News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

membership

Started by Art Archambeault CLC 22010, March 24, 2005, 05:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Archambeault CLC 22010

New CLC member here. CLC22010.  Thanks to every one who has helped me, especially Jeff with all his tech support and to everyone elses post I have read over the years in the resto of my 49 series62.  Thanks   Art

JIM CLC # 15000

03-24-05
ART, welcome to the club!
Good Luck, keep the cards and letters coming!, Jim

Jeff Maltby 4194

Welcome aboard Art. I do my best to assist in 1949 endeavors.

:<)

porter 21919

Al,

Jeff Maltby is a storehouse of knowledge when it comes to 1949 Cadillacs, whenever one surfaces for sale he tracks them, perhaps one of the foremost experts for that year. Given the financial means he would probably have a warehouse full of 49s. I have become a 49 addict due to his influence.

However, I would consider his knowledge of other year Cadillacs dubious, at best. He is strictly focused on the 1949 models, very little gets past his discerning eye when it comes to factory authenticity, correct parts, etc.

I have almost completed the restoration of a 66 CDV and have a 67 CDV project car that I just started on, there are just too many years and models produced for us to become experts on all years of Cadillac.

For Jeff Maltby when it comes to Cadillac, there is only one year and model that is the greatest, the 1949 Fastback. I cant argue with that and it is on my list of the must own Cadillacs.

Porter

Art Archambeuult

No question Porter. His help in some tight spots has been
immeasureable.. Besides the advise and photos, even more so, it is knowing that the other guy knows exactly what your talking about. Hes been there done that. Its this, for some, a simple nod of the head and things are understood, without lenghty discussion or praise. So it is with Jeff and these 49s. He sent me a photo some time back and i almost fell off the chair. It looked exactly like a photo i have of my car at that point of resto. He knows.    Art

Porter 21919

Art,

As Jeff Maltby well knows I was having a little fun with him, he is a true aficianado of the 49 Fastback and knows these cars very well.

Having almost completed a 66 CDV resto there is nothing like taking an original car apart for the first time and you always know afterwards how to do it the right and easy way.

The 49 Cadillac is a true milestone car.

Porter

Ed Farish

Just my two cents worth about Jeff Maltby. He has been very helpful to me with regards to restoring my 49 coupe.
I bought a rear clip from him. Let me tell you -- His word is as good as gold.
Ed Farish clc #4095

Porter 21919

Ed,

Jeff Maltbys word is better than gold, platinum is going for $ 800 bucks and an ounce these days so we will elevate him to platinum status. A true Cadillac friend and a 1949 scholar. Hes pretty good with the other years too, just not an expert.

LOL,

Porter

Art #22010

Well, he took me under his wing when I knew no one. 4 yrs. later my series 62 is back on the road. Kudos to Jeff  Art

Porter 21919

Art,

Jeff is a 49 Fastback diehard. He would give you the chrome off his back if you asked. To quote him, he has a serious metal problem. I turned him in to a zero rust paint junkie, ask him about that.

Porter

Art # 22010

Porter, Hi, I bought that 92 this morning for 3300. Could not walk away. So we will see.  It has a cloth top, 9.9 out of ten. Could you recomend a care procedure for it.  I told him I would fix the faulty hose.     How does one tell the difference between the touring sedan of that year?  Thanks Art

Porter 21919

Art,

Congratulations. Typically the touring models had less trim and bright work. Probably different exterior badging too.

Check out these products :

http://www.303products.com/main.php TARGET=_blank>http://www.303products.com/main.php

Art #22010

Ordered some this morning. waxed it up, beautiful. So far so good. art

Porter 21919

Art,

If I am not mistaken (Im an ex boater) Sunbrella canvas used on the boats is similar to the phaeton ragtop material.

As long as you clean the top well and let it dry this product  will do the job for you, repel the moisture and protect from UV rays.

They still install the fake phaeton or ragtops on the new cars, people like them. A friend of mine picked up a 2002 Continental and had one installed.

You scored, be happy. Now dont neglect to treat that leather interior (Im assuming).

LOL,

Porter