News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

49 Caddy fuel pump

Started by 49 Caddy, February 25, 2023, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Rebuilding the fuel pump on my 49 Cadillac and it is almost complete.  There is a new pin and bushing that holds the arm that actuates the diaphram of the pump.  How is the new pin held in place?  Do you peen the casting on both sides?  At a loss here.

Davidcamper

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to the shaft that holds the lever? If so, I used a punch and gently tapped it out the other side.

It is real important on these pumps that you pack this lever chambers with grease prior to re-installing.

49 Caddy

So, what holds the new one in?  Do you peen the casting?

Davidcamper

Yes, ever so slightly and I also use the red loc tite.

Davidcamper

Be extra careful on the 1949 pump housing when peening. The alloy casting is softer than 1951 and later due to having more zinc. The pic I posted is late 1951 which has less zink.

Davidcamper

This is the chamber you pack with grease. Back in the day, all mechanics knew to do this to extend the life of the pump.

49 Caddy

A few days ago I accidentally found this video. It shows the overhaul of a 1949 fuel pump.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cdA_vHeHfXs
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Rossoroo

The fellow at "Then and Now" was good enough to make the video when I told him about my intent. I bought my rebuild kit through them and it came with the "C" clips you use to secure the pivot pin in place. [14:00 on the video] If you don't have the clips, they might be able to help you out.
49-6269 My First Caddy

49 Caddy

Thanks, 6262.  Video was very informative and answered all my questions.  Only thing left to do is install that shaft and make it stay in place.  Mine does not have the pivot pin "C" clips, Rossoroo, so I probably will take your advice and see if I can just aquire the part I need.

Davidcamper

There is a reason yours does not have the c clips. It's because it's original.  The after market shafts with c clips are not exactly the same. I do not use them but that is my opinion only. I believe the after market shafts are cheaper made, less carbon and are weak. Again, my opinion. Anything steel nowadays is not the same. Anytime you can reuse post war steel you should.