far better value for a '56 Seville. Even if you got some major work to do on this other car, you would be in a far better financial situation with this other vehicle. Clay/Lexi

Well, of course it's almost always financially wiser to pony up for a good, sound car rather than jump into a mess at a lower price.  But surely folks buy low-priced "fixers" because an expensive buy-in is beyond their immediate means or because they are restrained by domestic issues.  In any case, as usual, life in this arena is obviously lots easier for those who have plenty of ready cash than for those who don't.

G Pennington

And some people simply enjoy the challenge of doing the restoration themselves...
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

BJM

Quote from: G Pennington on October 26, 2020, 03:56:56 AM
And some people simply enjoy the challenge of doing the restoration themselves...

Absolutely!   The hobby is divided into many segments.  One of which is restoration.  I no longer have a garage capable of disassembly of this car.  But it would be fun.  In my opinion, it's not really that rare.  At one time I thought cars like this one are rare. 

cadman56

The car in Hemmings is the better value.
However, as one who knows rery well the foibles of the 56 Cadillac,  I see several items that would need repairing.
A biggie, if one intends to drive it much, would be the wiring, switches,etc.
Very nice car to start with, though.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Even if such a "no-sale" covenant was enforceable, it's doubtful whether it would have any bearing on what the owner will accept for it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

Yes. In this case it looks like it may be an example of what Lou Commisso used to call "The Cadillac Curse". That means someone asks a lot more for a project car just because it is a Cadillac. The cache that the name Cadillac carries adds dollars to the price, when it should not. More would have to be known about this car prior to even making an offer. Clay/Lexi

Everybody acting rationally tries to get the most out of whatever they're selling. From basket case to time capsule, from Pinto to Pierce Arrow, from bowling balls to sewing machines.   8)

holydagmars

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on October 26, 2020, 01:51:31 PM
Everybody acting rationally tries to get the most out of whatever they're selling. From basket case to time capsule, from Pinto to Pierce Arrow, from bowling balls to sewing machines.   8)

Hmm -- this is an interesting comment.  A few years ago, I bought a very nice '30 Buick roadster from a family who sold it to me at a much lower price than others had offered because they were concerned about the car's future.  I had just done the same with a '35 coupe, much in need of a friend, that I sold to one of my former students.

Were these not "rational" sales?  Guess it depends on how the term is defined.

Lexi

Yes, holydagmars I have heard of that scenario before. There was a local who owned an early Oldsmobile, the one with the first hydramatic transmission, (1940?). His first concern was who he would sell the car to. Therefore, interviews were conducted to test the prospective buyer's eligibility criteria. Needless to say, he wanted to find another good "caretaker" for the car, rather than a flipper or a hot rodder. Price I was told was secondary, as long as it was reasonable. So there are other factors that may influence the final price. Seems rational to me to ensure that a car goes to a good home, even if a lower than normal price is negotiated. Though as Eric pointed out earlier, enforcing various covenants once ownership has changed, may prove difficult. Clay/Lexi

D.Smith

That's an insane price for that condition.   

Clearly a non car person owns it.  They think every old Cadillac is worth ten grand based on how much NEW ones sell for.

BJM

Quote from: holydagmars on October 26, 2020, 09:57:01 PM
Hmm -- this is an interesting comment.  A few years ago, I bought a very nice '30 Buick roadster from a family who sold it to me at a much lower price than others had offered because they were concerned about the car's future.  I had just done the same with a '35 coupe, much in need of a friend, that I sold to one of my former students.

It happens more than you think.  I have purchased several cars this way and sent a few to buyers who underpaid for cars because I wanted them to be cherished and restored or used for parts. 

We are all saying that the Seville is over priced at $8500.  Yet the ad will likely quietly go a way and there won't be much follow up on what happened.  Did it sell for close to $8500, is it still sitting there - we just won't know. 

Quote from: holydagmars on October 26, 2020, 09:57:01 PM

Entirely possible. But it's also possible they convinced themselves that "interest" at a given price tantamount to a bonified  offer to buy...or they were just blowing smoke. (I've seen both happen plenty of times) Since we don't know how much one of the other parties would have actually paid, nobody can say for sure now how much of a break you got. 

Lexi

Yes, The Cadillac Curse is alive and well. If this car was worth having, and at a more reasonable price, I would have thought that Marc Tuwiner's classic Caddy business, Annapolis Classic Cars, would have snapped it up. They are located in the same city as this facebook car is advertised as being located, (unless it is their car). Clay/Lexi

BJM

Quote from: lexi on October 25, 2020, 05:44:59 PM

This is exactly why I don't want to overpay for a project vehicle, even a Seville.  I am surprised to still see the 2 x 4 motor in the noted Seville above.  Especially where it appears to be sitting.  I could imagine that parts hoarders would have stolen it or the owner would have stripped to sell off. 

$8500 for this one or $24,000 or so for the Goldenrod Garage one.

I have a question for the knowledgeable - the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz convertible - was it more appointed than a Seville or all the same except the convertible top?

Quote from: BJM on October 28, 2020, 08:03:27 AM
I have a question for the knowledgeable - the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz convertible - was it more appointed than a Seville or all the same except the convertible top?

Appointed the same except for the convertible roof. Seville was also offered in cloth & leather upholstery combinations as well as leather while Biarritz interior was leather only.