News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 Fast Idle Speed Up

Started by amac4usc, March 12, 2024, 07:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amac4usc

I have a 1965 Eldorado and I need help procuring a fast idle speed up control for a Carter carburetor part # 148 1203. Does anybody have one for sale or can point me in the right direction? I have looked all over google and eBay but cant find anything.

Thanks

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Which side of the carb does the device sit?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

amac4usc

Isn't there just a dashpot on that side contacting the throttle linkage so that it returns softly?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

amac4usc

You might be right. It might be on the passenger rear of the carb. This is what I found in my master parts book. I have a Carter carburetor. 

Cadman-iac

Quote from: amac4usc on March 13, 2024, 06:07:07 PMYou might be right. It might be on the passenger rear of the carb. This is what I found in my master parts book. I have a Carter carburetor. 

I've looked at both of your pictures and I'm not seeing the part you are referring to.
 Is it vacuum operated or is it electrically operated? I've got a Carter carburetor from a 62, and if memory serves it's got an electric actuator on it with a long plunger/shaft that contacts the throttle linkage.
 I'd have to dig it out in order to get a picture of it, but if that's not what you're looking for I won't bother.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

The idle speed up actuator is intended to speed up the idle when the car is in Neutral or pak and the AC is on. Although the FSM does not say this, I believe it was intended for Limos used in Livery service and Hearses.
That said, my 66 did not have that device nor was there any sign that it ever did have it. Check the vacuum lines on the Power servo. If you car was intended to have this device there will be a blue vacuum line from #9 on the 9 port vacuum valve.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Cadman-iac

Greg,
Did that only activate in park or neutral, or drive and reverse because of the additional engine load from the transmission being engaged?
I thought because there isn't any load in park or neutral, there isn't a need to kick up the idle. Or was the thinking that if in gear, the accelerator was going to be applied and the additional activation was not required?
But I may have that backwards too.
Thanks, Rick
CLC# 32373

Rick,
The idle speed up was engaged ONLY in Park and Neutral.  I believe that the idea was that those commercial cars would spend a lot of time idling and even though the idle would naturally increase when out of drive, an even faster idle was necessary to both keep the Air Conditioning system providing more cooling (only would provide less than 20% cooling at idle) and have the radiator fan force more air through the radiator to keep the engine cool.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Cadman-iac

That makes perfect sense. Not having any experience with a limo, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the clarification.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Joe G 12138

Here's a couple pictures of the Air conditioned car (all series) vacuum operated idle kick up on a "65. This car has the Carter AFB carb. The part is located on the passenger side rear of the carb. The Rochesters had a similar setup; it may have been mounted on the driver side. I'm not sure; don't have any around anymore. These base idle on these carbs was primarily set up by the idle air mix screw and vacuum measurements. With an increased air conditioner load it was desired to bump up the idle to keep smooth and not stall. With the air conditioner on, the idle speed is bumped up by the device. Off idle; the car doesn't need to know or care.
     There is a dashpot also on the drivers side as someone suggested, but that is just to soften up the de accelleration action on both a/c and non a/c cars.
      Hope this helps you find what your looking for.  Joe G