News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Horn Relay????

Started by Bill Edmunds - #5484, January 03, 2006, 02:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Edmunds - #5484

When I attempt to blow the horns on my 1960 coupe, the only sound a get is a clunking at the horn relay.  Does this signify a bad relay or is the relay activating and the problem is further downstream in the wiring or horns?  I connected another horn that worked when removed a couple of months ago and get the same result.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Doug Houston

The sound of a horn relay clicking when the horn ring is pressed usually means that the relay is working. Its unusual for the relay to operate and not have the contacts connecting the battery to the horns. This does tell that the supply, or Battery terminal on the relay is live.

You need to determine that the horn terminal of the relay is hot when the relay operates. A test light or voltmeter from there to the chassis will tell the tale. From that point, the actual wiring from the relay to the horn needs to be checked to insure that the wires to the horn are in good order.

Its entirely possible that the contacts in the relay could be burned from years of use, or a bad overload, though its uncommon. Horn relay terminals are pretty husky, because horns draw a lot of current.  Fortunately, if your relay is bad, new relays are still on the shelves in the poarts stores for about any car.

denise 20352

> You need to determine that the horn terminal of the relay is hot when the relay operates. A test light or voltmeter from there to the chassis will tell the tale

Be sure to do that with the horn connected.  Dirty relay points that cant carry the current will often pass normal voltage when there is no load.

-denise

JIM CLC # 15000

01-04-06
Bill, If you have time on your hands and are just a little-bit machinely-inclined, you can take the horn relay apart and clean the contact-points, reassumbly, reinstall, test. You may want to paint it while it is out of the car. If you are careful, no one will ever know that it been apart. If the problem just showed-up, its most likely the relay. If the quality of the out-put of the horns has taken a while, I would suspect the horns require adjusting.
Good Luck, Jim