News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tires for 1959 Cadillac

Started by Ben Acheff, February 16, 2021, 11:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Acheff

I'm trying to locate tires for my 1959 Cadillac.  I like the 3" wide whitewalls currently on the car, but I can't seem to find any new tires like them.  I don't want the super-wide "gangster" whitewalls, nor the pencil-thin modern style whites.  The tires currently on the car read "Dimension IV", but I can't locate any information on this tire model/manufacturer online.  Does anyone know where to find these or similar?

David Greenburg

Diamond Back will make any size whitewall you want, in either a standard radial or their “Auburn” series, which is radial construction, but is sized and looks like a bias ply tire. I have their regular radials on one car and Auburns on the other, and have been very happy with them.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Harley Earl

Check out Coker Tire, as well as DiamondBack.  I have Coker's American Classic product on my 1950 Cadillac.  Coker recently made good on a warranty issue with my tires (I also have their warranty).  Coker sells bias ply and radial construction wide white walls of all different specifications.  You can choose whatever whitewall size you wish.  Make sure you get the sizing correct whatever vendor you choose.  I've had good recent conversations with both DiamondBack and Coker.  Both vendors cater to classic cars and the classic car industry in general.  Hope this helps!
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s

76eldo

A lot of people have had problems with Coker tires in the last few years.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

smatarese

I have a set of Diamondbacks on my 1959 and 1960 and love them. The set on the 59 are a Michelin tire and the 60 is a Toyo, not sure of the exact model on each. Have the set on the 60 for about 2k miles and 4 years and have no complaints for wear or looks. 1959 set is only about 6 months, but so far so good. Tire technology has come a long way and I’m happy to have modern tires with old looks on my cars. My only advice is to make sure that your rims are in good shape, true, and round. I had all 10 rims between both cars checked for roundness, adjusted, and repainted before my tires went on. They balanced out with minimal weight.
1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1960 Eldorado Brougham

dinhnguyen57

I have Diamondbacks on my '59 and like them.  No issues.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

docscantlin

I have a daily driver, 1937 Buick Limited. The last 20 years I have put on tens of thousands of miles. Rule number one. NEVER use tubes! Unless you enjoy flat tires. For safety, never use biased ply. I have bought many Coker tires but they wear out pretty fast. After giving Diamond Back a try, they seem to last "way too long" as the white walls get scuffed up in about 5 years but still plenty of tread. Amazing tires. That's frustrating, in a good way.

Cadillac Jack 82

I love the set of Firestone white wall tires I use on my 55 but I don't know how they'd look on a 59.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper