News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Townhall Meeting with CLC Execs @ Gettysburg GN

Started by Carfreak, April 19, 2024, 08:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carfreak

For those that have strong opinions about how the Club should be run, about decisions made by the Board or other topics you would like to discuss, have you registered to participate and attend the Townhall session during the Gettysburg GN? 

Priced so everyone attending the GN can afford to select this activity, its FREE!!!  You are asked to register so organizers will know how many people to expect.  It is even scheduled late in the day so as not to conflict with tours, meetings, going out with friends to dinner, etc.   

BTW, the GN is just about 51 days from now. Have you registered yet? Often members will reserve a room and then not follow through to register until the last possible date. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

MultipleCaddies

I would happily attend if I didn't live 2,500 miles away. The fact that the meeting is free doesn't make a meaningful difference in my ability to do so.

I do like how decisions made about how a forum used by people worldwide somehow have to be made in person at a meeting that most people cannot attend.

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: MultipleCaddies on April 19, 2024, 11:28:04 AMI would happily attend if I didn't live 2,500 miles away. The fact that the meeting is free doesn't make a meaningful difference in my ability to do so.

I do like how decisions made about how a forum used by people worldwide somehow have to be made in person at a meeting that most people cannot attend.

Mr or Mrs Doyle

We get it.  You aren't a fan of the decision to change the forum. 
CLC 35000 in number only

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on April 19, 2024, 11:30:46 AMMr or Mrs Doyle

We get it.  You aren't a fan of the decision to change the forum. 

Correct. Your point?

Big Fins

Not trying to be a prick here, but if you aren't a supporting member of the club, your opinions really have no bearing on how the club is run.

Join up, check into a local chapter. Even 2500 miles from the East Coast, I'm sure you have a local chapter. The last few GN's have been within driving distance for you. There are folks that chance driving 80 year old cars across country. I won't say I'm one of them, but that has to be a challenge to both car and driver.

I was going to Gettysburg, but other things came up to get in the way. I will however be in Concord and Murfreesboro. Driving to the west coast at my age is not that high on my to do list.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Its only 1000 miles for me.  If it was only 300 I'm not sure I would have the resources to attend. 

I think that was a good point being made there that there should be an online way to let the soon to be paying members of the forum have a say in how its run.  If only there was some sort of technology that would allow members of a group to communicate..... Like some sort of forum?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: Big Fins on April 19, 2024, 12:18:26 PMNot trying to be a prick here, but if you aren't a supporting member of the club, your opinions really have no bearing on how the club is run.

Join up, check into a local chapter. Even 2500 miles from the East Coast, I'm sure you have a local chapter. The last few GN's have been within driving distance for you. There are folks that chance driving 80 year old cars across country. I won't say I'm one of them, but that has to be a challenge to both car and driver.

I was going to Gettysburg, but other things came up to get in the way. I will however be in Concord and Murfreesboro. Driving to the west coast at my age is not that high on my to do list.

Quite frankly I don't care how the club is run. I'm not a member and not going to be a member. I care about how the forum is run. That is what is relevant to me, as well as to a much larger number of people than are club members. It's also very relevant to the powers that be that run the club, as closing off access to this forum will REDUCE new memberships, not increase them, especially over the long haul. It will also take away a source of information for an awful lot of casual enthusiasts who do not attend shows or join car clubs at all, they just drive and enjoy their cars. Paywalls and other inappropriate barriers to entry are nearly universal forum killers.

Big Fins

Quote from: MultipleCaddies on April 19, 2024, 12:46:51 PMQuite frankly I don't care how the club is run. I'm not a member and not going to be a member. I care about how the forum is run. That is what is relevant to me, as well as to a much larger number of people than are club members. It's also very relevant to the powers that be that run the club, as closing off access to this forum will REDUCE new memberships, not increase them, especially over the long haul. It will also take away a source of information for an awful lot of casual enthusiasts who do not attend shows or join car clubs at all, they just drive and enjoy their cars. Paywalls and other inappropriate barriers to entry are nearly universal forum killers.

You've made your point. No matter what, you're not going to open your wallet. Case closed.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dn010

The forum, or source of information, is not going anywhere. You're not losing access. Your ability to post questions here is what will change. Many questions have already been answered, you just have to use a google search to search the forum a specific way to find your answers. No one knows what the outcome will be yet but I am sure there will be some that are currently disgruntled, who will eventually pay and realize it is worth it. Those who choose not to pay can use other resources like facebook or justanswers maybe.

Or, maybe they can all band together to create their own forum with free membership.

Quote from: MultipleCaddies on April 19, 2024, 12:46:51 PMQuite frankly I don't care how the club is run. I'm not a member and not going to be a member. I care about how the forum is run. That is what is relevant to me, as well as to a much larger number of people than are club members. It's also very relevant to the powers that be that run the club, as closing off access to this forum will REDUCE new memberships, not increase them, especially over the long haul. It will also take away a source of information for an awful lot of casual enthusiasts who do not attend shows or join car clubs at all, they just drive and enjoy their cars. Paywalls and other inappropriate barriers to entry are nearly universal forum killers.

-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: Big Fins on April 19, 2024, 12:53:12 PMYou've made your point. No matter what, you're not going to open your wallet. Case closed.

You don't get to shut down civil debate just because you don't agree with what is being said.

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: dn010 on April 19, 2024, 12:59:02 PMThe forum, or source of information, is not going anywhere. You're not losing access. Your ability to post questions here is what will change. Many questions have already been answered, you just have to use a google search to search the forum a specific way to find your answers. No one knows what the outcome will be yet but I am sure there will be some that are currently disgruntled, who will eventually pay and realize it is worth it. Those who choose not to pay can use other resources like facebook or justanswers maybe.

Or, maybe they can all band together to create their own forum with free membership.

As I said in another post, "my way or the highway, don't let the door hit ya on the way out whiners" is a hell of a take when this car club and clubs in general are in decline. If you think that attitude will somehow get more people to join, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

druby

If you're not sitting on the National board, your voice & opinion doesn't matter, this is a "constructed criticism" conversation that some non-members are pointing out. Those that disagree seem to just want to shut Mr Doyle down, he has and others have stated very valid points that aren't really being addressed, and you think with the attitude of what he has stated "Your way or the highway". Frankly with a piss poor attitude and others seeing this,they are more likely not going to join the club. Hell the entire underacted minutes of the Winter Board meeting have not been released to the members. Why is it so hard to know who put the motion in front of the board to vote on this, why is it a secret ?
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jason Edge

Quote from: druby on April 19, 2024, 02:12:03 PMIf you're not sitting on the National board, your voice & opinion doesn't matter, this is a "constructed criticism" conversation that some non-members are pointing out. Those that disagree seem to just want to shut Mr Doyle down, he has and others have stated very valid points that aren't really being addressed, and you think with the attitude of what he has stated "Your way or the highway". Frankly with a piss poor attitude and others seeing this,they are more likely not going to join the club. Hell the entire underacted minutes of the Winter Board meeting have not been released to the members. Why is it so hard to know who put the motion in front of the board to vote on this, why is it a secret ?
Dan, there were lengthy discussions by many, including the executive committee, and other club officers and a consensus was reached that there were many advantages to transitioning the forums to a "public restricted" format where only CLC members could post on the CLC forums.  It really doesn't matter who presented the motion as it had already been agreed by committee it would be presented, discussed, and a vote taken. We took that vote and we overwhelmingly affirmed. It is not like one individual jumped up and made the motion.

I could start listing out dozens of reasons why the CLC forum should be for the benefit of CLC members, but that is not going to change anything at this point.  For anyone that does not like the decision, get involved with the CLC, run for the board, come to the meetings and we can have an honest conversation about any topic.

We have over 5000 members, and the forums will be fine. I will be surprised if we don't see a bump in membership, especially with e-memberships. I was thrilled a few years ago when we dropped the online rate from $25 to $35. I had argued for that for over a decade. I thought it was falling on deaf ears but a few of us kept diplomatically pushing and it finally happened.  We made this happen not by "after the fact" arguing on the CLC Forum, or taking a lynch-mob mentality to call out someone because we didn't like their stand on something, but instead worked through the club rules and procedures.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Carfreak

Quote from: MultipleCaddies on April 19, 2024, 11:28:04 AMI would happily attend if I didn't live 2,500 miles away. The fact that the meeting is free doesn't make a meaningful difference in my ability to do so.

Sarcasm duly noted.

The decision was made by an elected Board of Directors AND representatives from Regions of the CLC. Not being a member of OUR Club, it would not be expected for you to be aware of the process. 

EVERY MEMBER has an opportunity to attend Board Meetings, both Winter and Summer.  Chairs are always made available in the meeting room but most remain empty.

Board members are attending meetings at their own expense often traveling hundreds or thousands of miles distance by air, car or train to the meeting location.  Committee meetings are also held during the same time period. This process has been quite successful.

During COVID an online meeting was held which didn't seem as productive and successful; most people still like to interact in person with their peers. Persons nominated for a Director position understand the expectation of them to attend the meetings.   

EVERY MEMBER has the opportunity to bring topics to the attention of the Board, through an elected Director in their Region or appointed Region representative. 

The CLC National Driving Tour is being held late August in Wichita KS. I thought based on your boasting of superb mechanical skills, your cars would capable of driving at least that distance?

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: Carfreak on April 19, 2024, 03:13:13 PMSarcasm duly noted.

The decision was made by an elected Board of Directors AND representatives from Regions of the CLC. Not being a member of OUR Club, it would not be expected for you to be aware of the process. 

EVERY MEMBER has an opportunity to attend Board Meetings, both Winter and Summer.  Chairs are always made available in the meeting room but most remain empty.

Board members are attending meetings at their own expense often traveling hundreds or thousands of miles distance by air, car or train to the meeting location.  Committee meetings are also held during the same time period. This process has been quite successful.

During COVID an online meeting was held which didn't seem as productive and successful; most people still like to interact in person with their peers. Persons nominated for a Director position understand the expectation of them to attend the meetings.   

EVERY MEMBER has the opportunity to bring topics to the attention of the Board, through an elected Director in their Region or appointed Region representative. 

The CLC National Driving Tour is being held late August in Wichita KS. I thought based on your boasting of superb mechanical skills, your cars would capable of driving at least that distance?

So, not unlike when you want to fight a traffic ticket then.. want to fight it? You still have to pay it first. Want to state your position in front of the board that the forums should not be behind a paywall? Well you still have to pay to do that. Do you not see the irony there? You're again proposing something as a way to make one's position known, but first requiring that person to do the very thing that person is arguing against.

I like the continued smartass remarks like your last sentence there.. just shows the weakness of your own position. Strongly held views on solid ground do not require resorting to that in order to defend your argument. It's also an ignorant and reductive argument in its own right, as the reliability of one's vehicle to travel long distances is far from the only factor in determining whether or not someone can justify making a multi-day road trip across the country. Not everyone here is retired, nor does everyone choose to spend their time and expendable income the same ways. It's foolish to assume that anyone and everyone can automatically just make trips like that just because you might be able to. You surely knew all that, but it hurts your argument, so you conveniently left that part out.

Carfreak

I'm not retired and was just responding in the same manner that you have been posting; a bit arrogant and know-it-all.

The Board is responsible to make financial & policy decisions to best serve members.

quadfins

Mr Doyle has proven why the CLC Forum should belong to members only.

Actual CLC members have notified the moderators and are tired of this BS on our forum.

When Mr Doyle can show evidence of his "donations" to support our PRIVATE organizations paid-for forum, his credibility may be restored.

Until that time, this pointless thread will be locked.

Sincerely, your friendly, neighborhood "Forum Nazi" (as moderators have been called, in the past)

Prove me wrong, and I will reopen the thread.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4