News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

need some help identifying part and if i can aquire this rusted piece

Started by Byeldon56, April 06, 2023, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byeldon56

I am the owner of my late Uncle's 56 Sedan Deville.

The part is the flange brace support that is attached from the rocker to the floor that connects to the chassis mount.
Does anyone know the actual name and or if a prefab option is available?

I know it is hard for people to do custom vehicle work anymore. If i can at least find the parts it will make it easier.

Cadman-iac

It sounds to me that you are talking about one of the floor braces. There are a lot of them on the car, but nobody makes them that I'm aware of.
The only pieces that I've seen that are made for the 54-56 Cadillacs are the front floor pans. And I'd have to go out and look through my catalogs for the name though.
Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking it's a company called Sherman's Body Parts, or Sherman's Auto Parts, something like that.
To be sure that what you are describing is the same thing that anyone else is thinking, a picture would help.
If I'm right, you're probably going to have to make one, or cut one off of another car.
Unfortunately they don't make many pieces for these cars, not enough for them to be profitable.
 I ended up buying a whole car for the pieces I needed for mine.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Mike Baillargeon #15848

These guys make floor pans and their list says front floor braces also...

wish there were pictures...

https://www.classicfabrication.com/

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Cadman-iac

I found my catalog for Sherman and Associates Inc., and it does list a few things for Cadillac, but not what you are looking for. Plus my catalog is from 2006, so I'm not sure what they offer now. I couldn't get a website for them to come up with parts listings.
 I also found another catalog for a company called Schott Metal Products out of Akron Ohio. Again, it's old and doesn't list much.
  Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Here's the catalogs just for reference.
CLC# 32373

Byeldon56

Hi,
I clicked the add pictures when I made the post but it seems they didn't post IIMG_6170.JPG  will try again.IMG_6172.JPG

dn010

You will either need to fabricate something or find someone with a "parts" 1956 that would be willing to cut this piece out for you. Judging by your photos, you have a lot more going on with the underbody that will require attention than just the body mount parts.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Byeldon56

Hi,

Mike, I Contacted Classic Fabrication and was told they do in fact have the front braces, also for mid braces he said that if I got a measurement or had one from a parts car he can duplicate it. I am going to try to make a Template based on the sections that are still full and see if I can't get a close enough measurement. If anyone has a measurement of intact braces going to the inner rocker that would be great.

Never welded before, However, I didn't know how to do anything I'd done in life before I started. Good of a time as any.

Thank you guys for your help.

Brian

Byeldon56

dn010,
You are correct, will do a lot more as needed, id like to have the right parts handy before tearing anything apart. I will wire-wheel the underside of the car to find what is good or bad. I hit a few areas with a screwdriver and seems just from the inner rockers inward there are issues, I found floor pans and rockers. When I saw the floor braces I knew there is no point in doing the floor without having them fabricated to weld to the floor. This is not a show-stopper car yet it was my late Uncle's, So I will be fixing what I need to for it may be in the open and seen and not kept hidden away.

fishnjim

They're not listed because they are part of the frame assy, sold as a unit - one part number.  Welded not bolted.  Refer to parts list.  brackets - NL = not listed.
For purposes of requesting, refer to "frame body support brackets".
It's not a part you'd find at the local dealer in the day either.   So there's no NOS parts to repro.  They are common rust out items.  The bolt sandwich cushion area is the usual suspect.  More common in snow country as snow packs in there and brings salt with it.
They have to make/stamp from a die that was fabricated. $$$$/ea
You might find some other brand or universal parts in repro or at the junk yard that could be more easily adapted if you can't get these exact.  But your dealing with the support of the vehicle, engineering care is req'd.   It's heavier gauge sheet metal stamping so not easily fabbed from flat stock in the home shop.   May try some of the frame makers and see if they can supply something or where they get there's. 
Usually when it's "all" of them affected, the frame needs examined too, it's a frame off repair to get it right and need a frame table.   
Access to a plasma or water jet cutter and something can be fabbed, too.

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I had to do some major rust repairs on a '64 Impala I purchased, I created the required parts with some bending and forming of heavier grade metal, and welded it all together.

I had access to a Spot Welder back then, making the construction easier, and once the part was made, I completed the repairing of the hole I had to cut out, then on went the bracket.

Before I welded the new part on, I tightened up the rubber body mount to bring the piece into the correct location.

You have a lot more missing, so there will be a lot of cleaning, trimming and fabrication before the mount can be fitted.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

79 Eldorado

Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly but it looks like the frame member is still there with the mount attached but the brace, which should attach to the mount, is totally gone. If you cannot find the part the biggest challenge is determining exactly what you need to build. It would help to see another car which has the part. You can also cut cardboard templates until you get something to fit the profile which you are trying to follow.

The next step is figuring out the least complicated way to approach the fabrication. I could see bending the sides from a connected end and then massaging something to follow the cut profile. If it is the floor, and not the frame, at least you would be working with thinner metal which would be a little easier to work with.

It unfortunately looks like there's a lot to repair. If you cannot buy the brace you may want to start on the floor repair so you have your final shape before you make the brace.

What does the car look like in general?

Scott

Roger Zimmermann

Honestly, I don't understand the comments from fishnjim. According to the pictures, the frame itself is OK. When I got my '56 Biarritz, the supports welded to the floor were looking about the same. I asked a supplier for those reinforcements; obviously, we did not communicate correctly as he cut a frame and sent the riveted supports! Later, I had the luck to be able to buy a front and rear floor.
The rusted elements can be fabricated, it's a lot of work, but possible as the parts don't have a complicated shape.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Byeldon56

Here are some pics of the car, Also attached is the photos i received from Richard at Classic Fabrication, If anyone has a picture of the rear brace that's more squared off it would help me make a template for tehm to make a brace.
IMG_6886.JPGIMG_6886.JPG123_1.jpegIMG_6325.JPGIMG_6324.JPGIMG_6323.JPGIMG_6326.JPG       

Thank you for your help everyone.
Brian

Cadman-iac

That's a beautiful car. You would never know that it was so bad underneath from just looking at the outside of the car.

I'm glad you found a source for at least a few of the pieces you need for it.

Roger, I think TJ was under the impression that it was the actual frame and brackets welded to it that were needed is what I got from reading his post, because there were no pictures to look at at that point.
 I only guessed that the OP was referring to the floor braces because that's what I've seen in mine and many other cars, and the pictures verify that now.

I still haven't taken the pieces off of my parts car since I'm not ready to go to work on this part of it yet. And I'm not looking forward to it either.
 On my car, the previous owner had tried to weld in a patch on the floor, but only succeeded in messing up the floor pan and the brace below it.
 I got lucky with my parts car in that the driver's side was still good and usable as a patch piece. But the passenger side is totally rusted out. It's a good thing I don't need that side.

Byeldon56,
 You definitely have your work cut out for you. It's going to be difficult to do with the car still together, but not impossible. Most people would like to have the body off of the frame for easier access, which is the way I'm going to be doing mine when I get that far.
 The problem with doing this with the body off the frame, is that you pretty much have to dismantle the whole car. So it's a trade-off. I wish you the best on your repairs. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Rick
CLC# 32373