News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

horn relay

Started by Jack, March 27, 2005, 06:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Can someone tell me if the horn relay is rebuildable? I have a 1955 fleetwood.I know it is not worth my time but just curios.Thanks,Jack.

Michael Stamps 19507

When I was in the AF we had a tool that would clean our relays.  I think it just passed a high current to the relay to unstick them.  

Stampie

Lynn 10923

Ive cleaned and reused relays a few times. I can be really cheap. Pry the tabs of the metal case up from around the base, and use a point file to clean the contacts. If theres no way to take the case apart, you may just have to get another one.

Lynn

JIM CLC # 15000

03-28-05
Jack, the pure and simple answer is, Yes.
Check out electric rebuilding/rewireing shops in your area.
Lynn gave a good answer, take it apart and clean it.
Also, Delco Ramy horn relays should be available from several sourses.
Good Luck,hope you can soon blow your own horn, Jim

Mike #19861

I have also on many occasions taken relays apart and repaired them. Normally, the points is all that needs cleaning and they can be reused.

If, however, the coil has burned out, it will need replacing. But, the standard GM 3-wire horn relays are still readily available and economical.

Mike