News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Brakes

Started by Geoff Newcombe CLC #4719, April 18, 2005, 05:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Newcombe CLC #4719

Steve,
Thank you but you didnt say anything about the 60s, your reply only covered up to 59.  But that is exactly the information Im looking for.  Could you tell me if the 60 and 59 use the same front drum?  Different hubs because of roller bearings instead of ball bearings I know, but if the drums are the same that gives me another search option.  
By the way, just to throw some more wood on this fire, my current front drums have a homemade spacer between the inner bearing and the inner grease seal.  I even have the repair order charging the former owner to make the spacers, done at the same time the front drums were R&Rd.  Without the spacers the inner face of the front drum drags on the side edge of the brake shoes :-).  My current front drums still have the yellow junkyard script on them stating they are 60 Cad, yeah right.  Now you all know further why I am anxious to get the correct front drums on the car.  
60 was the first year for the finned rear drums.  My new rear drums came from Rock Auto.  Both rear drums from Rock Auto, including shipping, were LESS than ONE front drum from Kanter WITHOUT shipping, and I would have paid Kanter their price but they are out of stock.  Thanks again.
Geoff newcombe

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Geoff:

You may want to review my previous post.   My Hollander Interchange Manual says that the front drums for 59 through 61 are the same. However, only 57 through 59 rear brake drums are interchangeable.

The front brake drums for 59 through 61 are interchangeable.  Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.

Geoff Newcombe CLC #4719

Got it Bill, thank you.  Ill let everyone know how it all turns out.
Geoff