News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Whats the best tool/device to pull locks out of junk cars?

Started by Eric Maypother CLC #15104, January 07, 2006, 03:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Maypother CLC #15104

Hi all,
Ive been selling taillights on eBay for a friend that has a junk yard and was wondering if anybody knows of a good tool or device to pull locks or unlock trunks with out a key, it doesnt matter if I ruing lock or trunk, I think some people have used dent puller slide hammers, my friend bought a kit of master keys but say thier mostly useless, I see on the web a device called AABLE GM Persuader, its suppose to open all GM locks with no drilling required, but Id hate to spend $50 on something I dont know how good it will work. Even when my friend uses a front end loader to rip trunks open it can be a project, youd be surprised how much you have to wrestle the car with the loader before the trunk latch comes un-done, even stabbing trunk and bouncing car the weight on trunk still wont break latch, the other day trying to open the hatch on a Cavalier wagon he ended up just bending up the corners so I could un-screw taillights.
Thanks in advance, Ill let yall know when I get good Caddy parts on eBay again.
The 2 Caddy I couldnt sell I already made more just selling parts off them than what I could have got for them complete.
Eric :)

Lou 19058

Slide hammer works best and not the cheap little 3 pounders either.. Get a SGT81000 10 lbs slugger or a #9 Morgan knocker. Screw the screw in as far as you can and with one slap,out comes the lock cylinder. Now all you need to do stick a screwdriver in the slot to release the latch.  Good luck..

Porter 21919

Eric,

If you dont want to ruin the trunk if you remove the rear seat you can use a long extension and unbolt the lock mechanism with a socket.

Lynn Nicholls turned me on to that method.

For the doors why not use a drill bit and just drill it out ?

I would think the slide hammer method would do a lot of damage to the surrounding sheetmetal.

Porter

Ivan Zanatta

If your friend owns a junkyard, have a look through his old key collection. An old guy 30 years ago told me never throw away old keys and I have a big collection now. If you jiggle through similar keys (most of the locks will have some wear in them by now) youll usually find one that will open a trunk, etc. You can salvage the tumbler and get a new key cut. Ive never met one I couldnt persuade open, it just takes a lot of keys and a little practice.

JIM CLC # 15000

01-10-06
Eric, There is no good reason I can think-of to ruin doors and trunks to get-in. As Porter said, remove the rear-seat and useing a looong extention, remove the nuts holding the trunk latch. As for the doors, use either a wire or slim-jims. You can make Slim-Jims from binding-straps.
Good Luck, Jim

Fred Garfield 22310

Before starting in on the lock/latch, you might want to place something like a spare tire on top of the trunk lid, unless you dont care about the hinge hardware. Good luck!