News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66-68 Headrests

Started by V63, June 20, 2020, 02:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V63

Wanting to add the headrest option to a 1968 fleetwood. Have all those parts ‘visible’. But no internal parts. Anyone familiar with this anticipated project? Later seats (1974-6) internals are more of a fixture of the seat frame.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day William,

You will need these internal parts, which I had to reinstall in a '69 that the owner wanted the upholsterer to leave out when he reupholstered his car.

I found that the plastic "nuts" were broken, so I opted for metal ones, and then had fun installing them in the holes, as this part of the seat frame is a box section.

If your seat frames aren't designed for head restraints, then it might be best to look at getting later seats, and cutting out the section that holds the "frame" and transplanting that into your '68 seat back frame.

Hope this helps.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

I could see adding them to a closed body Fleetwood, but No Way on my 68 convertible; the 68 headrests are bugly.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Please show us a picture of what you want.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would think that the fitting of head restraints after the vehicle was sent to the Dealer, would not be a reasonable task for the Dealer to perform.

The upholstery (seat back) would have to be completely disassembled to perform the task, and this task should have been left to the factory to supply the restraints during manufacture.

There would be a great possibility of the dealer not getting the seat upholstery sitting back as it was, thereby an unsatisfied costomer.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 21, 2020, 08:40:20 PM
The upholstery (seat back) would have to be completely disassembled to perform the task, and this task should have been left to the factory to supply the restraints during manufacture.

I'm not so sure.  It looks like the seat backs come off in one piece.  I vaguely remember taking the seats apart on a parts car and  IIRC the head rest parts are readily accessible then. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

The '69 and up uses a single post, but if the internals aren't installed at the factory, then then a virtual complete stripping will need to take place, in order to cut the frame, drill and fit the internal framework and supporting structure.

My book shows that the head restraint is an option for 1968 for both bench and bucket seats.

Would be nice to see what a non head restraint seat back would look like.

I can't see the factory paying for tens of thousands of specific parts, just in case the owner wants head restraints after the options listing was submitted at ordering time.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

The seat back on my 68 ELDO with the Strato bench seat looks just like the one in the image I sent.  It did not come with headrest, but I found a set and they are in the rafters of my garage.  IIRC I just took the back off the seat back and removed the parts.  Installation would be the reverse. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

My book shows the Strato seat with the head restraint, explaining that all these seats came with the said head restraint.   And it was also available for the Eldorado as well.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Headrests in devilles with bench seat seems rare in 1967-1968. In the sales brochure from 1967 and 1968 its seems like they are different types each year.
The 1967 headrests

are not as "deep" as the 1968

I just found a pair from 1968 that I plan to install in my 1967. 1967 headrests are not common here in Europe.

J. Skelly

Front head restraints were mandatory on all U.S. vehicles sold in the U.S. starting January 1, 1969.  I think the expectation was that since many built vehicles would not be sold prior to January 1, all of the 1969 models came with them.  I just don't recall after all of these years.

It was an option on 1966-1968 GM vehicles, and standard on the 1968 Corvette since its seats had an integrated headrest.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

badpoints

My 67 Sedan DeVille has headrests. It made it very difficult to remove the front seat when I painted the floor. IMG_0108.JPG

Cadillac1967inthenorth

I found a pic of a 1968 Buick LeSabre. It has headrests that looks a lot like the Cadillac ones from 1967. Was there a "standard" B and C body Headrest or was it different headrest for every make?

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: badpoints on December 27, 2023, 07:44:57 AMMy 67 Sedan DeVille has headrests. It made it very difficult to remove the front seat when I painted the floor. IMG_0108.JPG
Nice! Is it not possible to remove the headrests? I understand How difficult it must be to get the seats out with them on.

badpoints

The headrests don't come off without taking apart the seat. I had to rotate the seat 180 and was able to remove because there is no post.

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: badpoints on December 27, 2023, 10:44:28 AMThe headrests don't come off without taking apart the seat. I had to rotate the seat 180 and was able to remove because there is no post.
That sounds horrible!

The Tassie Devil(le)

In 99% of cases, the Head Rests can be removed by inserting a special clip remover down the rest shaft, and releasing the spring retainer.

Once having a seat apart, it is easy to see how the spring operates, and then how to over-ride it.

These head rests were not designed to be removed, as doing so would negate the Federal Safety Laws.  Plus, in the event of a major crash, forces could act in allowing the items to fall out.

The picture is the sneaky spring clip for 1971 and 1972 as a minimum.   This hits the recess in the support that cannot be seen even with the head rest out as far as it can go.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 27, 2023, 06:30:55 PMIn 99% of cases, the Head Rests can be removed by inserting a special clip remover down the rest shaft, and releasing the spring retainer.

Thank You! Im must check the documentation for my Imperial. Im pretty shure that the owners manual or service manual explains How to remove the headrests

Was there any difference among GM cars regarding the headrest shaft, or was it the same in A, B and C-bodies?

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 27, 2023, 06:30:55 PMIn 99% of cases, the Head Rests can be removed by inserting a special clip remover down the rest shaft, and releasing the spring retainer.

Once having a seat apart, it is easy to see how the spring operates, and then how to over-ride it.

These head rests were not designed to be removed, as doing so would negate the Federal Safety Laws.  Plus, in the event of a major crash, forces could act in allowing the items to fall out.

The picture is the sneaky spring clip for 1971 and 1972 as a minimum.   This hits the recess in the support that cannot be seen even with the head rest out as far as it can go.

Thank you, that was great!

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Thank you!