News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Exhaust Manifold paint

Started by 62 driver, February 18, 2023, 12:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 driver

Should I paint my exhaust manifolds with the high heat silver paint or leave them unpainted? Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

fishnjim

Depends how good or bad they are.  I opted to have mine and a spare set coated with ceramic.   Cost about $60-80 each side.  I have a "local" industrial coater so was not a costly shipping event.  He's on the way to one of the local lakes.   They used a nice cast iron grey coating and always look new - inside and out.  I've even had leaking power steering fluid burn on the one side.
Any paint will not last as the exhaust temp is a bit high for most engine paints, but the newer nano ones are better than past.  The engine has oil circulating which cools it, but the exhaust gas is coming out around 700F.  I've seen them glow red on race cars/headers.  We also see this paint burn off in the early, pre-'61-64, manifolds that have the exhaust gas bypass under the carb, aka carb "heater" to prevent carb icing which is more appropriate for aviation craft.

Carfreak

Just had a set of GM non-Cadillac exhaust manifolds treated by QC Coatings of Shelby Township, MI.  I am happy with the results.  Cost was $195

https://www.qccoatings.com/ceramiccoating

QuoteDun Right Q.C. Coatings offers a high heat high luster silver ceramic coating that is capable of withstanding temperatures of 1600 degrees, Cast iron gray that will withstand 1300 degrees, and a black ceramic that will withstand 1800 degrees! In addition they will provide a dramatic reduction in radiated heat while providing excellent chemical and corrosion protection. These ceramic coatings offer excellent thermal barrier characteristics,which means reduced under hood temperatures, accelerated exhaust gas velocity and a longer life expectancy for the entire exhaust system.

Why ceramic coatings?
Ceramics, unlike header wraps and traditional heat paint do not hold damaging heat and moisture around the part. Rather, the surface temperatures are reduced extending the life of the part. When cured properly a corrosive inhibiting layer is formed that protects the part against oxidation and chemical stresses.

Preparation
The general preparation for most applications is a degreasing, whether it be thermal and or chemical, sandblasting, cleaning, and finally coating.

High luster silver 1600 degree
Our most popular ceramic coatings containing a ceramic reinforcement with finely ground aluminum particles sharing the brilliance of polished aluminum with the durability of nickel! It provides a brilliant appearance in a high temperature coating.

Matte black 1800 degree
Our most extreme high temperature coating. A ceramic reinforced black paint. A matte or flat black appearance with the same heat reducing, chemical resistance as the silver, but in a non flashy almost stealth appearance!

Cast iron gray 1300 degree
Same chemical resistance as black and silver and with our special technique of applying the coating, will reduce under hood temps as well. A natural looking cast appearance perfect for the restoration of your factory exhaust manifolds!

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.