News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

429 valves and rockers question

Started by Matti R, May 08, 2021, 04:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti R

I got new pump gears and the spring for regulating valve. Old spring was below spec already. Quite remarkable difference in free length! That could have caused low oil pressure, I assume.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

What I have done in the past to improve the oil pressure is to place a washer, or two, at the outer end of the spring, which applies more pressure to the relief valve.   Worked every time, and never had a problem.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

russ austin

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 25, 2021, 08:10:49 PM
What I have done in the past to improve the oil pressure is to place a washer, or two, at the outer end of the spring, which applies more pressure to the relief valve.   Worked every time, and never had a problem.

That only raises the higher RPM oil pressure, not the idle pressure.
R.Austin

Jason Edge

Quote from: russ austin on May 25, 2021, 09:10:10 PM
Russ is correct. The relief valve sets a max oil pressure, and really has nothing to do with controlling idle or minimum oil pressure. From the factory, when the oil pressure reaches 30 to 35 psi on the 64 429, it overcomes the pressure of the relief valve spring and pushes the valve piston inward allowing the oil to exit a bypass channel. As pressure eases back, the spring again pushes back piston in the channel and closes the bypass channel.

If the relief valve gets stuck open you will see very low oil pressure as it is allowed to bleed off. If it is stuck closed you will develop very high oil pressure and you will see oil filter and other seals damaged (ie. oil leaking out!).   My experience has been  you will see them stuck open more than closed. This often happens if the front cover and oil pump assembly has been replaced and was not cleaned thoroughly leaving debris behind in the channel the valve piston moves back and forth.

I will also say having looked at over 4 dozen 429 front covers, this particular cavity seems fine.

One final comment, would be you can pick up an oil pressure guage and pop in the back of the engine where the oil pressure sending unit to the dummy light goes and get some exact readings.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: russ austin on May 25, 2021, 09:10:10 PM
I fully realise that, and one doesn't go too thick with the washers.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

rajeevx7

Quote from: Caddylackn on May 10, 2021, 04:39:26 PM

2.  Lack of zinc in modern motor oil caused premature wear of a high pressure contact part.

This this this! It's an additive, use it.

dadscad

The oil pump cover usually has a circular wear pattern from the pump gears. If so, they should be removed by resurfacing the cover.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Matti R

Finally I am priming the engine. I replaced 4 rockers and oil comes out only from those new ones when priming. I noticed that the new rockers have an oil groove inside helping oil to move to top of rocker arm. In old rockers the oil goes between the shaft and rocker but almost nothing comes to top of rocker arm. I think I will replace rest of the rockers to new design. New rocker closer to camera.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe