News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 series 75 window switches

Started by limo Jason, March 02, 2024, 11:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limo Jason

Greetings, I've been working on the hydraulic windows on my 1949 series 75 and I'm just about finished.  However I'm having issues with both of the back window switches. Currently I can only lower the windows from the back. I suspect it's dirty contacts. About 2 years ago I had these apart and cleaned them and they worked for a short time only to stop again. Has anyone had any luck cleaning these or repairing them? They are different from the front doors and all the standard non-limo Cadillacs that I've see. Thanks 

TonyZappone #2624

As I recall, the chauffeur can raise the rear windows, he cannot lower them.  This gives the passenger the air "privacy" afforded by a limousine.  My two '56 Derhams were like that
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

limo Jason

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on March 03, 2024, 04:58:43 AMAs I recall, the chauffeur can raise the rear windows, he cannot lower them.  This gives the passenger the air "privacy" afforded by a limousine.  My two '56 Derhams were like that

Thanks Tony.  Same is true in 1949 for the drivers door, these are the rear and they did and should work in both directions.

tluke

Quote from: limo Jason on March 02, 2024, 11:49:08 AMCurrently I can only lower the windows from the back. I suspect it's dirty contacts

Like Tony, I first thought that meant that you could only lower the rear windows while sitting in the back and you thought the front switches had dirty contacts so you couldn't lower them from the front. As mentioned, that would be a feature on a formal limousine, not a problem. However you meant to convey the rear window switches won't raise the windows but the front switches will.

So while I have a limo, I don't have hydraulic windows, they're all electric but I assume there is an electrical component to them to activate the hydraulics. You mentioned you cleaned the switches and they worked for a while. I don't know how you cleaned them but I recommend using DeoxIT. It is very good at both cleaning the connections and protecting them afterwards. If it worked the first time it's probably the switches and the DeoxIT solution should be long lasting.

But it could also be that the act of removing the switches and reinstalling them jostled some bad wiring just right to make a connection again making it seem as if the switch cleaning was responsible and after driving the car for a while all the bumps jostled the wiring back to losing the connection again. That scenario is less likely however, since both windows won't go up.
1955 Cadillac Series 75
1957 Continental Mark II
1986 Ford F250