News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1969 Wipers not parking correctly

Started by Rudolph Nicholson, April 29, 2024, 04:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudolph Nicholson

Hi members, 

I have a question regarding the parking position of my wipers on my 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.
Recently the wiper motor stopped working. I bought a brand-new wiper motor manufactured by Cardone from Rock Auto.

Upon installation we noticed the wipers do not park properly. They stick out above the hood.

When turning the wiper switch on they retract into the parking position below the hood briefly and then start operating normally. When turning the switch off they stop at the bottom of the windshield but does not retract into the park position.

On reactivation of the switch the same process described above repeats itself. At times the wipers park and unparks erratically and then eventually settles into the normal wiping mode. We have tried to adjust them to no avail.

Is there a specific adjustment procedure to follow?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Rudolph Nicholson

Big Fins

I'm late to the party but, take the wiring connector off of the wiper motor and clean it real good with any contact cleaner and a small, as in tiny, wire brush. Put some dielectric grease on the connector and place it back into position on the motor. They should work perfectly.

About a year back there was a tech article in the Self Starter on this and it worked perfectly for me on my '69 FWB.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Skelly

I had decent success loosening up the wiper arm assembly nuts under the cowl screen where they wipers are kept in synch with one another, then moving the wiper arms slightly below the normal park position, tightening the nuts, then returning the wiper arms to the normal park position.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)