News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need easy way to re-install valve keepers 1947

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, February 17, 2024, 06:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I pick-up a 1947 Convertible project.....It's one of those "ran when parked cars"

Well it doesn't run now....I pulled heads and I have an assortment of bent and stuck valves....one of the valves was broken off when I got in there....

An old post by Terry Wenger or Harry Scott from years ago said to get tool KD 339 to compress the valve spring....and I found one on eBay....it works great !!

I can pick off the keepers...but putting them back on is really difficult....Especially when the motor is still in the car....

What's an easy way of putting them back on the valve stem??....I've tried the grease trick with a magnetized screw driver and It's almost impossible to get them in the slots on the valve....

I picked up a pair of pliers that were for this job but, they seem to be too small to hold and then spread over the end of the valve....I've already lost one keeper into the oil pan....I have a piece of screen there now....

Here are some pictures of what I'm fighting with now....

Any suggestions would be appreciated....Thanks,

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

Mike, It should be a requirement for them to say how well it "ran when parked". I'd say this one not so well. Anyway back to the valve stem keepers, I've always been able to use chassis grease to hold them in. A good amount and then push into place by hand until the ridge seats. The spring should come down straight enough for the washer to clear the top of the keepers. Good luck,
Harry
PS Glad you were able to find one of the KD tools. It makes the job a lot easier.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy

TJ Hopland

So how did other makes deal with that on flathead V's?   

Would the more common C shaped tool not work on this engine or was this a tool for doing it with the head on?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Baillargeon #15848

It's alot easier to do the valves with the engine out of the car but, this is what it is.

My topside creeper was really lacking as it only supports the hips when trying to get out over the motor.....so when you get out over the motor you have to support your upper body with one hand resting on the engine....leaving you with only one hand to work with over the the middle or the rear of the motor....

I found trying to put those valve clips onto the lower valve almost impossible.....

Here are some pictures of the topside creeper up against the car....you can see this just doesn't get you to where you have to be.....I'm going to find a different style creeper to support my upper body giving me use of both of my hands.....

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

With my valve lifter and the Harry trick using grease on the valve keepers I still needed a way to put those clips on with one hand....

I went back into the forum and found a tip by the late great John Washburn....He said to get a pair of KD 609 magnetic pliers....It is great to be able to reach back some 15 years into the forum for these hidden gems of knowledge.....

I found a pair on eBay and they work great !...They are small and very light, the magnets hold the keepers in place and then make it easy to place them on the valve....then you can let go of the pliers and they just hang there while the valve spring lifter is lowered over the keepers....voilĂ .... all the other valves were taken care of quickly and easily....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

Mike, You are right about the job being easier with the engine out of the car. I think the mechanics back then had 360* wrists for those tight places. That is a "cool tool".    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

35-709

;D   They were probably a lot younger than us old duffers too.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 35-709 on March 03, 2024, 07:28:51 PM;D   They were probably a lot younger than us old duffers too.
Plus, the mechanic probably had an Apprentice or two to do the "keeper" holding chores.   Remember that the younger the person, the faster they heal up.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon