News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Commercial Chassis Cruise Control on / off switch

Started by jmdugas, May 21, 2023, 07:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdugas

I have a 1976 Commercial Chassis and working on troubleshooting an inoperative cruise control.  The car has the cruise control ON-OFF-CRUISE switch (The one that sits in the dashboard), however I do not know if this switch should be an ON/OFF switch or a Momentary ON switch?

Thanks.

Jean-Marc Dugas

TJ Hopland

Its not momentary. Just regular On when up, Off when down.  This is the system power not the one you use to actually engage the system.  On should have a light behind it that is lit when its on.   

The cruise label is a light that lights when the cruise is engaged.  The engage button is in the end of the turn signal stalk.  Its a 2 stage button, you can tell by the notch cut out of the forward side.  If you just partially depress it so your finger stops on the notch that is the plain engage function.  If you fully press it so your finger is recessed this disconnects/resets the speed to zero and is expecting to get a new set speed as you release the button. 

With some age on these it can sometimes help to release slowly and or dwell on that half way point for a little extra time to make sure it engages. When they were new you didn't have to think about it but we are all a little older these days.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jmdugas

Thanks TJ. 

The switch was operating as a momentary switch so I opened it up to have a look.  Will need to source a new one.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In a 1976, the master switch (on dash) should have only two positions (on/off) and the cruise set button is at the end of the turn signal stalk.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute