News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Will 59 hydramatic fit in a 1958?

Started by D. Mailan, January 10, 2024, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D. Mailan

Hi all,

My 58's transmission has been giving me issues. Will a 59 hydramatic fit in a 58?

I assume there would be no modifications needed. I know that the transmissions internally are slightly different.

Thanks,
Derick

dn010

According to the interchange book, only 59-60 interchange.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

60eldo

59-60 are 2 different transmissions, 59 is bigger
Jon. Kluczynski

D. Mailan

Yeah, like Jon said. The 59 and 60 are very much structurally different. I believe its impossible to put a 59 jetaway in a 60 due to the size difference to accommodate the lower floor on the 60.

But I am not sure if the 59 and 58 would be able to swap out.

Roger Zimmermann

I'm almost 100% sure it could be done. The main difference is the rear oil pump is no more included into the '59 transmission, but how often do you start the car by pushing it?
A '60 transmission into a '59 car will be OK, but the countrary will be a no go: the case for 1960 is narrower, the floor too.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

D. Mailan

That what I thought Roger.

I am aware of the oil pump difference but that is not a concern. Like you said, how often do you push start a nearly 2 ton cadillac!!