News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 cadillac eldoradeo starter questions

Started by 34858, January 11, 2024, 10:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi have a question on starters ,on my 73 eldoradeo it starting to sound different
when it start or hard to start  after it has been runing.are rebuilts or new better?
also question on auto seats about the motor that makes it move. what would i need to get done or whats involved to get it  to work.Thanks kenny
Kenny

TJ Hopland

Both a new or rebuilt starter from typical parts sources these days seem to be about a 50/50 shot of being garbage.  Best bet would be to get yours rebuilt or even rebuild it yourself.  Often times they just need to be cleaned and the brushes replaced.  If you do buy another one keep your old one to possibly rebuilt as a spare when/if you have issues with the replacement.

There are lots of things that can go wrong with the seats so maybe start another thread about that saying what happens when you try and move them.  Like nothing at all or do you get clicks or humming like its trying? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dochawk

swapping the starting motor is trivially easy.  Just be sure to undo the electric first so that it doesn't hang and strain the wires, and don't forget to reattach the heavy ground strap (it will *almost* start with it off).

they're not complicated to rebuild; the kits are chap when you can find them.

Or buy a cheapie to put on while you get around to rebuilding.

A local rebuild will almost certainly be better than a new Chinese one.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Kenny

James Landi

A "cranky" starter, especially when the engine is HOT, is often an example of BAD BATTERY CABLES. The wire under the plastic insulation can become so oxidized that it restricts the flow of amperage to the starter at critical times during cranking. Ensuring that the cables are the appropriate gauge, that the terminals and connection are clean and bright, and that the cables are new can fix what you believe to be a series of bad starter(s).
Also "LOAD TESTING" your battery can diagnose a marginal battery... here again, when the engine is hot and really challenges the CABLES, STARTER, and BATTERY,  a failing battery can be the cause.  ALSO, and out of time engine... one where the distributor is too advanced, can cause hard starting when the engine is hot--- this is especially true with low test, ethanol laced fuels.  I owned an old Cadillac that would start much easier when hot when I added a pint of Marvel oil to every fill up of gas.  James

badpoints

When the starter gets hot the magnets get weak. I have put ice on a starter to get it to work. I would go with a high torque mini starter.