News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A few more questions about my '47 brakes. Missing parts?

Started by bobrich47, April 05, 2023, 05:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrich47

I'm rebuilding the brake system in my '47 & there are some (minor?) parts missing during disassembly. 

1. 4.0015 the dust seal around the brake drum. (I do have the brake drum silencer springs, 4.3873, that are listed for the '49 & '50 year models).

2. 4.0017 the gasket, front backing plate to knuckle.  (that must be why there is alot of grease on the backing plates during disassembly). Will a simple O ring be asufficient replacement?

3. 55.0035 the front wheel static collector.
     This is listed under radio in the exclusive accessories section.  Do these help?

What are these little metal pieces, spring silencers (1 in my hand & 1 on each spring on the old brake assembly in the photo) ?

My photos wont upload.  I'll send them in a follow-up post.

Bob Richards

bobrich47

Bob Richards

bobrich47

Not sure why the uploads freeze. Thisone is particularly stubborn.
Bob Richards

Cadman-iac

Hey Bob,

That 4.0015 dust seal if it's like other ones I've seen would be a metal piece that is welded or fastened to the backing plate in order to help prevent dust, dirt, and water from getting into the drum and brake parts. It's hard to tell from the picture you posted from the book. Is that from a parts book or a service manual?
 What I believe that is and how it works is it's a shield or baffle that goes either over the outside of the drum and is attached to the backing plate, or it still would be attached to the backing plate but would fit into a groove on the back of the drum. Either way, the purpose is to prevent a direct path for dirt/dust and/or water from entering the brakes.
 It's not a perfect design, but it works.

On later years brake drums and backing plates, the outer lip or edge of the plate fits loosely into a groove on the back edge of the drum to accomplish the same thing.

The 4.0017 gasket is just a flat rubber washer basically that seals the plate to the knuckle to prevent dirt from entering and grease from getting out. An O-ring will work in place of the gasket,or you could cut one out from gasket paper. Just check that it fills the gap if any between the plate and the knuckle.

The 55.0035 static collector was an attempt to stop some of the radio noise being created by the rotating wheels.
 I'm not sure just how effective they are, but you can go without them. I don't know if you can even find one unless someone is parting out a car that still has them.

As for those little clips or silencers, I've never seen them before. Not sure what their purpose is/was.

Hope I've helped a little bit.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

bobrich47

Hi Rick,thanks, a big help always. Yes,those pics are from my master parts book. the dust shield 4.0015, appears to be a separate "ring", that is held on with a spring to either the drum or dust shield. I'll recheck my fitment of the drums to the backing plate. I don't remember there being much of a gap when i removed them. I didn't realise that ring was an option until I looked through the book for parts. I believe mine fit as you described with like a groove.

I'll just make a gasket, as you described for the 4.0017.

I couldn't find a part name & # or even see them in the diagrams.  Nothing about them in the shop manual either.

I'm not too concerned about the static collectors. 

The last mechanic to work on this must have thought these items weren't necessary.

We'll talk soon. Take care, Bob!
Bob Richards

harry s

The 4.0015 dust shield is a thin metal ring that is galvanized and fits over the backing plate and extends over the small opening between the plate and drum. It has a clamp with a screw & nut for tightening. They are prone to rust and were probably thrown away at an early servicing. I had a set on my '37 Cad that survived. I have never seen another set especially on the post war cars.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

bobrich47

I figured as much.  Thanks Harry.

I put a new post on the tech/authenticity forum looking for info about the Fleetwood Robes that were sold as accessories back then.  I'd like to replicate one but I can't find any info or photos.  If you or anybody else can help, that would be great.

Thanks, Bob
Bob Richards

bobrich47

Bob Richards