News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Modified cadillac forum

Started by Technician!, October 13, 2022, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technician!

Is this forum no longer in existance?
Perfection bordering insanity

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, still there.

When I go to it, I see:-
Your connection isn't private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.modifiedcadillac.org (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

I have to press a couple of buttons to proceed, as the internet has decided to create hurdles as it is not regarded as a "Secure" area.

It is a pain having to do it all the time.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jw4

Looks like their SSL expired, or they never had one...  ;D
Just use the http instead of https (http://modifiedcadillac.org/)
Ivan Beliaev

Technician!

Thanks for the replies.
Ivan, I tried that and I get "This site can't be reached"

Carfreak

To repeat what our IT Team at work often suggests, clear your History (cache), close the browser, maybe even restart your computer and try again with a new browser.  Don't use a shortcut, type in the full web address  www.modifiedcadillac.org and see if that works. 

After reading this thread I visited the Modified Chapter a few times this evening without a problem.  Coincidentally a private discussion forum a few friends support doesn't seem to be working the past hour or so.  I believe both use the same ISP for web services.  Go figure.  Guess perhaps if the access problem continues tomorrow I'll follow my own advice. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

dinhnguyen57

How come the modified Cadillac Forum can not be a sub-topic like "general discussion" or "cars for sale"?  It sure would make it easier to access and have more visitors and contributions to the site.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

Carfreak

The Modified Chapter of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club is their own group similar to other CLC Chapters - 1941, LaSalle, DeVille Drop Tops, Forty Niners, etc. 

According to the CLC website:
A Chapter shall consist of Club members who have a special interest in a particular year or range of years, model, type or description of Cadillacs and/ or LaSalles, and who are recognized as a cohesive group of the Club.

There are also CLC Regions:
A Region shall consist of Club members within a defined geographic area who are recognized as a cohesive group of the Club.

Northeastern Regions
    Central Regions
    Southwestern Regions
    Southeastern Regions
    Western Regions

So to answer your question, the Modified Forum is their own Chapter (Club) of the CLC as such they maintain their own website.  There are no dues to be a member of the Modified Chapter as long as you are a CLC member. 

Unfortunately there are still some persons here who post derogatory comments regarding modified cars and likely even if invited, the Modifieds would prefer to remain separate from the CLC Forum.  When my friend, self-proclaimed purist Doug Houston was still around, I would razz him about his 'modified Cadillacs' since they had stainless brake & fuel lines, post-war Hydramatics in his pre-war cars, additional grounding studs on starters and other 'mods'.  :)

bctexas

Quote from: Technician! on October 13, 2022, 11:08:22 PMThanks for the replies.
Ivan, I tried that and I get "This site can't be reached"

Stephen - you may have "https only" selected in the security settings on your browser.  That prevents your computer from connecting to non-encrypted web sites.  The http (ie, non-encrypted) version of the page works.

Encrypting a web page (enabling "https") requires a document called a "digital certificate" be installed on the web server.  To enhance security, (just like changing passwords periodically) they expire and must be renewed periodically by whoever manages the web site.  The certificate for modifiedcadillac.org expired October 11.  If someone knows the owner of that page, please let them know that the certificate needs to be renewed.  I renewed about a zillion of these on my employers web pages when I worked for a living...

HTH!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Abe Lugo

I can't get on through my phone either. Will try on desktop with cleared cache later.
  BTW some modified convos do happen in the main board. 
  Derogatory comments should be kept to themselves(most people don't need or want to hear them anyhow)on either board bottom line.
 Be welcoming for another Cadillac enthusiast and potentially another Cadillac on the road.   
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Technician!

Still can't get to the forum part of the website, just the home page.

OldFatBald

I am also unable to get to the modified forum.
I get the following message,
"This page isn't workingwww.modifiedcadillac.org is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500"  Which is a generic error code.

I get the same response on my phone as on my desktop computer.

Poncholover

That forum is pretty much dead, which is a disappointment as I have an interest in hopping up the Flatheads.
Flattie Caddy

Carfreak

The Modified Chapter volunteer web guy Thomas mentioned within the past 10 days that the CLC Modified Forum needed significant attention due to recent provider updates. He was busy with another but smaller forum that required similar action.

He's aware and likely working on the issue.  I know the smaller forum took several days to make the updates, match previous settings, etc. (I'm not an IT person just interpreting what he explained).  Should hopefully be back online soon. 

UPDATE: found this in my email:

QuoteSo I had planned to do the forum software update when I had a few days off after Christmas.
But the host disabled PHP-5.6 recently. I saw no email about that happening.
I don't know when I'll get it updated. It may take a few days.

As for being 'dead', feel free to jump in anytime and start new topics. Pretty sure you'll get responses.  Similar to here, you can search previous discussions to review and/or comment on them. 

59-in-pieces

I agree with Abe.

If the Modified boys are having trouble, why not invite them to be a part of our group as an ongoing Section.

There is much to be learned from their posts about trouble shooting, and work arounds - not at all unique to "modifieds", but regular Cadillac of the same era.

Also, I read through the yellow highlighted list of SP... and that must have been a specific word search because more often than not the posts were made with an "in my opinion" or like covenant.
None of those posts were at all so repugnant as they are alleged to have been, to exclude anybody - IN MY OPINION.

I suppose you could arguer that LaSalle is not a REAL Cadillacs, even as a Companion car.
But, that would exclude a boat load of folks on this forum.
And by excluding the Modified folks is a form of artificially imposed form of ignorance foisted on the majority of us who wish to keep learning about our favorite cars - Cadillacs.

OR, like they used to have when news papers reported on Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How - and had a separate "Editorial" section.

So too, have the Modified Section - read it or don't - if your so incensed about big wheels - colors or other cosmetics changes.

Offered from the cheap seats of curmudgeons, who don't mind being ostracized.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

35-709

BTW, I was just on the Modified Chapter site 10 or 15 minutes ago, it would appear it is up and running again.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Poncholover

I suspect that much conversation, especially modified has migrated over to "faceplant" these days?
For those looking to tweak the OHV engines, there are extensive threads on the HAMB.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Carl Hugeness posting there recently on the LaSalle coupe that he has had since the 60's. :)
Sooo many cars, so little time!
Flattie Caddy

Poncholover

An Addendum, Only 3 posts to threads since Nov. Last Classified post was mid Oct,
Pretty sad :(
Flattie Caddy

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

It seems like there is little interest in Modified Cadillacs within the CLS group and that group seems to be the source of members for the Modified Chapter. Yes there are several Facebook groups regarding modifying Cad motors ranging (the groups) from stock engines to 1200 HP motors. IO think the lack of interest in the Modified Chapter might also have something to do with the Membership (source of Modified member) aging "out". My story and I'm sticking to it
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-