News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Small block chevy in '37 LaSalle

Started by bigbeckley@outlook.com, May 01, 2021, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbeckley@outlook.com

Hello everyone... For right now I am putting a 327 Chevy engine in my '37 LaSalle... Just wondering should I   keep the shutter thermostat system on the radiator or go with the thermostat in the small block? I know the flathead Cadillacs never developed that much radiator pressure. Anyone else do a small block Chevy into a early Cadillac LaSalle... I am keeping the LaSalle 3 speed on the floor... Thanks for any replies... John C. Lehman... CLC #26365...

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day John,

Could you go with both?

But I do know that the Chev engines were designed to use a pressure system to increase the coolant boiling point, so you might need to convert your radiator to one that will take pressure so I am wondering if the original thermostat will take the extra pressure.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bigbeckley@outlook.com

Thanks Bruce... I know Cadillacs and LaSalles had huge radiators. A lot more volume of coolant. The system pressure is regulated by the radiator cap... I think I have an original rad. cap... I think they were rated a 4 lbs. Will have to experiment around by keeping the shutters open for now... John C. Lehman ... CLC # 26365...

Jamurray

They may have had huge radiators, but very few flathead owners brag about how cool they run. The issue may have been the engine design and not the radiator, but I would ditch the original vane actuating thermostat and use what came with the 327.

Assuming it comes to pass, a stretch perhaps, when I get to heaven I'm going find Zora Arkus-Duntov and thank him for his Chevrolet Small Block.