News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Body Colour Change

Started by weephee, January 14, 2010, 07:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weephee

When a car is being restored and stripped down to the bare metal, does it matter if it is painted in a different colour than the original assuming the new colour is one that was offered by Cadillac at the time of production.   Does it affect value or desireability.   Thanks
Larry
Larry McPhee

76eldo

If it is a car that has the trip tag on the cowl, which spells out the code for the original color(s) of the car, and you paint it a different color, it will have a negative impact on the future value of the car.  It's your car, so you can do what you want with it.  If you have to change the color, if you stick to a correct color that was available in that model year, you will lessen the negative impact.  In other words, painting a 50's or 60's car with modern pearl white would be totally incorrect, and although it might look great, it would not be period correct at all.

If you are planning to keep the car for a long time, make it the may you want it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

As Brian said about using modern colors, there was a nice 1947 Cadillac convertible being painted in a fine shop some 20 miles from me a year or so ago. Turned out quite well, but since it was painted modern Cadillac Pearl white, the quality of the restoration did not show through, and it looked like a lead sled even though the car was done authentically. A total waste of money in my opinion. Try as you might, your eye simply expects the original type colors on a period car.

Stampie

I think the correct answer is it depends.  Say you have a 68 Convertible in Chestnut Brown.  It needs a repaint and isn't in good enough shape to keep it as an original paint.  If you paint it in San Mateo Red then if you want to sell later you will more likely have more lookers and therefore may be able to get a higher price.  So you use your proceeds and buy a 60 Convertible.  It too has worn factory paint but it's an original Ebony Black car.  Your new 20 year old girlfriend says that it would look great in aqua blue with red flames running down the sides.  You wanting to well lets just say make her happy decide to have it painted that way.  You just limited your market greatly and therefore the selling price if you want to get rid of it later.

Hope that helps,
Stampie

PS - In the end it's your car and do what you want.

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

weephee

Thanks for the replies.   The car's original paint colour is a pale or light green which is not my taste.   I want to paint it black which should go with the black and white upholstery.   Now for a second question.   Is it OK or preferred to paint with whatever paint they use these days or do I need to paint it in the original type of paint.   As you can tell, I know nothing about types of paint.   Thanks
Larry McPhee

76eldo

Depending on the year, it was probably painted in acrylic lacquer, which is almost impossible to get a professional shop to use nowadays.

Base coat- clear coat is the industry standard, and that's how most cars are painted today.

i had to get some bumper fillers paint-matched for my black 76 Eldorado, and we had to select from a lot of different blacks.  They are NOT all the same.

Hope your body is very straight and ding and dent free if you want a nice job in black.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

kgray39011

I guess the two questions I have on this subject is:

1. If the car is all original (original engine) the impact of a different color seems much greater than if you had an incorrect car (non-matching engine).

2. But then if you have a less desirable color combination (either matter of opinion in this case or what is the perceived most popular), an off green versus say a red or black, it seems the impact would be much less.

I guess if I had an all original car I would want it the correct colors but if I had a non-original car I would want it my favorite color. Just my thought...

Ken
Kenneth P. Gray - 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Imperial Blue
Christine (Wife) - 2010 Cadillac SRX Performance Package White Diamond
Looking for a 1949 Coupe Driver

weephee

Thanks Ken.  The colour is an almost flourescent green.   In my opinion one of the most hideous colours I've seen.   It is original to the car and I can't live with it so a change will be in the works
Larry McPhee

Brett Cottel

There are some really stunning green colors out there......how about a sweet green color that isn't exact but still keep the flavor? I love green cars, especially if there is some gold in the color. There are even better green's than this car but I found this easily on the net.
Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

P W Allen CLC# 20193

I agree with Brett!

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

weephee

I don't mind those greens but this one is more of a flourescent green.   You need sun glasses on when you look at it.   I think but I'm not sure that there was a dark green available in 68    If so, that is a colour I would consider for sure
Larry McPhee

jagbuxx #12944

Quote from: weephee on February 09, 2010, 07:16:10 AM
I don't mind those greens but this one is more of a flourescent green.   You need sun glasses on when you look at it.   I think but I'm not sure that there was a dark green available in 68    If so, that is a colour I would consider for sure
Look at code 36, Ivanhoe Green for 1968-it is a dark green. Or code 96, Monterey Green Firemist.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.