News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Biarritz Power Door Locks-?

Started by FabCad, January 09, 2024, 12:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FabCad

There's a problem with the door lock mechanisms on my 57 Biarritz. I can manually lock and unlock the doors with the door lock knobs. But the doors will not unlock from the exterior using the key (on both sides). I was getting ready to pull the door panels off to investigate, thinking there must be a problem with the linkage. But then I started doing some research. While power door locks were not standard on the Biarritz, it seems some had them as a rare factory option, no? So I'm wondering if my car perhaps has power door locks. And if so, what's the best way to troubleshoot?

Fab
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

dn010

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=145483.0

According to the above, it is working as intended.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

FabCad

Hi Dan,

I saw that post, thanks. But let me clarify... I can manually lock and unlock the doors using the knob from the inside of the car. But, once locked, I cannot unlock the doors from the exterior of the car using the key. So there is definitely a problem.

Fab
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

dn010

Does the key just rotate freely or does it have any resistance? Are you able to lock using the key?
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

V63

Electric Power door locks made introduction ONLY with the 57 eldorado brougham...no other model were they available.

In late 1958 they were introduced to the other models as an option. They had a lightning bolt on the lock knob.

That continued in 1959 but in 1960 they went VACUUM ...and they suck 🤦🏻�♂️

FabCad

The key rotates freely in both directions, no resistance. I cannot lock (or unlock) the doors with the key. So maybe it's the linkage. Just seems strange it would be that way on both sides.
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

Julien Abrahams

Maybe a silly question, but have the door locks worked before?
If there is no resistance at all, I would guess there is something wrong with the linkage. It is strange that the same problem occurs on both doors.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

35-709

Maybe one linkage failed at a time, several years apart and no one cared to fix it until now.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dn010

More than likely the rod fell out of a hole, but as you say it is very odd since 1 - it is both doors and 2 - those rods have retaining clips on them to prevent such a thing. Unfortunately only thing you can do is pull the door card and investigate or run a borescope (if you have one) down the window opening to see if you can notice anything, but you'll still need to remove the door panel to fix it.
-----Dan Benedek
'81 DMC DeLorean

FabCad

Thanks for the ideas. The locks have never worked with the key as long as I've owned this car. So I guess I have no choice other than to pull the door panels off to investigate. I'll let you know what I find...
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

59-in-pieces

Fab,

I did not see how long you have owned the car, since dirt or a day.

I understand that it is a Biarritz = convertible, and you can reach into the car to lock and unlock the car by the buttons.

But once locked, and the top up, how have you managed to get into the car, and maybe drive it.

I too have a 57 Biarritz and I am intrigued by your dilemma.

Using the scope is a great idea, or just bight the bullet and pull the cards.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher