News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hi I have a 1961 cadillac need help

Started by 61caddy, January 07, 2009, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

61caddy

Hi i have a 1961 cadillac with a 390 i was wondering if someone knows how much cfm the stock carb is i am planning to change it to edelbrock or holley not sure what i should get and how much cfm, not sure if my kick down link will work with them as well.
Also has anyone seen a different intake manifold or headers maybe better then stock?  ???

Walter Youshock

The stock 390 with 4 bbl was a top performer.  What exactly are you not happy with?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TJ Hopland

This may be a better place to ask that question.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/

This board is more about originality.  If you are willing to go as far as headers maybe swapping in a 67-76 472 or 500 would be the way to go, that family of motors has the most 'aftermarket' and 'hi-po' support of any of the cadillac motors.  The guys on the modified board can certainly tell you what involved in a swap like that.

Good Luck
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

a

thank you guys, well my carb now is almost done i think it might need a rblt soon, so instead i was thinking about getting a aftermarket carb it might be better but i am not sure

TJ Hopland

Factory stock is usually best unless you know exactally what you want and how to make it happen.   All cars leave the factory as a complete 'system'.  If you start changing things you have to know how they will effect the rest of the system.  Sometimes some changes can better suit your needs or take advantage of new technology, many times it just makes things worse.   If you tell us what part of the world you are in maybe someone can recommend a good carb shop in your area.   A good carb shop is getting to be as hard to find as some of the parts.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

a

I am Los Angeles maybe i can get mine redone does anyone know of a good carb shop

Otto Skorzeny

Hi a,

Daytona Parts Company
386-427-7108
www.daytonaparts.com
mail@daytonaparts.com

This company assembles nearly all the carburetor kits sold by other suppliers. They have the largest archive of original carburetor blueprints from the original manufacturers in the world. They make kits for virtually every automotive carb made from 1900 to 1980.

They also do top quality rebuilding of carburetors for those who don't wish to do it themselves. Check them out. You'll be impressed.

Ask for Ron Hewitt or Tim Hewitt.

There may be someone as good near you but I'd only deal with somebody I had a recommendation about. These guys are excellent.

Forrest
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

caddy61